News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Casper Gutman

I didn't say that I was disappointed that it didn't go fast. I actually stated that I liked SSE. I simply said that seeing the amazing structure, boarding the ride...and ascending the dark tunnel led me to believe that it was going to be a fast, fun, thrill ride..and I was disappointed when I got to the top and realized it wasn't. The attraction itself didn't disappoint me, the build-up in my own head disappointed me because I was expecting something fast and thrilling...and got slow and learning. Some of my earliest memories are the smell of "The Dark Ages" and Michaelangelo painting.

A 45-minute slow-moving attraction isn't going to cut it in today's world. You can say it will until you're blue in the face but there's a reason why it hasn't been duplicated. Did it work in 1982? Sure. Will it work today? Doubt it. Even back then, when my family would visit, if there was an attraction to skip, it was UoE due to its length.

Do Disney parks need to be thrill driven? I never said that. I said that you need some thrills. When you hear of people coming back from WDW and talking about their trip, do they talk about how great The Jungle Cruise is or how awesome Tower of Terror is? A mix of everything is needed in this day and age. It's called "balance." You just said it, Space Mountain. It never became a popular attraction because you saw a starfield and were in the dark...it became popular because it was a fun thrilling attraction.

Again, read my post and what my favorite attraction in EPCOT was...Imagination. Figment and Dreamfinder are awesome, but, like I said, they are characters used to convey the message. How is it any different than having current characters that are already well-known do it? By what you're saying, they could've had an updated Horizons with a character specifically designed for Horizons and cross-promoted it on TV, Film, Books, etc...but doing so with a pre-existing character and cross-promoting that character back with the attraction is a "crutch." I'm saying, if a pre-existing character fits the idea of the attraction, use it...if you're just shoehorning a character in to have "the name," then it's wrong.

Rat fits the theme of the pavilion. It utilizes an existing IP to fit seamlessly into an existing pavilion. It's not replacing something from "old EPCOT Center" and will be a fun addition to the park. If you don't like it, Impressions de France will have plenty of seats available for you while you wait for your party to get off. The charm of France will still be there for you...and an additional attraction will be available as well.

Rat isn't a replacement...it's an add.
To be honest, I prefered the Jeremy Irons version of SSE over the Walter Kronkite version (don't remember the original before WK). The Living Seas (as an area) was better as SeaBase Alpha but the current version with Nemo and Turtle Talk is better now (IMO...but I could see how others would disagree). The Land is better with Sunshine Seasons and Soarin' replacing Kitchen Kabaret (although I did love that show...but not Food Rocks). Imagination's, Honey I Shrunk the Audience was better than Captain EO (Again, IMO) but the rest of the pavilion stinks now. On the other side, UoE is still unknown, WoL is vacant :(, Horizons' replacement was a big downgrade, but I think Test Track was a major step up and required replacement.

It's clear we disagree in our thoughts but that's what makes this world so interesting :)

You keep saying "today's generation" needs short rides. Based on what? As I said, the short attention span nonsense is spouted about every generation. What cultural shifts occurred between 1982 and today that have destroyed attention spans?

As to needing "some thrills," particularly at the expense of more elaborate, classic rides - for twenty years Disneyland had one coaster. It still doesn't have a looping coaster. What cultural change took place that Disney parks NEED conventional, physical thrills? The Magic Kingdom is the most popular park in the world and its most thrilling ride is a (poorly maintained) wooden coaster from the 70s. Or... is the whole "thrills" thing just convenient malarky being pushed by execs?

I am fully in favor of adding Rat. I only used that because it's an example of the "new tech" with which they're upgrading EPCOT - and MGM, and so on.

And I am fine with some IPs, but it HAS become a crutch and Disney's understanding of synergy across media is hopelessly narrow.

I strongly disagree with Soarin' being better than Kitchen Kabaret, especially the new one. And man... TT much better than WoM? I mean, I love vacant parking garages as much as the next guy, but I can drive 60mph on my own.

What's weird is that you loved a lot of the classic rides, but are somehow convinced people today wouldn't love them. You're buying the crud that WDW execs are shovelling. The "kids need thrills" - "kids need short rides" - "kids are used to screens" - is all garbage that the PR department is using to cover their cost cutting, margin increasing motives. It has NO basis in reality.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Screen-Shot-2017-07-17-at-7.43.40-AM.png
So, I am guessing that this ride will also be trackless like Disneyland Paris' version?
That would be awesome, WDW needs a trackless ride, it seems like the global Disneyland's get a bit of trackless rides, (Hong Kong's Mystic Manor, Tokyo's Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Paris' Ratatouille obviously:hilarious:) It would be nice to share the trackless love with WDW. :p (apologies if this has already been discussed.)
I think its been confirmed that yes it will be trackless. More or Less an exact clone from DLP.

WDWFREAK53

You keep saying "today's generation" needs short rides. Based on what? As I said, the short attention span nonsense is spouted about every generation. What cultural shifts occurred between 1982 and today that have destroyed attention spans?

As to needing "some thrills," particularly at the expense of more elaborate, classic rides - for twenty years Disneyland had one coaster. It still doesn't have a looping coaster. What cultural change took place that Disney parks NEED conventional, physical thrills? The Magic Kingdom is the most popular park in the world and its most thrilling ride is a (poorly maintained) wooden coaster from the 70s. Or... is the whole "thrills" thing just convenient malarky being pushed by execs?

I am fully in favor of adding Rat. I only used that because it's an example of the "new tech" with which they're upgrading EPCOT - and MGM, and so on.

And I am fine with some IPs, but it HAS become a crutch and Disney's understanding of synergy across media is hopelessly narrow.

I strongly disagree with Soarin' being better than Kitchen Kabaret, especially the new one. And man... TT much better than WoM? I mean, I love vacant parking garages as much as the next guy, but I can drive 60mph on my own.

What's weird is that you loved a lot of the classic rides, but are somehow convinced people today wouldn't love them. You're buying the crud that WDW execs are shovelling. The "kids need thrills" - "kids need short rides" - "kids are used to screens" - is all garbage that the PR department is using to cover their cost cutting, margin increasing motives. It has NO basis in reality.

You put those in quotes and I never said those things...but ok. What I said about "shorter rides" was specifically about Universe of Energy clocking in around the 45 minute mark.

What cultural shift has occurred since 1982? Maybe the fact that we all (including kids) have cellphones in our pockets and tablets in our heads and need information "NOW" rather than when we get to the library. How about things like Candy Crush and Angry Birds? You do realize that these games (played by millions of people) stimulate the brain in short spurts when they release endorphins. When you beat a level, you get a quick shot of endorphins... Over time, this isn't good because your brain can't get use to going long times without stimulation. These types of things are all around us and contribute to the increase in cases of ADHD. Even if you're not diagnosed with ADHD, the effects of all of this stimulation everywhere is affecting you (whether it's to the fullest degree or less).

I'm a DTA, and when I hear stories about a client's trip, it's usually the thrill rides they rave about. Why? For those that aren't "thrill-seekers," they get that feeling like they did something they normally wouldn't do. For the thrillseekers, they get their appetite satisfied. For kids, it's a sense of accomplishment that they weren't afraid. Having a park full of omnimovers and slow boat rides becomes very stale feeling. There is a place for them, but it would start to feel like the same ride with a different coat of paint after a while.

I did love a lot of the classic rides (Ok, so for Epcot, it was basically just Imagination and Horizons that I loved...the others, meh.)
World of Motion, which was similar to Horizons due to it basically having the same ride system, didn't do anything for me because it didn't feel unique. Horizons had the scents and the "pick your location" at the end which stood out...and in a sense, the "pick your own ending" felt "thrilling."

Test Track a vacant parking garage? You design your car...see how it stacks up against the "perfect car" in the digital world...and then have it come to reality as it bursts out of the building. That sounds like the idea of EPCOT....maybe even moreso than learning about the history of transportation. Again, these are all opinions but I'd bet Test Track would test better today than World of Motion would with guests. (Same with Soarin' vs. Kitchen Kabaret).

Casper Gutman

You put those in quotes and I never said those things...but ok. What I said about "shorter rides" was specifically about Universe of Energy clocking in around the 45 minute mark.

What cultural shift has occurred since 1982? Maybe the fact that we all (including kids) have cellphones in our pockets and tablets in our heads and need information "NOW" rather than when we get to the library. How about things like Candy Crush and Angry Birds? You do realize that these games (played by millions of people) stimulate the brain in short spurts when they release endorphins. When you beat a level, you get a quick shot of endorphins... Over time, this isn't good because your brain can't get use to going long times without stimulation. These types of things are all around us and contribute to the increase in cases of ADHD. Even if you're not diagnosed with ADHD, the effects of all of this stimulation everywhere is affecting you (whether it's to the fullest degree or less).

I'm a DTA, and when I hear stories about a client's trip, it's usually the thrill rides they rave about. Why? For those that aren't "thrill-seekers," they get that feeling like they did something they normally wouldn't do. For the thrillseekers, they get their appetite satisfied. For kids, it's a sense of accomplishment that they weren't afraid. Having a park full of omnimovers and slow boat rides becomes very stale feeling. There is a place for them, but it would start to feel like the same ride with a different coat of paint after a while.

I did love a lot of the classic rides (Ok, so for Epcot, it was basically just Imagination and Horizons that I loved...the others, meh.)
World of Motion, which was similar to Horizons due to it basically having the same ride system, didn't do anything for me because it didn't feel unique. Horizons had the scents and the "pick your location" at the end which stood out...and in a sense, the "pick your own ending" felt "thrilling."

Test Track a vacant parking garage? You design your car...see how it stacks up against the "perfect car" in the digital world...and then have it come to reality as it bursts out of the building. That sounds like the idea of EPCOT....maybe even moreso than learning about the history of transportation. Again, these are all opinions but I'd bet Test Track would test better today than World of Motion would with guests. (Same with Soarin' vs. Kitchen Kabaret).

I was paraphrasing, so I shouldn't have used quotation marks. I apologize.

What you are saying about Angry Birds and Candy Crush lowering attention spans is EXACTLY what was said about MTV. And TV. And the movies. And novels. Its repeated for every generation, and the blame is placed on whatever the newest form of media was. And I would strongly suspect the increase in ADHD is more closely linked to other cultural changes.

What made WoM unique was the wit, which is also what defines HM and PoC. Horizons didn't have that.

And yeah, Test Track is a ride through a parking garage. You can stick all the bells and whistles on it you like (and I've always found the "design-a-car" thing to be arbitrary and lacking in interest) but most of the actual ride experience is rolling around in a big, empty warehouse space. Compare it to Radiator Springs Racers to see how the same ride system could be used for a generally great ride.

WDWFREAK53

I was paraphrasing, so I shouldn't have used quotation marks. I apologize.

What you are saying about Angry Birds and Candy Crush lowering attention spans is EXACTLY what was said about MTV. And TV. And the movies. And novels. Its repeated for every generation, and the blame is placed on whatever the newest form of media was. And I would strongly suspect the increase in ADHD is more closely linked to other cultural changes.

What made WoM unique was the wit, which is also what defines HM and PoC. Horizons didn't have that.

And yeah, Test Track is a ride through a parking garage. You can stick all the bells and whistles on it you like (and I've always found the "design-a-car" thing to be arbitrary and lacking in interest) but most of the actual ride experience is rolling around in a big, empty warehouse space. Compare it to Radiator Springs Racers to see how the same ride system could be used for a generally great ride.

Ok, so you admit that there's been a cultural change since 1982 in people? With the times...things need to change.

As far as Test Track vs. Radiator Springs Racers...
You mean a ride utilizing an existing IP vs. one that doesn't?

Casper Gutman

Ok, so you admit that there's been a cultural change since 1982 in people? With the times...things need to change.

As far as Test Track vs. Radiator Springs Racers...
You mean a ride utilizing an existing IP vs. one that doesn't?

No, I didn't admit that cultural changes have shortened attention spans at all. What I said was that that was a MYTH that is repeated every single generation about every single new form of media. Here's a counter-example - look at what has happened to the length of the highest grossing movies over the last several decades - they've increased since the 80s. Guess the sweeping cultural change missed the dominant form of pop culture in the world. And then there's the rise of binge watching, people watching multi-hour blocks of TV shows that require more attention to detail then ever before. People will pay attention as long as the quality of entertainment is good, and a good ride that found an audience in '82 will still find an audience today. The "people have changed so we need shorter rides" is nonsense spouted by WDW execs to cover their actual motives. It is a lie. A fib. It is historically inaccurate.

And as I have said, I have no problem with IPs as such. I have a problem with how they are applied. SWL, Cars Land, even Pandora (though I have other issues with that area) are applications of IPs that fit their setting. I have a problem with forcing them in where they don't belong (GotG, a franchise I love, Frozen). I have a problem when they replace imagination and are mandated as the ONLY type of attraction allowed in the park.

WDWFREAK53

No, I didn't admit that cultural changes have shortened attention spans at all. What I said was that that was a MYTH that is repeated every single generation about every single new form of media. Here's a counter-example - look at what has happened to the length of the highest grossing movies over the last several decades - they've increased since the 80s. Guess the sweeping cultural change missed the dominant form of pop culture in the world. And then there's the rise of binge watching, people watching multi-hour blocks of TV shows that require more attention to detail then ever before. People will pay attention as long as the quality of entertainment is good, and a good ride that found an audience in '82 will still find an audience today. The "people have changed so we need shorter rides" is nonsense spouted by WDW execs to cover their actual motives. It is a lie. A fib. It is historically inaccurate.

And as I have said, I have no problem with IPs as such. I have a problem with how they are applied. SWL, Cars Land, even Pandora (though I have other issues with that area) are applications of IPs that fit their setting. I have a problem with forcing them in where they don't belong (GotG, a franchise I love, Frozen). I have a problem when they replace imagination and are mandated as the ONLY type of attraction allowed in the park.

(I tried to bring this to private message as to not derail any further but it wouldn't let me so this is the last time I'll post on the subject, if you'd like to continue (which I would), please send me a PM :)

As far as WDW execs brainwashing us into thinking we need shorter rides...are we that dumb to know what we like and what we don't? If WDW can do this, they are a lot more powerful than we give them credit for. If that's the case, wouldn't Stitch's Great Escape be loved? Wouldn't the lines for Carousel of Progress be longer than the lines for Space Mountain next door? Rides are popular because they are enjoyed...enjoyment comes in different forms. Thrill rides are a form of enjoyment. I like the Tomorrowland Transit Authority as much as Space Mountain...but they are completely different. If I want a relaxing ride, I'm not hopping on Space Mountain. I don't understand why thrill rides are so negative in your eyes.

My favorite ride is The Amazing Spider-Man at Islands of Adventure. Many rides have opened since then but that one still holds my top spot. Why? It is an exciting ride (not a simple coaster), it tricks your mind with the "falling from the skyscraper", it integrates screen tech with actual sets, and the ride vehicles interact with the screens and sets. To top it off, it's a thrill ride. Now, in your scenario, you'd have a slow-moving omni-mover through the set pieces seeing animatronics that play out the scenes. Sure, you could do that, but isn't that more like watching a movie than being IN the movie? That's how I liken the older dark rides. You're not a part of the movie, you're just moving through movie sets.

DisneyDodo

EEA was not a 45-minute ride - it was a 7-minute ride surrounded by 4 boring videos. The videos were honestly less exciting than the average ride queue! Add it all up and you're essentially left with a 45-ish minute wait (videos + actual queue) for what was not a bad ride, per se, but was definitely not among the better dark rides at WDW. This is exactly why people chose to skip this attraction and why it needed to be replaced and why GotG doesn't have to compensate for 45 minutes of fun to be considered a major upgrade.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
EEA was not a 45-minute ride - it was a 7-minute ride surrounded by 4 boring videos. The videos were honestly less exciting than the average ride queue! Add it all up and you're essentially left with a 45-ish minute wait (videos + actual queue) for what was not a bad ride, per se, but was definitely not among the better dark rides at WDW. This is exactly why people chose to skip this attraction and why it needed to be replaced and why GotG doesn't have to compensate for 45 minutes of fun to be considered a major upgrade.
Wrong thread?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom