Random, poisonous snake post for the South.

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
In the Gator attack thread, someone had posted, about snakes. So many people think that Copperheads or Rattlesnakes are not a problem, we have to travel 8 hours to get to WDW, and I promise you, both are an issue, especially in early spring (babies, and mommas) Late summer, huge fat, horrid things. This giy lost half his neck and his head to a tractor blade. They look nothing like a Garter Snake. Once you see one, you can not forget it. image.jpeg

Goofyernmost

In the Gator attack thread, someone had posted, about snakes. So many people think that Copperheads or Rattlesnakes are not a problem, we have to travel 8 hours to get to WDW, and I promise you, both are an issue, especially in early spring (babies, and mommas) Late summer, huge fat, horrid things. This giy lost half his neck and his head to a tractor blade. They look nothing like a Garter Snake. Once you see one, you can not forget it. View attachment 158037
They aren't a problem unless you happen to accidentally step on one or corner one. Then you will have issues. I have lived for 68 years, traveled all over the world and have never seen either, with or without a head.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
In the Gator attack thread, someone had posted, about snakes. So many people think that Copperheads or Rattlesnakes are not a problem, we have to travel 8 hours to get to WDW, and I promise you, both are an issue, especially in early spring (babies, and mommas) Late summer, huge fat, horrid things. This giy lost half his neck and his head to a tractor blade. They look nothing like a Garter Snake. Once you see one, you can not forget it. View attachment 158037
So are you walking 8 hours to WDW? That might be the only way I would think that you would be at high risk for experiencing an unwanted interaction with a snake.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Please, this isn't the concrete jungle of the northeast. Snakes, gators, feral hogs, coyotes, bobcats, etc are abundant. 5 and a half hours North of Orlando they caught a 12 foot gator that weighed in over 500 lbs.

If the weather or wildlife don't kill you its a good day.

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
So are you walking 8 hours to WDW? That might be the only way I would think that you would be at high risk for experiencing an unwanted interaction with a snake.
No I drive. My point was people visiting there are poisonous big snakes all over the south. Someone had stated that there were only garter snakes in NC, no copperheads. There are plenty. Not just on roads in yards etc. You totally missed my point. I grew up running into snakes daily in summer. Just saying because you, personally haven't seen one doesn't mean they are not here and also so that people can see a true copperhead looks nothing like a garter snake. :)

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
They aren't a problem unless you happen to accidentally step on one or corner one. Then you will have issues. I have lived for 68 years, traveled all over the world and have never seen either, with or without a head.
They are actually an aggressive snake, more so than a rattlesnake. Much rather walk up on a rattlesnake than a Copperhead. The rattlesnake will warn you. I promise you the Copperhead won't. Hate the things!

21stamps

That's gonna need a heck of a skewer to roast that puppy :hungry:
It amazes me that Python hunting is so popular! I'm glad they're doing it...but better them than me!!!!

That photo was taken from a google search, not my personal one. Thankfully!lol

Stupid idiots for letting them loose in the first place. They should all be in jail.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
No I drive. My point was people visiting there are poisonous big snakes all over the south. Someone had stated that there were only garter snakes in NC, no copperheads. There are plenty. Not just on roads in yards etc. You totally missed my point. I grew up running into snakes daily in summer. Just saying because you, personally haven't seen one doesn't mean they are not here and also so that people can see a true copperhead looks nothing like a garter snake. :)
Sorry I missed your point. I was simply attempting to discern a point from what you wrote.

Goofyernmost

I don't remember ever stating that there were only garter snakes in N.C. I did once mention that in the few years that I have lived here I have never heard anyone saying that they saw anything other then a copperhead. And that most people didn't know one snake from another and if they saw a garter snake they identified it as a copperhead. But, yes, they are all over the place, however, they are not the only ones here and to be honest I have never seen anything but a garter snake since I have been here. Anyone saying that there are no copperheads, is living a very dangerous life of denial. It's just that it is twisted in such a way that it sounds like there are nothing but copperheads around and every step you take will inevitably lead you to an encounter.

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Obviously, I did not make any of my points well so I am going to try and clear up what I meant. :)

I posted the photo that my husband took yesterday, to point out exactly how different they do look from a Garter Snake as well as to point out that just because you don't always see them (just like not everyone always sees a gator at Disney World) doesn't mean they are not there. I am in no way saying oh my gosh, we are all going to die from the millions of copperheads but having grown up, in the mountains, in red clay that they love, I have also seen a few too many in my lifetime. Usually where there is one you will actually have several. Like I said mostly just showing how intensely copper the color is because so many people confuse the two and also thought it was a pretty cool picture even if I am so afraid of them. ~Hope that cleared it up a little and also I was referring to the other thread when I said someone posted there were no copperheads in this area, not you. :) Have a great day!

Donillary Crumpton

They aren't a problem unless you happen to accidentally step on one or corner one.
^This. Copperheads are not "bad" animals by any means, and should be respected, not feared. I do a lot of hiking in various places around the south. This was the only copperhead I've ever encountered. (I named him "Bob".)

I watched him prowl around for a good while, he watched me fiddle around with my camera some & take a water break. As long as people keep a safe distance and, like you said, not startle one, then they are nothing more than extraordinary animals to observe in the wild. What makes them dangerous is their ability to become virtually "invisible" along forest floors (I did a pan-out shot of the woods I was hiking in during the video, showing how camouflaged they can become). And also they remain perfectly still when a larger threat is present...so many times people won't know one is near until they've accidentally crossed that personal space boundary, and a bite is imminent.

It's frustrating when people kill them...just because it's a snake. They do a lot more good than harm, and help control populations of other more dangerous, disease-carrying rodents. Like so many other critters out there, if people just keep their distance & not touch...then there is no threat of danger.

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
^This. Copperheads are not "bad" animals by any means, and should be respected, not feared. I do a lot of hiking in various places around the south. This was the only copperhead I've ever encountered. (I named him "Bob".)

I watched him prowl around for a good while, he watched me fiddle around with my camera some & take a water break. As long as people keep a safe distance and, like you said, not startle one, then they are nothing more than extraordinary animals to observe in the wild. What makes them dangerous is their ability to become virtually "invisible" along forest floors (I did a pan-out shot of the woods I was hiking in during the video, showing how camouflaged they can become). And also they remain perfectly still when a larger threat is present...so many times people won't know one is near until they've accidentally crossed that personal space boundary, and a bite is imminent.

It's frustrating when people kill them...just because it's a snake. They do a lot more good than harm, and help control populations of other more dangerous, disease-carrying rodents. Like so many other critters out there, if people just keep their distance & not touch...then there is no threat of danger.

We had an area dozed and leveled when I was little and disturbed a nest of copperheads in the process. Everyday it seemed we encountered one and they were young and very aggressive. I am quite thankful my daddy was there to kill them when they would strike in our garden and the woods we played in. I do not think you should kill non poisonous snakes but where poisonous ones are, where kids play, kill it! Jmo. Rattlesnakes in mountain lakes definitely do not rattle but can make me almost walk on water to get back in the boat. That one, was shot, best of my memory. ;) Nice avatar and name by the way lol
*edit to add, and clarify my husband did not kill the snake. A tractor did. He, being afraid of mice, loves snakes

Donillary Crumpton

We had an area dozed and leveled when I was little and disturbed a nest of copperheads in the process. Everyday it seemed we encountered one and they were young and very aggressive. I am quite thankful my daddy was there to kill them when they would strike in our garden and the woods we played in. I do not think you should kill non poisonous snakes but where poisonous ones are, where kids play, kill it!
If it is a problem or infestation like you describe, and especially in an area where children will be living, then by all means, I agree something needs to be done. I was referring more to like when people see a random copperhead, rattlesnake, whatever, out in the woods or along a hiking trail, and kill it just because it is there. If it weren't for poisonous snakes...we'd have a lot bigger problems on our hands with diseases caused by rodents, and lord knows what else.

But as far as keeping kids safe in their homes & yards...absolutely, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Nothing is worth jeopardizing the safety of our families.

Rattlesnakes in mountain lakes definitely do not rattle but can make me almost walk on water to get back in the boat. That one, was shot, best of my memory. ;) Nice avatar and name by the way lol
It's on my bucket-list to see & capture on camera an eastern diamondback rattlesnake in the wild. So far, I am batting 0.00 in that department, and having absolutely no luck despite spending countless hours on trails & in areas down in Fla where they frequent. :( Those are beyond elusive.

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
If it is a problem or infestation like you describe, and especially in an area where children will be living, then by all means, I agree something needs to be done. I was referring more to like when people see a random copperhead, rattlesnake, whatever, out in the woods or along a hiking trail, and kill it just because it is there. If it weren't for poisonous snakes...we'd have a lot bigger problems on our hands with diseases caused by rodents, and lord knows what else.

But as far as keeping kids safe in their homes & yards...absolutely, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Nothing is worth jeopardizing the safety of our families.

It's on my bucket-list to see & capture on camera an eastern diamondback rattlesnake in the wild. So far, I am batting 0.00 in that department, and having absolutely no luck despite spending countless hours on trails & in areas down in Fla where they frequent. :( Those are beyond elusive.

I agree with what you are saying about the trails. Most people, would never see a copperhead in those surroundings, they blend in so well and no you should not kill them in their habitat, unless they were striking or about to cause harm. What was swimming in the lake, was I am assuming, an Eastern Diamondback, they are pretty fond of the lakes in NC, such as Fontana and Santeelah (sp) where the rocky, springs and rivers lead into the lakes. I only saw the one, in the water, he had several "rattlers" (wanna say 12) and was 4 1/2 feet long and fat!! I have not been back since! Happy hunting.

Goofyernmost

Bob's last name wasn't Saget was it? Cause that could be why no one seems to know where he is!

MinnieM123

Premium Member

That was scary how well "Bob" could camouflage himself in the woods. You were smart to keep your distance while filming. (If I saw a snake like that, I'd probably run in the opposite direction! ) ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom