Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

Prince-1

Man, gotta love the Holier-than-thou attitudes I'm reading in here. I've been following this thread and I wasn't going to throw my two-cents in but I just can't help myself.

First key me say that, Hi I'm a soda re-filler and proud of it. If a restaurant (fast or otherwise) puts the machine out where I have to do it myself you get bet your a$$ I'm getting seconds (and thirds)!! Please, if they didn't want you to have refills they would give you free access to the damn machine in the first place. And if they sold water cooler (really!?! great point there!) sized cups I'd be filling that bad boy up. You betcha!!

Oh and the person who said "sharing=stealing", Really?? Really?? (Please read that in your best Seth Meyers and Amy Pohler voices). Ya can't be serious!! Ya can't!!!!!

When we go to WDW we always buy a new cup, always!! but no way on earth am I buying 4 cups for all of us. Me and the wife share one thank you very much. And if the moral police wants to go ahead and say I'm stealing then feel free to do so. This law breaker is a-ok with that.

Please.......!!!! Let me buy you all a ladder for them high horses of yours and go ride off to the sunset.

Goofyernmost

Man, gotta love the Holier-than-thou attitudes I'm reading in here. I've been following this thread and I wasn't going to throw my two-cents in but I just can't help myself.

First key me say that, Hi I'm a soda re-filler and proud of it. If a restaurant (fast or otherwise) puts the machine out where I have to do it myself you get bet your a$$ I'm getting seconds (and thirds)!! Please, if they didn't want you to have refills they would give you free access to the damn machine in the first place. And if they sold water cooler (really!?! great point there!) sized cups I'd be filling that bad boy up. You betcha!!

Oh and the person who said "sharing=stealing", Really?? Really?? (Please read that in your best Seth Meyers and Amy Pohler voices). Ya can't be serious!! Ya can't!!!!!

When we go to WDW we always buy a new cup, always!! but no way on earth am I buying 4 cups for all of us. Me and the wife share one thank you very much. And if the moral police wants to go ahead and say I'm stealing then feel free to do so. This law breaker is a-ok with that.

Please.......!!!! Let me buy you all a ladder for them high horses of yours and go ride off to the sunset.
Kinda sad how the world has gotten to the point when having morals means riding a high horse. I'm glad I'm old and will not have to live that far into the future. It doesn't look good and honesty will be a rarity.:(

Take all you want. It will achieve higher prices for everyone and perhaps a return to NOT having the free access to the "damn" machines. But enjoy your somewhat hard to understand logic. Just wondering, if I forget to lock my door, is it ok to just come in and take whatever you want? I mean it's easy access isn't it?

boufa

Morals are not an absolute, and I pray that none of you feel that you are innocent, in honor of good friday (and I am not religious) we are all sinners... and its true. We all have a different threshold for what is appropriate or not. Is there a significant difference in buying a single meal at a QS restaurant and sharing it vs sharing the soda. I think there is, but I am also not sure it would bother me in any way. Disney has yet (so far as I know) found a way to separate kids QS credits from adults, allowing for quite a bit of violations. I don't cheat on them on purpose, but I guarantee that I have not kept close enough track to ensure that I haven't used a credit intended to be a child's credit as an adult meal...heck if they can put RFID chips into disposable cups, I imagine they could do a better job of tracking kids QS credits from adult....

Then there is non-disney. Do you ever speed... even by 1 mph? That is a crime. Ever do a rolling stop, or a bit of a rolling right turn on red... also a crime. Ever take snacks into a movie theatre... not a crime, but still against the rules. For those of us old enough to remember... ever record a song off the radio? Its a crime. Rip a DVD or a CD to a computer/tablet... its a crime, even if you own the original (technically it is a violation of the civil contract for use that you agree to when you buy it, not a actual theft). Ever borrow someone elses copy of a movie to watch it... maybe not a crime, but you are "Stealing" a sale from them. Ever decide... instead of a DJ I'll just use my MP3 player at a party or reception, thats a crime too (your music you buy is licensed for personal use, and DJ has to pay a fee to use it... to that point are you sure that your DJ DID actually pay the fee or did he just download everything off the internet? You would be liable as well, or at least morally questionable.)

My point... there are trivial offenses that occur everyday by the thousands, and what I might not even think about, could be a huge moral dilemma for someone else. The reverse is also true, what bothers you might not be that big of a deal to someone else. It doesn't make any of us murderers, or hardened criminals, or even significantly impact the prices. Some of that will occur in every system and that is built into the pricing, and always will be.

As for the dumb management, I would love to sit back and rate you on your jobs. We run theme parks and resorts from behind our computers and think we all know best. Does every product, or every idea work out for the best... staying on the soda theme...New Coke, Crystal Pepsi (which I really liked!), 7UP Gold, Pepsi Next, were all developed at great expense and were complete failures. (as an aside, the vast majority of the people who have actually used MM+ have liked it... the majority of the complaints have been minor, and are no worse than having to run to get fast passes at rope drop, that leave you with a random time that forces you to walk back and forth across park 30 times a day but I digress... haters gonna hate).

note2001

Ironic how we're beating this issue to death on the web, when (imho) most Disney abuse problems, this one included, were perpetuated on the web. Forums are fantastic for picking up tips and how-tos both good and bad. It seems however that the bad makes it's rounds faster than the good.

Figmentation

Ironic how we're beating this issue to death on the web, when (imho) most Disney abuse problems, this one included, were perpetuated on the web. Forums are fantastic for picking up tips and how-tos both good and bad. It seems however that the bad makes it's rounds faster than the good.

88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.gif

flynnibus

Premium Member
Bringing in a water cooler? Sorry, it's not their container.

So let me use the defender's logic here...

There is no sign saying I can't use my container.. so if you didn't want me to use it, you should not have put the machine self-serve or put up a sign saying I can't! The stores around me all commonly let me use my own container.. so its ASSUMED I can!

Goofyernmost

Morals are not an absolute, and I pray that none of you feel that you are innocent, in honor of good friday (and I am not religious) we are all sinners... and its true. We all have a different threshold for what is appropriate or not. Is there a significant difference in buying a single meal at a QS restaurant and sharing it vs sharing the soda. I think there is, but I am also not sure it would bother me in any way. Disney has yet (so far as I know) found a way to separate kids QS credits from adults, allowing for quite a bit of violations. I don't cheat on them on purpose, but I guarantee that I have not kept close enough track to ensure that I haven't used a credit intended to be a child's credit as an adult meal...heck if they can put RFID chips into disposable cups, I imagine they could do a better job of tracking kids QS credits from adult....

Then there is non-disney. Do you ever speed... even by 1 mph? That is a crime. Ever do a rolling stop, or a bit of a rolling right turn on red... also a crime. Ever take snacks into a movie theatre... not a crime, but still against the rules. For those of us old enough to remember... ever record a song off the radio? Its a crime. Rip a DVD or a CD to a computer/tablet... its a crime, even if you own the original (technically it is a violation of the civil contract for use that you agree to when you buy it, not a actual theft). Ever borrow someone elses copy of a movie to watch it... maybe not a crime, but you are "Stealing" a sale from them. Ever decide... instead of a DJ I'll just use my MP3 player at a party or reception, thats a crime too (your music you buy is licensed for personal use, and DJ has to pay a fee to use it... to that point are you sure that your DJ DID actually pay the fee or did he just download everything off the internet? You would be liable as well, or at least morally questionable.)

My point... there are trivial offenses that occur everyday by the thousands, and what I might not even think about, could be a huge moral dilemma for someone else. The reverse is also true, what bothers you might not be that big of a deal to someone else. It doesn't make any of us murderers, or hardened criminals, or even significantly impact the prices. Some of that will occur in every system and that is built into the pricing, and always will be.
Your point is well taken, however, I have done many things that were wrong, but, I have never tried to justify my actions and say that they weren't wrong. That is a slippery slope. Something small today that is tolerated and gotten away with, then justified as a "everyone else is doing it" or "it doesn't cost them that much" or "it's their fault because they gave me easy access", quite often leads to a bigger step. Especially when it seems easy to justify.

All of our actions in life start out small and eventually escalated to something bigger, be they good or bad. I don't really care if someone takes more then they should at a soda fountain, I don't have to live within them. But, I also have a problem with people that do that and then just feel that it's not wrong. It is wrong, and no amount of argument will change that.

However, if someone can come on and say that it is OK to take what they didn't pay for then I have the right to say that that phrase alone tells the whole story. It is something that someone else paid for, it's not theirs to use to whatever degree they want. Call it anything you want, it's still stealing from someone. Basic logic!

To me morals are absolute. What isn't absolute is how people feel about them. In the end, what's right is right and what's wrong, is now and forever will be, wrong.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know where you get your ideas, but as someone who knows owners of convenience stores, the LAST thing that they want is quick "in and out" customers

Well do you 'know owners' of 7-11s from the 70s? Because they are the ones I am speaking about - not the motivation and market trends 40+ years later.

sporadic

There is no sign saying I can't use my container.. so if you didn't want me to use it, you should not have put the machine self-serve or put up a sign saying I can't! The stores around me all commonly let me use my own container.. so its ASSUMED I can!

You seemed to be confused with common sense and the society norm of a local populous. If toting a water cooler in for refills is the norm in your area, then I'd say why not? This is pretty simple stuff.

While we're on the subject of morals, who all is reading this while at work today? :)

flynnibus

Premium Member

But if a vendor were skimming off you and cheating you.. I'd bet you'd be the first to cry bloody murder.

It's funny how standards only apply one-way in society today...

sporadic

While we're on the subject of assuming.. you could ask @wdwmagic and he would confirm this post is coming from a residential network. So sorry to break it to you.. the assumption machine is wrong again.

Your assumption of assuming that was targeted at you is invalid, hence the paragraph of separation for a single sentence... Yes, I agree the assumption machine is wrong again.

Prince-1

Kinda sad how the world has gotten to the point when having morals means riding a high horse. I'm glad I'm old and will not have to live that far into the future. It doesn't look good and honesty will be a rarity.:(

Take all you want. It will achieve higher prices for everyone and perhaps a return to NOT having the free access to the "damn" machines. But enjoy your somewhat hard to understand logic. Just wondering, if I forget to lock my door, is it ok to just come in and take whatever you want? I mean it's easy access isn't it?

And that's the typical response u get from this board. Going straight to the extreme. "If you get a refill of soda, (even if the places allow it, since you know, they put the soda machine on the OUTSIDE), then you probably will just walk into someone's house and steal from me. Its the same thing right???!!!" Great logic. I'm one step away from murder or worse....talking positive abut Universal. :jawdrop:

If you look at what I said, I always buy a cup, never bring my own cup to refill which I agree is stealing soda. But not sure how buying a soda and refilling it when they allow you to do so is wrong. Here is a little bit of logic, they allow you to refill your soda by placing it on the OUTSIDE where you get it yourself. If they didn't want you to get a refill for THAT visit then they wouldn't put it on the OUTSIDE. See, not stealing.

Now I would agree that if you come back on Wednesday with the cup you bought on Monday and used it to get soda then that is wrong. See, morals!!!! Yay, we all have them.

Last edited:

Prince-1

Well there are no signs that say you can't bring a slip-n-slide to McDonalds, fill it up with Diet Coke and have a party!! Great logic ya have there.

Again, if they put the soda machine on the outside then refills are free. Now that doesn't mean you can come in everyday and refill it with the cup you bought 2 weeks ago but lets not use logic to make a rational argument. That would be bad for the conversation.

And I knew that when I wrote my opinion last night I'd get some of the masses upset but seriously, go to any place that has set up the soda machine on the OUTSIDE and ask the manager if you are allowed refills for THAT visit and they will say yes. No doubt in my mind at all. Zero. I'm not saying to come back a few hours later or the next day but the time you stay in that store eating your processed chicken shapes you can have refills.
Plain and simple. Not. Stealing!!!

Time to go dust off my slip-n-slide!!

Last edited:

bubbles1812

Well do you 'know owners' of 7-11s from the 70s? Because they are the ones I am speaking about - not the motivation and market trends 40+ years later.
Why are you talking about the 70s? It isn't the 70s anymore. It doesn't really apply then to the current discussion. And your original post regarding the subject definitely seemed to indicate that this now as you reveal "7os logic" still applies today. As you admit, motivations and market trends have changed in 40 years. Flynn, I know you like to be right, an heck I even agree with you a decent amount of the time, but it's ok to not always know everything.

NormC

If you have a party of four you would need to buy four cups. Not doing so is stealing but you already knew that. You just posted that to get a response. Here it is. Cheers. My family of four gets four cups every trip and we refill them as often as possible while we are there to get the most out of our investment. I have a box of WDW cups and Splitsville ones as well.

Cubfan300

Cause we live in the 70's...yeah, that's the ticket (not quite 70's, but an old SNL reference, nevertheless). Just not worth it to argue with you dude. Do you know the saying, "If you're the smartest guy in the room, you're in the wrong room?" Think about that for a while.

CDavid

Morals are not an absolute, and I pray that none of you feel that you are innocent, in honor of good friday (and I am not religious) we are all sinners... and its true. We all have a different threshold for what is appropriate or not

If there is not an specific standard for morality, then you can rationalize anything you want as perfectly acceptable behavior (and people try). We can't all have a different threshold; It cannot be permissible for me to take soda without paying but considered theft if you do the same thing. Morals are indeed an absolute, established from God, whether you personally consider yourself religious or not or whether you even agree with specific examples.

While you are correct that much of this constitutes trivial offences, we immediately have the problem of who gets to decide (and on what basis) what is trivial and which offences are more serious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom