1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Rain ponchos?

Discussion in 'WDW Tips' started by KLR, Oct 15, 2013.

1. awoogala

awoogala Well-Known Member

camping section at walmart or target.

2. DVCOwner

DVCOwner A Long Time DVC Member

We always take the $1.00 store ones and carry them in our pockets. When it rains we put them on and than they toss them away when it stops. Always take two or three per person in the group. I keep a Walt Disney World bag pack under my bed with these in there as well as other stuff I take. Restock the week we get back home and it's ready to go. In the bag is also landers, badge holder, water bottles, first aid stuff, annual passes, Disney Vacation Membership Cards, etc.

3. Nero the dog

Nero the dog Well-Known Member

The Disney store at the premium mall had the Disney ones for $5.99

4. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

Happened to see them for a $1 in Big Lots so I bought a few.

5. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

One time it looked like rain when we we're leaving the hotel so my wife asked a maid for some garbage bags, bam see through outer wear. LOL. Works fine honestly.

6. wtpoohntggr2

wtpoohntggr2 New Member

Walmart ponchos.. (found near the umbrellas) come in a drawstring bag for a few bucks. They have adult and children sizes. These last along time. (We have used for several Disney trips as well as UGA football games)
    I remove them from the drawstring bag and refold them to fit into a quart size zip bag (with the clip). They fit great in the bottom of a tote or backpack. The plus of using the zip bags is that after use during those Florida showers, turn them inside out and put back into the zip bag.

7. 3Caballeros

3Caballeros Well-Known Member

This is a great tidbit!! We have Disney ponchos but I was going to buy some cheap ones to take in case the Disney ones rip.

8. ratherbeinwdw

ratherbeinwdw Well-Known Member

Someone said on here a while back that they no longer replace ripped ponchos at Disney.
    I buy the .88 ones from Wal Mart. They hold up a lot better than the ones we bought at the dollar store.
    They are also longer and sealed on the sides which really makes a difference. I always stay dryer in my cheap ones than my Disney ones. We also take full rainsuits for days it will be raining all day. That's really the only way to stay dry. If it's hot, we only wear the jackets as they are long enough to cover our shorts and who cares if your legs get wet when it's 90 degrees. I also take speedo mary janes to wear when it's raining hard. The mesh dries quickly as do the removable soles. If they are really wet, I dry them with the hairdryer. Of course, this is only for constant rain. The little cheap ones are great for quick afternoon showers and wet rides. I can't stand to sit in a puddle in a seat. Yuk.

3Caballeros likes this.
  9. Todd L

Todd L Well-Known Member

I got a few Good ones at the Local Sporting goods store.Think they were Coleman?!!? I think its was $50 for 4 . They lasted all week and would have lasted Longer if I could figure out how to get them back into the packaging. Well worth it.

10. m3owbox

m3owbox Active Member

Found some at Target in the camping section.

ratherbeinwdw likes this.
  11. MickeyisMyBestFriend

MickeyisMyBestFriend Active Member

We got ours not pricey and good quality at Epcot, sorry I can't recommend getting them from anywhere else:)

12. MOUSEGIRL

MOUSEGIRL Active Member

We bought 4 in 1993, one of them tore on our trip this past December and went to buy a new one and the cast member said no need to buy one we exchange them for free. So for the 6 or 7 dollars we have gotten many uses out of our Mickey ponchos. We go 2 times a year.

13. disney4life2008

disney4life2008 Well-Known Member

I miss the old yellow ponchos with the mickey on the back, LOL! Here is a great article on their demise: http://www.yesterland.com/ponchos.html

With that said, the dollar store sells rain ponchos but they are obviously very cheap and after one use should be thrown away. I always get mines in red from walmart in the wilderness/sporting section for about $8 - Ive been using the same one for about 3 years now. Just make sure if it rains you air dry it before packing it back up.

14. mousehockey37

mousehockey37 Well-Known Member

Look up Stearn's Emergency Poncho on Amazon... Can't go wrong for 1 cent!!! That's right, $0.01... With $4.99 for shipping, buy a whole bunch of them!!!!!

15. VitaminjTX

VitaminjTX Member

It might be worth .01 if i could buy 100 of them and get them for 5.99 shipping included.

16. CtDisneyGuy33

CtDisneyGuy33 Well-Known Member

I got a bunch at the Dollar store for a buck a piece. Although some will disagree, I rather bring the cheap ones and throw them out if need be, then but the $6 or $7 ones at the parks

17. Becky

Becky Active Member

Offically it requires a receipt and has to be within so many ( I forget the number) days of purchase. I was told this at Epcot Guest Relations and by the managers of Mouse Gear and the Emporium when I tried to exchange my torn poncho. That said some CM's will make an exchange. I now use the 88 cent Wally World ponchos as I hate to fold up a wet ponch and reuse it. I throw the wet ponch away when the rain stops and use a new one when it starts up again. A drizzle, why bother.

18. ratherbeinwdw

ratherbeinwdw Well-Known Member

Wal Mart now carries a "breathable" poncho in purple, green and red. They're very lightweight, but made of a material that looks like a thinner version of an IKEA tote bag. They are 4.97. I plan to try one on my next trip.

CtDisneyGuy33 likes this.
  19. PARichards

PARichards Active Member

20. MOUSEGIRL

MOUSEGIRL Active Member

they look exactly the same as the new ones we got this year so I dont see why not.

PARichards likes this.