Recent promos suggest Disney restaurants are in trouble - why?

Sloan

I am guessing that, in part, it is because they have lost business from people like me. I am a Florida resident. For about 15 years, I always had an annual pass and a Disney Dining / Tables in Wonderland membership. I would visit several times a year, for visits of 3 to 6 days. I would typically have dinners at the signature restaurants every single night of my stay. Quality was very, very good. Jiko had Anette Grecchi Gray. Victoria and Albert's, with the exceptional Scott Hunnel, was part of the discount program. Other talented chefs like Phillip Ponticelli were doing great things at Citricos. Not any longer. (Hunnel is not "gone", but is now in an executive position, Ponticelli is at a private restaurant at Golden Oaks, and Gray was the first one to go - hired away by the corporate owner of T.G.I. Fridays). The Disney Dining Plan eroded quality, or that was my perception - there were probably several other factors at play as well.

I live in Fort Lauderdale, which has a decent culinary scene, with easy access to the even fancier Miami restaurants. Fine dining is expensive here. With my discounts, the meals at Disney's signature restaurants were a relative bargain. With my Passholder / Florida Resident discounts, my off-season 3 to 6 day stays and Moderate and Deluxe resorts were pretty reasonable. No longer. The TiW card has more than tripled in price. Higher room rates, coupled with inferior discounts, make the room prices seem like anything but a bargain. On-property transportation quality and availability declined. I would often stay at monorail resorts to avoid having to drive after a big meal with wine and/or cocktails, but cutbacks in hours of operation and overcrowding cut away at that benefit.

I have not stopped taking my ‘foodie’ vacations - I’m just spending those dollars at non Disney destinations, for much better value. I certainly miss the Disney trips, but the quality / value equation just went too far out of balance to keep me going. We’ll see - if they keep offering these discounts and incentives they very well might tempt me back, but if the quality is not back as well, they won’t keep me ...

tirian

I am guessing that, in part, it is because they have lost business from people like me. I am a Florida resident. For about 15 years, I always had an annual pass and a Disney Dining / Tables in Wonderland membership. I would visit several times a year, for visits of 3 to 6 days. I would typically have dinners at the signature restaurants every single night of my stay. Quality was very, very good. Jiko had Anette Grecchi Gray. Victoria and Albert's, with the exceptional Scott Hunnel, was part of the discount program. Other talented chefs like Phillip Ponticelli were doing great things at Citricos. Not any longer. (Hunnel is not "gone", but is now in an executive position, Ponticelli is at a private restaurant at Golden Oaks, and Gray was the first one to go - hired away by the corporate owner of T.G.I. Fridays). The Disney Dining Plan eroded quality, or that was my perception - there were probably several other factors at play as well.

I live in Fort Lauderdale, which has a decent culinary scene, with easy access to the even fancier Miami restaurants. Fine dining is expensive here. With my discounts, the meals at Disney's signature restaurants were a relative bargain. With my Passholder / Florida Resident discounts, my off-season 3 to 6 day stays and Moderate and Deluxe resorts were pretty reasonable. No longer. The TiW card has more than tripled in price. Higher room rates, coupled with inferior discounts, make the room prices seem like anything but a bargain. On-property transportation quality and availability declined. I would often stay at monorail resorts to avoid having to drive after a big meal with wine and/or cocktails, but cutbacks in hours of operation and overcrowding cut away at that benefit.

I have not stopped taking my ‘foodie’ vacations - I’m just spending those dollars at non Disney destinations, for much better value. I certainly miss the Disney trips, but the quality / value equation just went too far out of balance to keep me going. We’ll see - if they keep offering these discounts and incentives they very well might tempt me back, but if the quality is not back as well, they won’t keep me ...
Anecdotally, my job is in Disney's coveted six-figure range, and none of my 22 coworkers plan on returning to Disney parks soon. The reasons? (1) Food is too expensive and the dining plan isn't worth its price. (2) The hotels are outrageous and Disney must've lost its mind.

Interestingly, few of them would consider staying off property because they LIKE the Disney bubble.

Disney seems to have forgotten that generally speaking, the more money someone makes, the more well traveled they are, and the more familiar they are with prices and value.

beertiki

I think most of the food in the parks sucks and is extremely overpriced. World showcase not included. What bothers me is Captain Cooks Nachos. One of my favorite meal, and underpriced. Why can't they serve that, or a slightly different variation all over property. The flatbreads/pizza are a joke. Up the road, at a different park, you can get a slice of pizza that is edible and a fair price for in a park. When we eat a Finneagans, I always wondered why can't Disney have something like this?

I think things are changing though.

disneyflush

Our last trip was in 2013 and we ate off-site every night after the first. Our family of 5 could do so for ~$60 where on-site a similar meal would run ~$120 up to $250 depending on the meal. The % of people that are fine paying whatever Disney wants to charge for food will just keep declining as long as the 2 Disney Dining Constants (increased prices and lowering food quality annually) continue at their current paces.

JohnD

I think it's a couple of things:
  1. International tourism to the US is down this year
  2. Disney's "grow revenue through price increases not attendance" strategy is ... lowering attendance
  3. Competition with Disney Springs
  4. As others have noted, it's frequently a hassle to park at a Disney resort for dining. You're treated like you've been caught trying to smuggle another seven dwarfs across the border or something.

5. Change in structure/higher prices for Annual Passes. People aren't renewing or are willingly, especially for Florida Residents, going to lower levels to block themselves out from certain time periods to save money (e.g. downgrading from Platinum or Gold to Silver). Fewer people showing up = less money spent = more discounts offered in certain restaurants.

Hockey89

In my experience V&A is the only world class place at Disney worth the price.... The other sig places are so hit or miss. One time it is great the next I want to scream which is a huge buzz kill... Other guests wearing tank tops and baseball hats acting like jackasses does not help either. DDP has killed quality and the prices are crazy compared to places in boston/nyc vs quality.

I still go to sig places bc the park food sucks beyond belief and that includes epcot's world showcase...

Hockey89

Our last trip was in 2013 and we ate off-site every night after the first. Our family of 5 could do so for ~$60 where on-site a similar meal would run ~$120 up to $250 depending on the meal. The % of people that are fine paying whatever Disney wants to charge for food will just keep declining as long as the 2 Disney Dining Constants (increased prices and lowering food quality annually) continue at their current paces.
You can go out to dinner with five people and only spend 60 dollars including tip? Where? I barely can do that at five guys

Hockey89

When did you see a drop in quality from V&A. Last time I went was 2015 and it was still outstanding... Has the quality dropped since?

Sloan

When did you see a drop in quality from V&A. Last time I went was 2015 and it was still outstanding... Has the quality dropped since?
No, the quality there is still exceptional and I did not mean to suggest otherwise, however they no longer accept the TiW discount, and that was my point. I have not been back since Chef Hunnel was promoted to Executive Chef of the Grand Floridian.

Hockey89

No, the quality there is still exceptional and I did not mean to suggest otherwise, however they no longer accept the TiW discount, and that was my point. I have not been back since Chef Hunnel was promoted to Executive Chef of the Grand Floridian.
Awww... Ok, I missed that point. I always eat in the Victoria room and love it...

John park hopper

There is a limit as to what people will pay. As an example here in SC hunting licenses were very inexpensive, the state in their infinite greed doubled the cost and guess what revenue went down. The marginal hunter who bought a license every year because it was cheap and never or hardly went hunting stopped buying due to cost. From some of the posts here sounds like a similar stituation is occurring with AP. Wake up Disney --there is a cost limit for many. It's the adults who take their children and it is those children who return as adults.

asianway

I'd bet that all of that is true. I'd also add, unless this has changed in the last 3ish years or so, that there was drop in food quality / dining experience at the same time there was an increase in prices.

I've said this before: I was the guy who'd pay the premium price to eat at the resorts / in the parks. Each night I'd plan something somewhere and, excepting for a very few restaurants which I didn't care for, I enjoyed it. I knew that the same, or better, quality could be had off-site at the same, or lesser, price. Still, I was in. I enjoyed the food. I enjoyed the atmosphere. I thought it was neat to eat inside the parks / resorts. That was worth a bit of a premium to me. There was about 7 years of doing this, multiple trips a year, each evening having a sit-down meal.

Then, around 2014-2015 I noticed changes. Cloth napkins were being swapped for paper napkins. This is OK if it's a BBQ place but not a higher end place. The food wasn't really as good. The prices went up. I went several times across 2014-2015 and I remember my last on-site meal and me thinking, "This just isn't worth it any longer." That's not a good place for a customer to end up. Since then, I've just eaten off-site, though my trips have fallen off because the whole resort started feeling like "not worth it any longer". I haven't been to WDW since 2015. Mind you, this isn't a "I can't pay that price" but more of a change from, "Yeah, it's more expensive but it's still pretty good and it's a neat experience," to, "This isn't good. It's even more expensive. Now I feel stupid paying the premium."

That's where it stopped for me. I'm guessing others have arrived at the same conclusion. Your long-distance travelers probably wouldn't do that because they have no frame of reference.
No prime rib on the buffets was my tipping point. How Chef Mickeys could manage to double the price in around 12 years AND remove the most expensive item on the menu is beyond me,.

Brad Bishop

Anecdotally, my job is in Disney's coveted six-figure range, and none of my 22 coworkers plan on returning to Disney parks soon. The reasons? (1) Food is too expensive and the dining plan isn't worth its price. (2) The hotels are outrageous and Disney must've lost its mind.

That's where I landed. I'm actually going back in October. I had no intentions to but won tickets through work for one day. I'm a single guy so I figured I'd take my grandson. The trip plan is: Drive down Friday. Do MNSSHP (which I think he'll like) when we arrive. Do the free day at MK on that Saturday. Drive up Sunday.

I'm staying off site and the only reservation I've made is at the Skipper Canteen at the MK. It's mainly out of convenience and partly because it wasn't there the last time I was there.

No trips planned after that. This one was really just triggered because: free tickets.

For me, and others, we're kind of at the point where Disney has to win us back. Maybe they don't care to because they have deeper pockets to reel in. I don't know. Right now, there's not much drawing me down there.

I even briefly considered trying to upgrade the free tickets to park hoppers and heading over to AK to see Pandora. I didn't really care, though. I'll just do the free MK day and leave. They did get my money for MNSSHP which I think my grandson will enjoy.

wendysue

For us, it was 100% based on price. We go to Disney 1x-2x per year for 4-7 days per trip. I travel frequently and know what costs are at comparable restaurants in large cities around the country. We stay in the Boardwalk area (typically Swan or Dolphin) because we like to be able to walk to Epcot for a couple of drinks at night. We always rent a car for the flexibility in traveling park to park. Previous trips we may eat 1 or 2 dinners off site within a week with the remainder of the nights eating at a table service restaurant on property. This trip we only had one dinner on site at the Biergarten because my daughter loves the show. The rest of the nights we went off site for dinner or just snacked around Epcot for dinner at the F&G festival.

Flying Fish is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. I like the atmosphere, the menu, and the service. There have been trips where we stopped for dinner multiple times on our way to Epcot. This trip, when we looked at the prices on the menu before we entered, we decided to skip it. It is at the point where we felt the prices are just unjustifiable. This was at a place that we actually think has quality food.

In general, the non-signature restaurants are average at best. There was no way we were paying Disney prices for a meal at a table service that we wouldn't even enjoy when we could easily get off site for 1/2 the price at a better restaurant. It wasn't worth the price for the convenience. Our previous trip, we did continue to eat most meals on site, but when I paid the bill, I just felt ripped off. If they don't do something about the pricing and quality, we will continue to eat off site in future trips.

Exactly! We now rent a car and eat offsite, and it's still cheaper than eating onsite..

jt04

Disney's table service restaurants are in trouble.

From my casual observations,

Your casual observations have led you to a false conclusion.

Florida is having a localized heat wave. Pretty sure that affects an individuals desire for a heavy 'sit down' style hot meal. Nothing to see here.

PS- before anyone starts crying AGW wolf, Indiana and other parts of the mid-west are having one of the coolest summers on record. That is why they track averages. Because science.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom