Rare Concept Art Found for Disneyland Atlantis Expedition

Phroobar

That would have been incredible. Wasn't the sub just transportation into the complex? There was suppose to be another ride inside it.

Phroobar

20080515+Poster.jpg

Phroobar

Tell me more about this poster! :)
The poster was drawn by Josh Shipley and was suppose to be on the construction walls. Park management didn't like the idea and never put it up.

At the time, park management wanted to close the subs in order to send funding to Innoventions. They had no plans to put a new ride in. They just wanted to mothball the thing to save money. Unknown to park management, WDI came in and setup camp with the Atlantis Expedition sign. Park management saw the sign later that day and forced them to remove it. Later that day a flag with a trident on a blue background showed up. WDI left a few weeks later.

There is also the story about how Marty Sklar threaten to lay across Harbor Blvd if the subs were to be shut down without a replacement. He should have done it.

Last edited:

Practical Pig

Practical Pig

That would have been incredible. Wasn't the sub just transportation into the complex? There was suppose to be another ride inside it.

That sounds great, but if that was the only way in, unless the subs were somehow re-jiggered for a much higher hourly capacity, there would have been a huge bottleneck to get there.

EPCOTCenterLover

Original Poster
I think the "two ride vehicles in one attraction" idea is cool. I have heard we will see this in the Star Wars Battle Escape attraction. Tony Baxter referenced a day where we might see lengthy attractions lasting an hour or longer one day. Wouldn't that be something!?!

Phroobar

Figments Friend

Glad to see this article surface, as this is something I have talked about just about every time the topic of the Subs comes up in a thread.
I would have loved to have seen this happen!

Tony's 'Atlantis' overlay for the Subs would have been spectacular, and a far more exciting experience for Guests.
Not to mention, a far better 'thematic fit' for Tomorrowland.
How this was passed over in favor of silly CGI cartoon fish from Pixar is infuriating to me.
I know the 'whys' behind that decision being made, but that just adds to the infuriating factor.

I love Disneyland's Subs, but absolutely despise 'Finding Nemo' in general.
I take the overlay as the only thing that managed to save the Subs from removal, so I am grateful for that aspect.
I like my Nemo straight up however...and old school.....as in Captain Nemo from '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea'.
;)

Man I miss WDW's '20k' Subs.
So sad those were shuttered under dubious reasoning.
Grrr...
:mad:

-

Phroobar

That sounds great, but if that was the only way in, unless the subs were somehow re-jiggered for a much higher hourly capacity, there would have been a huge bottleneck to get there.
If I remember Jim Hill talked about this once. He said there was a way to skip the subs and go directly into and out of the new complex. He also said the subs were suppose to be attacked by that mechanical crab that would shake the sub.

Practical Pig

If I remember Jim Hill talked about this once. He said there was a way to skip the subs and go directly into and out of the new complex. He also said the subs were suppose to be attacked by that mechanical crab that would shake the sub.

Yeah I think there would have to have been multiple means of access. That attack of the giant crab traded out for watching a couple of minutes of underwater TV merch ads ... :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom