Rain Rain go away :(

Matt71

Original Poster
Heading out for WDW on Friday and they're calling for scattered thunderstorms for Sunday thru Tuesday. This is our first trip to Disney and it's kind of bumming us out.

Does the rain really have much of an impact?

Monday is no big deal because we will be doing Disney Quest which is all indoors. Sunday and Tuesday we are going to DHS and Epcot.

Any advice on how to make the best of a rainy day?

Also, do the water parks stay open when it rains?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Buy a poncho and take extra socks and just have fun with it. The crowds thin out when it rains and the fun is just as good or better....

macsmom

Go to the sporting goods department at WalMart and buy each of you a poncho for each day. They cost less than $1 each which is alot better than the prices at WDW. I carry one in my pocket so I am ready to go in case of a shower. And, if you don't use them all, you can just return them or keep them for emergencies.

danna

Matt71

Original Poster
Way ahead of you on the Ponchos. We bought some even before we knew the forecast. We were hoping we
wouldn't have to use them:(

Here are our rough schedules for those days:

Sunday - DHS
9-10 Rockin RC (FP), Tower of Terror (FP), Sounds Dangerous, Great Movie Ride
10-11
High School Musical 2
11-12
Beauty & The Beast live
12-1 Lunch @ Rosie's All American Café
1-2
Voyage of the Little Mermaid (FP), Magic of Disney Animation
2-3 Muppet Vision 3-D, Lights Motors Action Stunt Show
3-4
Block Party Bash
4-5
Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Star Tours
5-6
Dinner @ Hollywood & Vine (Fantasmic package)
6-7
Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream, Studio Backlot Tour
7-8 Fantasmic
8-9 Fantasmic
9-10
Drive to Magic Kingdom
10-11
Wishes Fireworks, Laugh Floor Comedy Club, Space Ranger Spin (FP)
11-12
Spectromagic Parade, Stitch (FP), Space Mountain (FP), Indy Speedway
12-1 Golden Carousel, Dumbo, Peter Pan's Flight (FP)
1-2 Mickey's PhilharMagic (FP)

Tuesday - Epcot
8-9Soarin (FP), Circle of Life, Living With The Land (FP)
9-10
The Seas with Nemo & Friends
10-11
Ellen's Energy Adventure, Mission Space (FP)
11-12
Test Track (FP)
12-1
Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment, Honey I shrunk the Audience (FP)
1-2 Lunch @ Le Cellier Steakhouse
2-3
Innoventions
3-4
Spaceship Earth

Tuesday - DTD
5-6
Explore DTD Westside
6-7
Dinner @ Wolfgang Puck Express
7-8 Explore DTD Westside
8-9
La Nouba
9-10La Nouba
10-11
La Nouba

Do you think we'll have any problems rain-wise?
Yes we know that we are trying to pack in a lot, yes we will be flexible and yes we don't expect to get in everything.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I don't see any problems. Fantasmic might not run if it's raining or might run a reduced show.... But it's unlikely even that would happen. Test Track does shut down if there's lightening in the area. Normally the rain won't last long even if it comes and you should be fine if you just ignore it.

Mikester71

Actually, I remember on my first trip to WDW in March of 2005, it poured rain through the whole Fantasmic show the night we decided to go (and I mean REALLY down poured). They still ran the whole show and it was still great. Got to see a drier version last year on my second trip. :ROFLOL:

We usually just hit all the indoor stuff or go shopping when it starts to rain because it usually ends pretty quick. The only time it really rained on one of our trips, it happened during the night (and I mean all night long), so we caught a break there and it dried up quickly the next morning anyways.

Enjoy your first trip to WDW and don't let the weather get your spirits down. I know I kept looking at the weather reports for down there for weeks before we went both times, and both times the weather ended up being better than they said it was suppose to be. HAVE FUN!!:wave:

Hrudey3032

Me personally I love when it rains during the day at the parks as it really thins crowds out and allows me to do more in a day at the park.At night tho you want it to be dry.I went the year of Hurricane Irene and the park was closed day before due to the conditions but the next day it rained all day and me and my brother did just about everything ride wise at the MK 2-3 times each.(This was when park was open til 11 in october of 99)We had never experienced anything like this before.It did the same thing at Epcot in 2001 and rained all day and we just walked onto most rides.It was almost like having the park to ourselves with a few friends around.

Mouser365

Every trip I have made to Disney the weather reports would say scattered thunderstorms....I never got hit with them once during the day, just overnight while we were sleeping. Don't dwell on the weather report----you'll ruin your pre trip happiness with worry!

Matt71

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong, we won't let it ruin our trip. I'm just trying to decide if I need to rearrange the schedule a little.

NOone has answered my water park question. Do that stay open in the rain? Especially Blizzard Beach with the big slide and the ski lift. Seems like there might be more safety issues involved. Then again, everything would be wet whether there was rain or not, so...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Don't get me wrong, we won't let it ruin our trip. I'm just trying to decide if I need to rearrange the schedule a little.

NOone has answered my water park question. Do that stay open in the rain? Especially Blizzard Beach with the big slide and the ski lift. Seems like there might be more safety issues involved. Then again, everything would be wet whether there was rain or not, so...
I don't think they close for rain. They might not let you on certain areas if there's lightening in the area, but I'm pretty sure the water parks stay open.

H20Babie

We were at TL last March break and it started to rain around 3 pm. The park pretty much cleared out and we had the place to ourselves until 5 pm when it closed.

As for the parks, I was looking at those "scattered thunderstorms" too, and decided just to bring a small purse-sized umbrella. Just more rides for me if others leave :)

Kinda ruins the pictures though :lol:

GBRob

Hi,

New member here. We are going to WDW next week on the 3rd and weather.com shows that there will be showers that week (ugh), but the weather forecast on this site shows only partly cloudy for those days. Which one is right?

Thanks!

H20Babie

It's been my experience, being to Florida in spring and summer, that almost everyday calls for a chance of precipitation. It's pretty normal. However, that said, if it does rain or shower, it's usually not for very long and clears up quite quickly or it rains overnight.

greg_burns

Was at Typhoon Lagoon last summer when it started to rain and they closed the park. Had been there less than 3 hours and was given rain-out tickets to come back any date in the future.

My question is, can anybody use those tickets? Or are they somehow (fingerprint, etc) tied to the original ticket holders?

I wanted to use these 5 tickets again this year with other family members. Anybody know? Don't want a nasty surprise when I get there in July. :)

Tim G

Heading out for WDW on Friday and they're calling for scattered thunderstorms for Sunday thru Tuesday. This is our first trip to Disney and it's kind of bumming us out.

Stop whining... buy yourself an umbrella...

We need the rain...

Rabflmom

Waterparks stay open during rain. They get everyone out of the water when there is lightening in the area( within a mile I think) but they reopen the slides after the storm passes.

Rabflmom

Waterparks stay open during rain. They get everyone out of the water when there is lightening in the area( within a mile I think) but they reopen the slides after the storm passes.

Just realized I said they closed if lightning was within a mile of the park. The slides and all water areas of the parks actually are cleared when lightning is within 6 miles of the park. They will reopen when the storm passes and it is safe for guests and CMs to be back in the water. If a storm threatens too close to the regular closing time of the park, they might decide to shut down the whole park rather than reopen for less than an hour.

Ilovewishes

We got rained on every day when we went in September and although it was a bummer when shows got rained off after sitting in a torrential downpour for an hour, we actually found alot of the rides hilarious whilst getting wet! Most notably when we got on Aladdin's carpets with blue skies and as soon as the ride started, it poured down! That was the only time I have ever heard anyone scream on Aladdin's carpets! It was so funny! Everyone was pointing and laughing and we had a really good time, even though we were wet through!

Like others have said - get a poncho and you'll be fine! At least you won't have to worry about getting wet on Splash Mountain!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom