Re-imagineer the Magic Kingdom

morningstar

Original Poster
Disneyland / the Magic Kingdom is a great concept, but I feel like parts of it are a bit dated. The idea was to partition the park into several lands based on the popular entertainment genres of the time, but the genres that are popular have changed. If you build the Magic Kingdom today, for example, you wouldn't think to include a western-themed land. No one really would tear out classic rides like Big Thunder Mountain, because the ride is good enough to stand on its own, even if you wouldn't line up to watch a movie about old-timer prospectors.

But what if there was no Magic Kingdom, and in 2014 you came up with the original idea to build a park with themed lands? What would your lands be? Here are my ideas.

The park is laid out in sort of a horseshoe shape around a central bay. You arrive by ground transportation at either end of the horseshoe or by boat at the center. The immediate shore of the bay is:

Ocean Boulevard: Recreates a typical beachfront town. On one side, a sandy beach. On the other side, souvenir shops, candy and ice cream, restaurants, and even a seaside inn inside the park. Side streets lead to each of the lands. Directly back from the center:

The Royal Realm: All things princesses and castles. Not just one castle, but many, atop the bluffs on either side of a Rhine-style river criss-crossed by ornate stone bridges. Counterclockwise from here a path leads to:

The Enchanted Forest: Here we encounter magic and fairies, and adventures where knights battle mythical beasts. Continuing counterclockwise:

Critter Country: The land where animals are your friends. With all the Disney movies with either animal main characters or sidekicks, there are a wealth of characters to populate this land.

Clockwise from the Royal Realm:

Metropolis: A typical major American city - except a few of the citizens have superpowers and use them either for good or evil. The Incredibles and Marvel can play here, and/or we can base attractions on original comic-book-style stories. Transitioning further clockwise through a particularly modern section of town:

The Nexus: A world of sci-fi, emphasis on the "fi". This is not your father's Tomorrowland. By avoiding realistic predictions of the future, it avoids becoming stale or retro when the future is now or becomes the future that never was. This is the world of aliens, time travel, and cyborgs. Star Wars fits here better than any existing Disney theme park.

morningstar

Original Poster
I was never really happy with my hub land and so I thought up a better one.

Centennial Park: Guests enter the turnstiles to one side of a square-shaped grassy park. The park is set with outdoor tables where people can take their food from adjacent quick-service restaurants. Streets radiate from the other three sides of the park.

To the left, Oak Street. It is lined with oaks and houses set in large yards. On one side, Andy's house from Toy Story. On the other, the Banks' house from Mary Poppins. A replica of Walt Disney's boyhood home. The end of the street turns into a dirt trail that enters Critter Country.

Opposite the entrance, the mansions along King Street contrast with the middle-class dwellings of Oak Street. Their yards increase to estates and finally a small meadow that separates the land from the Royal Realm.

To the right, Central Avenue. Shops increase in density as you approach Metropolis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom