Quite confused about borrowing points...

RyPat

Original Poster
So i'm a little confused about borrowing points and maybe someone who's been a DVC member longer than i can make sense of this. We have 200 points at SSR with a December use year. So we can't borrow points from 2017 until December of 2016?? Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose of needing to borrow points? Or am i just not understanding how that makes sense?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So you just received your points in December 2015 for stays in 2016. The points you get this December will be for stays in 2017. OK, so let's look at a scenario. You want to go to VGF in May 2017. With a December Use Year, you will received points for that stay in December 2016. If you don't have enough, you can borrow points from the December 2017 Use Year to cover the rest when you make the reservation, which can be 7 months in advance. You don't have to wait for December 2017 to borrow.

So you call or go on-line in November 2016 to make the reservation, and even though you haven't received the December 2016 points, you can use them for the reservation, plus borrow from the next year's allotment to cover the rest. Clear as mud?? :)

RyPat

Original Poster
Well here is our actual scenario and maybe you can tell me if it makes sense....
We're staying at Beach Club Villas this April with some of or 2015 points and most of our 2016 points (2 BDR) so we have 14 points left for 2016. What we had planned on doing (up until this morning that is) was to borrow some of our 2017 points for a Disneymoon at the Poly this August, not realizing until now that we cannot borrow our 2017 points until December of 2016.

Is that how it works? And if so, doesn't that mean that if your use year is December then the month of December is the only time you would ever be able to borrow?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Well here is our actual scenario and maybe you can tell me if it makes sense....
We're staying at Beach Club Villas this April with some of or 2015 points and most of our 2016 points (2 BDR) so we have 14 points left for 2016. What we had planned on doing (up until this morning that is) was to borrow some of our 2017 points for a Disneymoon at the Poly this August, not realizing until now that we cannot borrow our 2017 points until December of 2016.

Is that how it works? And if so, doesn't that mean that if your use year is December then the month of December is the only time you would ever be able to borrow?

No you can borrow anytime from December of 2015 through November 2016 the 2016 points, and then December 2016 you can then borrow 2017 points until November 2016. You can always borrow from the following years points every current use year. So in a nutshell you can always borrow from the following year while in your current use year. Hope this makes sense!
I am a DVC member and I am almost always borrowing from the next use year every trip we book. :)

dreamfinder

The use year really just means that's the month your points for that year become available. You can borrow any point up until you hit your next use year, and thus would no longer be borrowing but rather using.

Rather than try to clarify when you actually "get" your points and fully understand what points you are really using, I'll take this approach. When you say you are using the 2015 points for your stay in April this year, did you bank those points? If you banked those points, you then simply "used" your 2016 points, and you should be able to borrow your 2017 points at this time. But if the 2015 points were "used" and you borrowed the 2016 points, then yes, you cannot borrow your 2017 points until December.

RyPat

Original Poster
No you can borrow anytime from December of 2015 through November 2016 the 2016 points, and then December 2016 you can then borrow 2017 points until November 2016. You can always borrow from the following years points every current use year. So in a nutshell you can always borrow from the following year while in your current use year. Hope this makes sense!
I am a DVC member and I am almost always borrowing from the next use year every trip we book. :)
Well see here's my confusion... because we tried this morning to borrow some 2017 points to use in August '16 and my fiancee was told we could not borrow our 2017 points until December of 2016

sxeensweet

Well see here's my confusion... because we tried this morning to borrow some 2017 points to use in August '16 and my fiancee was told we could not borrow our 2017 points until December of 2016

Yep I think you just got a not so great use year being its in December I was thinking of mine that is a February use year sorry about my first explanation!

Once you get to a certain point it will be to where you can borrow every year. But if your points are for 2015 then you can borrow 2016 now NOT 2017 yet.
Yes we are in 2016 already but your points are 2015 being you got them in December of 2015.
So to sum it up did you try to borrow 2016 points instead of 2017 points? Call back and have them explain everything to you. :)

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Akk, OK. Yup, that is true. When you are trying to make a reservation in 2016, you are using your 2015 use year points, and can only borrow one year ahead, so your 2016 use year points, which you don't actually receive until December of this year. I agree that it can be a bit confusing. We have a February Use Year, so it's a more straightforward as to when the points are available to borrow.

Your current Use Year points were given to you in December 2015 for use up to November 2016. You can borrow points from your December 2016 Use Year for this trip, not your December 2017 Use Year. December 2016 Use Year points will be for reservations up to November 2017 (well, Dec 2016 as well), so you can borrow 2018 points for a reservation in 2017.

sxeensweet

Akk, OK. Yup, that is true. When you are trying to make a reservation in 2016, you are using your 2015 use year points, and can only borrow one year ahead, so your 2016 use year points, which you don't actually receive until December of this year. I agree that it can be a bit confusing. We have a February Use Year, so it's a more straightforward as to when the points are available to borrow.

Your current Use Year points were given to you in December 2015 for use up to November 2016. You can borrow points from your December 2016 Use Year for this trip, not your December 2017 Use Year. December 2016 Use Year points will be for reservations up to November 2017 (well, Dec 2016 as well), so you can borrow 2018 points for a reservation in 2017.

Thanks for putting it in words better than I could in my last post! I'm in a hurry being I'm at work sometimes and I don't always get things across how I want to easily for someone else to understand. You always do a great job with that!
Hope the poster now has a clear understanding of how it works. Always want to help a fellow DVC member if I can. :)

RyPat

Original Poster
Once i jotted it all down and paper and could actually see it in front of me it was like...
images

It actually makes perfect sense now. I was thinking of them as "2017" points that i should be able to borrow for '2016' - when actually they are Dec '17 - Nov '18 points that i can borrow for Dec '16 - Nov '17

Oh well - looks like we may be renting points for our Disneymoon... Thanks for all the help! :cool:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Once i jotted it all down and paper and could actually see it in front of me it was like...
images

It actually makes perfect sense now. I was thinking of them as "2017" points that i should be able to borrow for '2016' - when actually they are Dec '17 - Nov '18 points that i can borrow for Dec '16 - Nov '17

Oh well - looks like we may be renting points for our Disneymoon... Thanks for all the help! :cool:
No problem! Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom