Recent Park Hours Change

StarshipDisney

Original Poster
I looked and did not see a thread on this. Sorry if I missed it.

I looked on My Disney this morning and had a message from Disney about a Fastpass change they had made to my itinerary. I looked into why and found that Magic Kingdom park hours for Monday, 12 September 2016 had changed from 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM. Upon further look, I found that Animal Kingdom park hours for Friday, 16 September 2016 had been extended from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM and also that Magic Kingdom hours for Saturday, 10 September 2016 had been extended to 12:00 AM.

This gives me hope that Hollywood Studios hours may yet change and they can stop the very stupid idea of making you choose between Fantasmic and Star Wars Galactic Spectacular that are scheduled for 8:30 PM and 8:45 PM respectively. If that schedule holds, then you cannot catch all of both shows. It makes no sense to me that Disney would make it such that you cannot see both on the same night.

JUFL2019

I looked on My Disney this morning and had a message from Disney about a Fastpass change they had made to my itinerary. I looked into why and found that Magic Kingdom park hours for Monday, 12 September 2016 had changed from 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM. Upon further look, I found that Animal Kingdom park hours for Friday, 16 September 2016 had been extended from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM and also that Magic Kingdom hours for Saturday, 10 September 2016 had been extended to 12:00 AM.

This gives me hope that Hollywood Studios hours may yet change and they can stop the very stupid idea of making you choose between Fantasmic and Star Wars Galactic Spectacular that are scheduled for 8:30 PM and 8:45 PM respectively. If that schedule holds, then you cannot catch all of both shows. It makes no sense to me that Disney would make it such that you cannot see both on the same night.

I actually think it makes sense. The viewing area for the galactic spectacular isn't very large so by having Fantasmic show near the same time it spreads out the crowds. Not to mention normally people are lining up and grabbing spots an hour+ earlier so even if they spread the times out once fantasmic let out there wouldn't be any spots left.

Jon81uk

Yep I think they want you to spend two nights at DHS. The Star Wars spectacular capacity isn't great and also it keeps people out of the Magic Kingdom.

StarshipDisney

Original Poster
This is the first that I have heard about the Star Wars viewing area being small. Maybe it was discussed and I missed it since they are so many marathon (very, very long) threads here. I can't keep up with all of them.

So why then were the shows 30 minutes apart for awhile earlier this year? So they change to 15 minutes apart based on smaller crowds to keep them separate? Guess I miss the logic there unless the 30-minutes apart was recognized as a problem.

If the viewing area is so small, then they should Fastpass it and admit so many standbys and then simply turn the rest away. That way you understand clearly that it's one or the other. Disney should advertise openly in the park brochure that you cannot see both on the same day.

Also, getting back to why I wrote the thread...you may want to check for potential park hour changes during your vacation. I just got 4-hours added to our total available park time (1 hour AK, 3 Hours MK).

Biff215

This is the first that I have heard about the Star Wars viewing area being small. Maybe it was discussed and I missed it since they are so many marathon (very, very long) threads here. I can't keep up with all of them.

So why then were the shows 30 minutes apart for awhile earlier this year? So they change to 15 minutes apart based on smaller crowds to keep them separate? Guess I miss the logic there unless the 30-minutes apart was recognized as a problem.

If the viewing area is so small, then they should Fastpass it and admit so many standbys and then simply turn the rest away. That way you understand clearly that it's one or the other. Disney should advertise openly in the park brochure that you cannot see both on the same day.

Also, getting back to why I wrote the thread...you may want to check for potential park hour changes during your vacation. I just got 4-hours added to our total available park time (1 hour AK, 3 Hours MK).
Even with the 30 minute separation, it is near impossible to rush out of Fantasmic in time to get in a good position to see the entire Star Wars show. While you can see some aspects of the show from different areas, you really need to be in the main hub to fully appreciate it.

As others have said it's likely a smart move on Disney's part given both capacity and the need to draw guests back another day (even though there's little else to do).

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....crap....now I have to update my OCD spreadsheet for my upcoming trip. YAY for more park hours but stuff like this drives my OCD over-planning brain crazy

Jon81uk

Wait, Disney changed park hours a few weeks out?!? This is amazing and unprecedented!

(This completes heavy sarcasm mode) :D

I get your point, hours (especially the Magic Kingdom) do extend a few weeks out. But at the moment we have new Star Wars Spectacular fireworks at DHS and they have only just announced the dates through to October 1st, which is only six weeks in advance and therefore makes planning Fast Pass harder. Also Animal Kingdom is extending into the evening when historically they have only been open to 5pm, so extending hours to 9pm is a big change for that park, even if they haven't confirmed exactly what entertainment will be available in the evening.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I get your point, hours (especially the Magic Kingdom) do extend a few weeks out. But at the moment we have new Star Wars Spectacular fireworks at DHS and they have only just announced the dates through to October 1st, which is only six weeks in advance and therefore makes planning Fast Pass harder. Also Animal Kingdom is extending into the evening when historically they have only been open to 5pm, so extending hours to 9pm is a big change for that park, even if they haven't confirmed exactly what entertainment will be available in the evening.

This. I'm also disappointed that fantasmic is typically at 8pm and fireworks at 815 so you can't do both on the same night.

StarshipDisney

Original Poster
The park hours seem to keep changing recently. I just saw yesterday to where the MK opening time for Saturday 10 September, Monday 12 September, and Saturday 17 September changed from 0900 to 0800. These are not early Magic Hours, just opening earlier. The early Magic Hour (0800-0900) for MK shows on Friday, 16 September.

I only checked my pertinent dates.

So here I was yesterday making last minute adjustments to my Fastpasses again. I am less than 30 days out at this point and while I do appreciate the extra park time a little stability would be also be nice.

StarshipDisney

Original Poster
This. I'm also disappointed that fantasmic is typically at 8pm and fireworks at 815 so you can't do both on the same night.

I have heard tell the reason for this is because the viewing area for the Galactic Spectacular is small and that is why Disney is making you chose to see one or the other, but not both on the same night, in order to separate the crowd. This is nothing short of poor.

DABIGCHEEZ

IMO... This is a perfect example of how the "New" Disney doesn't care about guest experience like the "Old" Disney used to. This just comes down to poor planning on Disney's part and the thinking... Oh they will just have to comeback another day to see the other one.

EDIT: To add my wife, daughter and son just saw the 8:30 Fantasmic! tonight. They said it was kind of ruined by the SW fireworks booming throughout the show.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Having just left DHS, I feel these new hours work great. It wasn't pandemonium getting a spot for Star Wars and we were in line for a bus right as Fantasmic ended, so it was better for emptying the park. I was a fan. You can see the 17-year old nighttime show another night. Or just skip it and see the impressive Star Wars show again.

AEfx

[The Studios have always scheduled their shows in such a way to be inconvenient to hop from one to another, this is no exception. Given that they are selling this media blitz that suddenly Star Wars has arrived because they've thrown up some fireworks and a fashion show, they have to make it feel as much of an "event" as possible.

Basically, they don't want you to hop between them so you'll come back to see both and spend more time at the park that hurts the most for later guests (most folks head to MK or Epcot as default as generally they are open later).

DABIGCHEEZ

Not Always... We've gone to early Famtasmic every year and the Frozen fireworks would begin as we were exiting the show...Not during it.

DABIGCHEEZ

Having just left DHS, I feel these new hours work great. It wasn't pandemonium getting a spot for Star Wars and we were in line for a bus right as Fantasmic ended, so it was better for emptying the park. I was a fan. You can see the 17-year old nighttime show another night. Or just skip it and see the impressive Star Wars show again.
And that is the problem...the guest should be able to see all offerings at the park in one day. Imagine if MK firework would go off during the Electrical parade. Bad planning in my book. It doesn't matter how old the show is... People still enjoy it. With your logic...you should waste a second day at MK to go on Space Mtn, COP, and Haunted Mansion you know...since they are so old.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

And that is the problem...the guest should be able to see all offerings at the park in one day. Imagine if MK firework would go off during the Electrical parade. Bad planning in my book. It doesn't matter how old the show is... People still enjoy it. With your logic...you should waste a second day at MK to go on Space Mtn, COP, and Haunted Mansion you know...since they are so old.
You haven't been to Disneyland, I take it?

StarshipDisney

Original Poster
I only get to go to WDW every few years and this time had a 6-year gap (Last trip 2010). And even then my wife and I cannot manage to match up more than 1-week of leave at a time so 7 nights is max. I cannot spend 2-days at HS unless I eliminate something else that I have planned.

I do like Fantasmic myself and planned the Fantasmic dinner show. So thanks to Disney for making me wait another 3-years or so to see the Galactic Spectacular. I am not aware of a similar situation at MK, AK, or EPCOT. I have nothing positive to say about the situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom