Rainy Day at Disney Suggestions

bcalltimandanna

Original Poster
Going to WDW for the DF's birthday. Staying at POP. Here's my dilemma.... just looked at the weather and it is supposed to rain all day. What do you like to do on a rainy day at Disney? Right now, we have fp+ for MK.

Bairstow

Yup. Ponchos and sandals. If you know ahead of time it's going to rain, a good lightweight rain jacket is much more comfortable and durable than a plastic poncho.
Bring some zip-lock baggies to protect your wallets and cellphones.

If you absolutely don't want to go to the parks, it might be a good day to go to Downtown Disney and/or resort hop. The Polynesian, appropriately. looks really neat when it's raining outside

Matt_Black

Seconding the parks. The rain makes a great conversation piece when you're meeting characters. I ducked into a spot with a lot of people hiding out from the rain; half of us were there to be dry, and half were awaiting Peter Pan & Wendy, so good timing. I mentioned that I was sure Neverland got some big storms, and Wendy told me no. "At least not when Peter's there. When he's away, it snows." Which is interesting, and when you think about somewhat disturbing, especially if you've watched Once Upon a Time. I also quipped to Aurora that now I know how Prince Philip felt after Samson knocked him into the pond.

coltow

I always bring 2 pairs of shoes JUST for that reason. We all buy new sneakers maybe a month before we go on vacation to break them in and we keep the old shoes to pack. If we know the day is going to be a wash out we wear our old shoes & ponchos. Then before we head home we just throw out the old shoes

bethymouse

Best time to be at the parks is when it rains! We've been there in downpours! It used to really clear the parks, but not so much anymore. Everyone just sticks it out until the sun comes out again!:D But, thunderstorms are a different story. The last time we were the 9/13, there were daily thunderstorms, and man were they wild!:eek: We stayed in the tent where you meet Minnie, Daisy, Goofy, and Donald ( Pete's Silly Side Show) for it seems like over an hour until we ran all the way back to Main Street USA. It just never cleared up!:( We went back to the hotel, and waited a while, ate dinner, and then went back at night. It was still raining cats and dogs, but we rode some rides. No Wishes!:( It was crazy! But, who cares? We were at WDW.:p

plaz10

Check out attractions that are covered - so many of them are! (Space Mountain, Under the Sea, Monsters INC Laugh Floor, etc...) Florida showers are usually not super long so you may head into a queue in the rain and come out to find sunshine!

plutofan15

photo.JPG

Another vote to go to the parks. This photo was taken at Animal Kingdom about an hour before closing time at the end of this past January. The only person you can see is my son. There were no lines - rode Everest three times in a row with no wait. Cast members practically dragged the kids in to meet Mickey & Minnie. The kids had nearly 10 minutes alone with them until the next family came in.

Disney Shib

I love the parks when it rains. Of everyone wants the perfect sunny and 80 degree weather while they are on vacation but the rain drives some of the crowds away. Most of the attractions are inside anyway so it really doesn't have to damper anything unless you let it. We "drank the world" at Epcot in the rain once and it was the most fun time we've ever had there.

ABQ

One thing I always keep in mind, a rainy day at WDW is still normally better than a sunny day in the real world.

And though the poncho recommendation is by far the cheapest and highly successful option, I do love my Helly Hansen foul weather gear bought at the Puffin's Roost inside the Norway pavilion. Believe it or not, their prices aren't bad (probably because HH stuff is just plain expensive no matter where you buy it.) Waterproof and breathable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom