Realistic Imagineering - WDW 5th Gate Project

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I've been doing some thinking about the project and wanted to pose two questions for everyone:

1) Which would be more appealing? Would you rather work in teams for this project or would you rather work individually?

2) Would you rather wait until after the Sole Imagineering Comp is complete/almost finished? Or would you rather continue with the former plan as scheduled?

(I will say an added benefit to the 2nd option is that I will have enough time to plan out the intricacies of each phase so that everything will run fluidly and there will be some surprises along the way :))

Let me know what you think!

RMichael21

1) Which would be more appealing? Would you rather work in teams for this project or would you rather work individually?
I would say individual would be better for this kind of thing.

2) Would you rather wait until after the Sole Imagineering Comp is complete/almost finished? Or would you rather continue with the former plan as scheduled?
Being the host of TSI, I would obviously would rather wait so my contestants could focus on the competition, but let's see what the others think.

MCParradox

I've been doing some thinking about the project and wanted to pose two questions for everyone:

(I will say an added benefit to the 2nd option is that I will have enough time to plan out the intricacies of each phase so that everything will run fluidly and there will be some surprises along the way :))

Let me know what you think!

I've already got quite a bit done on my own, and I can't really see teaming up with someone else being a possibility at this stage, especially considering all the ideas I have planned for later phases in my head (I have about 4 phases worth of stuff flying around in my head!). Also, having someone else to work with would probably be a problem for me because of timezones and the hours I tend to work on this project at (early hours of the morning, probably not the best idea... XD). Also I'm just generally pretty antisocial :p

As for waiting for the other competition to finish, I'll never argue with having more time! I'm well on track to hit the original February 27th deadline, but if this gets extended it gives me a chance to flesh out my ideas further and produce more concept sketches and stuff, which is great! :D So I'm all for waiting if that's the general consensus.

MCParradox

So, yet another question, how much would hotel construction / operation cost? Not necessarily for phase 1, but I have some plans... Also, is there some sort of guide on costs for general buildings? I.e turnstiles, ticket booths, themed facades, service areas etc... And paths / bridges?

It seems I had more than one question after all! I don't even know if we're factoring all this stuff in!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
So, yet another question, how much would hotel construction / operation cost? Not necessarily for phase 1, but I have some plans... Also, is there some sort of guide on costs for general buildings? I.e turnstiles, ticket booths, themed facades, service areas etc... And paths / bridges?

It seems I had more than one question after all! I don't even know if we're factoring all this stuff in!
So my thought with this competition is the "game" will get more intricate and complex as the game progresses.

I want to make the first phase easy for everyone so that everyone has their "base" park. Once everyone has a base park then we can start factoring in the things that you mentioned. Because the popularity of your park will determine what type of hotels are required to fit your occupancy.

My goal for this project is that each person has a different experience along the way. I had spoken with another contestant about this, but I had a vision that for Phase 2, as an example, let's say it's 2018 in our game, and The Good Dinosaur is a smash hit and Disney fans are wondering why it hasn't been included in the parks? It will be your decision as an imagineer to give into the public demands or to create something original instead. Your decisions will impact the public perception of your park, which varies among each contestant.

The goal would be to keep the public perception high and your revenue flowing, all of which will be elaborated on as the phases progress. Whenever the phases end, whoever has the highest rated park will be the "winner"

I plan on having an award ceremony of sorts, so anyone who participates will end up winning some kind of award (even if it's the best bathroom award;))

This is why I hope a lot of people are interested in this and several members want to participate. Because I think it would be beneficial to all if there are many contestants, therefore when we do the Park Reviews segment at the end of each phase, one negative review won't completely tank someone's park rating. The more the merrier!

Hopefully that answers your questions

MCParradox

So my thought with this competition is the "game" will get more intricate and complex as the game progresses.

I want to make the first phase easy for everyone so that everyone has their "base" park. Once everyone has a base park then we can start factoring in the things that you mentioned. Because the popularity of your park will determine what type of hotels are required to fit your occupancy.

My goal for this project is that each person has a different experience along the way. I had spoken with another contestant about this, but I had a vision that for Phase 2, as an example, let's say it's 2018 in our game, and The Good Dinosaur is a smash hit and Disney fans are wondering why it hasn't been included in the parks? It will be your decision as an imagineer to give into the public demands or to create something original instead. Your decisions will impact the public perception of your park, which varies among each contestant.

The goal would be to keep the public perception high and your revenue flowing, all of which will be elaborated on as the phases progress. Whenever the phases end, whoever has the highest rated park will be the "winner"

I plan on having an award ceremony of sorts, so anyone who participates will end up winning some kind of award (even if it's the best bathroom award;))

This is why I hope a lot of people are interested in this and several members want to participate. Because I think it would be beneficial to all if there are many contestants, therefore when we do the Park Reviews segment at the end of each phase, one negative review won't completely tank someone's park rating. The more the merrier!

Hopefully that answers your questions

Thanks, that makes sense, I'm looking forward to the further phases :) But that doesn't answer the questions about the construction costs for buildings and such. I'm going for all out realism with my plans, so I'm factoring in backstage service areas, and I still don't know how much of my budget I should be spending on the entrance buildings! And maybe paths can be ignored (or bundled into other costs), but bridges are sure to be expensive, is there any sort of guide on them? Thanks again :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Thanks, that makes sense, I'm looking forward to the further phases :) But that doesn't answer the questions about the construction costs for buildings and such. I'm going for all out realism with my plans, so I'm factoring in backstage service areas, and I still don't know how much of my budget I should be spending on the entrance buildings! And maybe paths can be ignored (or bundled into other costs), but bridges are sure to be expensive, is there any sort of guide on them? Thanks again :)
If you look at the first amendment post, page 2 of the thread, towards the bottom I had "Land Renovation" and Electric/Power/Sewage.

I wrote those two with the thought that since everyone's park should be relatively the same size, therefore all of the costs that you are describing would be equal among everyone and fall into those categories. Perhaps I should rename those two concepts to alleviate further concerns.

It's a bit too complicated in Phase 1 to account for the very small individual components (ie ticket booth, path, etc) I lumped all of that in with Land Renovation and any backstage service areas in with backstage stuff that I titled Electric/Power/Sewage which I will rename to include Backstage service areas.

Basically what that means is aside from Lake construction (which can be quantifiable), it's too challenging to consider the price for each path piece, especially since each park is going to be so unique from the next. I don't know how everyone is going to design their paths - ex: compare Epcot Future World to Animal Kingdom. Epcot has very wide paths while Animal Kingdom has very narrow paths. I don't know how many individual pieces of pathway each park has so I have no way of defining how much each costs.

I'm not sure what you mean by entrance buildings. If you mean Monorail Station/Bus Station, those values are equal for everyone and should be included in the initial outline.

MCParradox

If you look at the first amendment post, page 2 of the thread, towards the bottom I had "Land Renovation" and Electric/Power/Sewage.

I wrote those two with the thought that since everyone's park should be relatively the same size, therefore all of the costs that you are describing would be equal among everyone and fall into those categories. Perhaps I should rename those two concepts so this type of questioning.

It's a bit too complicated in Phase 1 to account for the very small individual components (ie ticket booth, path, etc) I lumped all of that in with Land Renovation and any backstage service areas in with backstage stuff that I titled Electric/Power/Sewage which I will rename to include Backstage service areas.

Basically what that means is aside from Lake construction (which can be quantifiable), it's too challenging to consider the price for each path piece, especially since each park is going to be so unique from the next. I don't know how everyone is going to design their paths - ex: compare Epcot Future World to Animal Kingdom. Epcot has very wide paths while Animal Kingdom has very narrow paths. I don't know how many individual pieces of pathway each park has so I have no way of defining how much each costs.

I'm not sure what you mean by entrance buildings. If you mean Monorail Station/Bus Station, those values are equal for everyone and should be included in the initial outline.

Ah OK, I get it now... And by entrance buildings I was referring to ticket booths and turnstiles, so that's all covered. :)

Sorry I keep asking but... Bridges? :p My park is set to have quite a few, so I don't think they can really be lumped in with land renovation...

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Ah OK, I get it now... And by entrance buildings I was referring to ticket booths and turnstiles, so that's all covered. :)

Sorry I keep asking but... Bridges? :p My park is set to have quite a few, so I don't think they can really be lumped in with land renovation...
Unless you're building something akin to the Golden Gate Bridge, any bridge construction is considered path construction for the purpose of this competition. It will be considered a path.

MCParradox

Unless you're building something akin to the Golden Gate Bridge, any bridge construction is considered path construction for the purpose of this competition. It will be considered a path.

Ironically I am building the Golden Gate Bridge... XD Albeit quite a bit smaller... But OK, thanks for clearing that up :) Sorry again for bombarding you with questions, that should be the last of them :p

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Ironically I am building the Golden Gate Bridge... XD Albeit quite a bit smaller... But OK, thanks for clearing that up :) Sorry again for bombarding you with questions, that should be the last of them :p
No problem. Don't hesitate to ask.

If I'm starting something like this competition, where there is more emphasis on detail/budget, I would be a fool to expect that there would be no questions. ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Hello again!

For anyone interested in the competition I have come to thank you for your interest and to tell you to keep your imagineering thoughts around. Because come May, this competition will be merged with another competition run by @IDInstitute

It's currently shaping up to be a very interesting and unique competition, so stay tuned and hope to see you all in May!:)

MCParradox

Hello again!

For anyone interested in the competition I have come to thank you for your interest and to tell you to keep your imagineering thoughts around. Because come May, this competition will be merged with another competition run by @IDInstitute

It's currently shaping up to be a very interesting and unique competition, so stay tuned and hope to see you all in May!:)

Oh wow, long time to wait! To be honest that's probably a good thing, it gives me time to get ready for my exams and stuff...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom