Rain Every Day!?

stitchsMom

Leaving in 6 hours for WDW... and the forecast is calling for storms every day :( Hoping that it will change - or at least not rain all day, every day!

DizneyPryncess

It always says that for Florida in the summer - it will not rain all day. There's usually quick passing storms in the evening due to humidity. Every July when I go, I swear the forecast calls for 7 days of rain and it never rains, if so, very little. No worries! :)

Upvote 0

Rob562

As others have said, usually you'll get about 20-30 minutes of drenching downpours late in the afternoon most days in the summer. It has to do with the prevailing winds and the topography of Central Florida that cause the humid air to form isolated thunderstorms. Just seek shelter in a store, restaurant, show or indoor attraction and wait it out. A lot of people run for the exits when the showers hit, and you end up with a less-crowded park when things clear up.

Here in Massachusetts we've had that exact same weather pattern for the better part of a week. It gets rather hot and humid during the day, and then thanks to convection currents, thin bands of very dense precipitation form in the early evening. It goes from slightly-overcast skies to dark-as-night torrential downpours, and then the sun comes out almost as soon as it stops raining.

-Rob

Upvote 0

xsupaxmanxsfnex

Used to live in Tampa and it was always like this. As others have said, it will just be a short little storm most likely during the afternoon. Grab a poncho and enjoy the light crowds from all the scardy cats that left.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

Rain will always be in the forecast for FL in the summertime. That doesn't always mean that it will...but more likely there will be a shower here and there that last an hour. My cousin comes home today from wdw and she said that the first 3 days it rained allll day! Then later in the week...it got a little nicer. Just because it says rain/thunderstorms everyday..doesn't necessarily mean that it will. Have a great trip and bring ponchos!! :wave:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
It was raining when I woke up this morning, which is very unusual for this time of year. As others have mentioned, it usually just rains (hard) for an hour or so in the afternoon, then clears again.

Ponchos, and a plan to return to your room for dry clothes/shoes if possible, is the way to handle it. There are so many "inside" activities to enjoy during the storm that you can still have a great time, regardless of weather.

Upvote 0

cndrellagrl

Same thing happened to us last year - forcast said thunderstorms every day we were there, all day long. Out of the eight days, it only ended raining 3 or 4 of them. And when it rained, it was for 20 minutes tops in the middle of the afternoon, then the sun came back for the day. Have a great trip!!!

Upvote 0

devoy1701

the weather has been kind of funny lately as Mom said... instead of the normal afternoon showers we've been getting bands of showers...starting in some places early in the morning and rolling through the area about every 2 or 3 hours...

oh yeah...and for those of you who haven't noticed...our Official State Nickname heads north with the snowbirds during the summer.... our summer Nickname is usually something like "When it Rains it Pours"

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

It always says that for Florida in the summer - it will not rain all day. There's usually quick passing storms in the evening due to humidity. Every July when I go, I swear the forecast calls for 7 days of rain and it never rains, if so, very little. No worries! :)

100% correct! Pack a poncho so you can trek to the rides and get in some short lines while everyone else is huddled in buildings avoiding the rain.

Upvote 0

Gooch

Ugh! Rain, how I hate you say. It rained EVERY SINGLE DAY (for 4 days) on my last trip in April. It was horrible. The only thing you can do is take/buy some ponchos and wear some shoes that you won't mind getting soaked! We were limited because of the rain. I hope you fair better than we did. :(

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

Leaving in 6 hours for WDW... and the forecast is calling for storms every day :( Hoping that it will change - or at least not rain all day, every day!

That reminds me a a joke one of the boat captains on the Jungle Cruise uses.
When the elephant blows out his trunk onto some of the passengers, the captain says, 'You might think that's just water but it's not.' He says it fast.

Unless you are the Wicked Witch of the West, you will not melt if it rains.
Actually it tends to thin out the crowds.
Just have your poncho handy.

Good luck.
:king:

Upvote 0

Shiloh

No, I live here and I can tell you it does not rain every single day. It may rain somewhere, but it is hit or miss and it certainly does not rain at wdw evry day.

Upvote 0

dandaman

Set your watch by it - it usually rains about 3:30pm every afternoon.

Bingo. Our usual schedule for a Disney park day in the summer:

1. Enter park between 9:00-10:00, depending on missed transportation, the lethargy of the waking family, or both. :lol:

2. Leave for hotel room between 2:30-3:00.

3. Arrive at hotel room, on average, a half-hour before that magic severe weather time slot.

4. Wait out storms until around 6:00-7:00.

5. Emerge from air-conditioned, twin-bed cocoon and enjoy the night. :D

Upvote 0

3fordisney

I totally agree with the other posts. It won't rain the whole time and is usually just a brief shower. It helps with the crowds. It will definitely thin out. We bought ponchos at WDW a few years ago and always bring them with us every year we go. If you are not interested in paying roughly $7/poncho, buy some at Wal-Mart or Target before you go and keep them with you in your backpack. This will not only save you a few dollars, but also make you stand out from the crowd. You won't blend in with the ones who bought the ponchos there.

We have found that the crowds are smaller after a shower. We never head for the exits. Its amazing how many people do that. We wait it out and then when the rain lightens up, we walk out in it. Don't let the mention of rain scare you. Just be prepared and go with it!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom