Trip Report Quick and (hopefully) Painless Princess Half Visit

Hello friends and fellow Disney travelers,

It's been a long month and half since our last visit, so it's about time we headed back to the World. OK, so, maybe that's stretching things a bit. Yes, we really are about to drive 950 miles each way for 3.5 days of vacation. Crazy? Yup. Guilty as charged.

We went to the World this year to celebrate Christmas and New Year's Eve. Long after that trip was totally planned, the idea of @MeffysMom doing the Princess Half (Glass Slipper challenge, in fact) came up. So, we looked at funding, decided to forego food and drink for a couple months and BOOM! another trip to the World.

Here's the plans (and a sneak preview of us running from when we went to the 2013 Tower of Terror 10 miler).

But if you need more Brifraz background, check out all the Trip Reports in my signature below - there's quite a few of them.

OK. Our adventure begins on Wednesday night, February 17th when yours truly has to conduct a concert at the high school where I teach. When the school calendar was set-up, we weren't even close to planning this trip, so we are stuck with a departure time of after 9pm. UNLESS...and this is the dreaded maybe good, maybe bad unless - we get enough snow that school gets closed and the concert postponed BUT, of course, not so much snow that we can't leave! To get to the point, we hope to hit the road around 10pm which means an estimated Disney arrival at about 1pm on Thursday.

Thursday in the World will start with a visit to the Race Expo at Wide World of Sports. Picking up our race packets and bibs as well as checking out some of the swag and visiting the KT Tape booth. We have some mid-late afternoon FP+ for Tomorrowland in Magic Kingdom, but whether we hit those or not, who knows! We will be going to the Poly for dinner - in fact, the Spirit of Aloha dinner show with a family that I have been friends with the dad since we were in middle school together - they are also Disney fanatics and running some of the races. After dinner, back into MK for a little while depending on how tired we are. And, somewhere in there, we will check in at Old Key West!

Friday morning we will be up very early for the 5K. We shall see how this goes. Back in 2013, my daughter and I had a blast in the 5K and I pushed her pace the whole way. However, just a year ago at a 5K in Washington DC, I made it about 50 yards into a 5K before one of my knees totally gave out and she ran the whole thing while I limped behind trying to keep her in sight. Thus, the visit to the KT Tape booth and hopefully getting my knees professionally taped. After the race, we will stick around Epcot for a while for hopefully a couple rides and a visit to the Rose and Crown. Late afternoon, we will head back to the room for a little down time (maybe even a nap). In the evening, we are going to hit Studios for a few FP+ and the Star Wars Dessert Party (and fireworks).

Saturday morning @MeffysMom will be running the 10K first thing. If she keeps her usual pace, we will actually still be able to go to Animal Kingdom for opening at 8am. And we have late morning FP+ and plan to use them (Everest, Nemo, Primeval Whirl). We are meeting up again with our friends for a late lunch at Raglan Road. The rest of the afternoon and evening are for relaxing at the room/pool.

Sunday is the super early morning for @MeffysMom to run the Half Marathon. Followed by a little more time at Epcot - can't immediately go to rest after a long run! Hope to hit Rose and Crown again, although we hear it can be a little crazy after races. After a return to the room and a nap, we have dinner ADRs at 1900 Park Fare which will be followed by some touring time in Magic Kingdom with FP+ for 7 Dwarves, Peter Pan, and Wishes.

Monday morning we will be hitting the road to head back home. Hopefully on our way at 9am so we can be home by midnight.

That's the plan, folks. Let me know what you think and as always suggestions are welcome!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sounds great - we'll be over there bright and early Sunday morning to cheer on my niece and nephew in the Half. I haven't made signs yet but I'll add MeffysMom's name to my sign if you want. Good luck!

We are planning to be at Epcot for the start and finish of the race and monorail to Magic Kingdom for some mile 5 pictures of @MeffysMom in action!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
OK, we are here. Got out of our house in the north at 9:15pm and arrived here in the World at 11:15am. Fastest drive we have ever done. 14 hours total, including breaks (really less than an hour of total breaks) which was nice considering how crowded the packet pick-up and expo were. Anyway, we arrived and went straight to Wide World of Sports before even checking in. The wait for picking up race packets was a bit variable, depending on the volunteer who was manning your number section. My line was quick and I had my bib in 5 minutes, but both girls were stuck waiting a bit longer with our daughter taking almost 20 minutes. The t-shirt pick-up was in the other building, so we checked out the merchandise shop in the Field House and then went over to the Josten's Center to get shirts and check that merch out. The line was down the steps and out to the soccer fields, BUT it moved very quickly and we were actually in and getting our t-shirts within 7 minutes.

After getting shirts, we found some good souvenirs (one of the --evidently last before they sold old-- wine glasses, some car magnets, and a pin --not for trading--) and looked around at all the running vendors. The KT tape line was very long, so my knees will have to go it alone tomorrow morning. We grabbed a beer for @MeffysMom and I and a frozen lemonade for our daughter, and after those made our way back out to the far (and we really mean far) parking lots and over to Old Key West. Got checked in and got some lunch into us before getting changed and heading to Magic Kingdom by bus. Sadly, the room wasn't ready, so we used the changing rooms at the pool and left our car at the check-in area for the evening.

Once at MK, it was FP+ time for Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear. For perhaps the first time ever, our daughter got the highest score of the three of us on Buzz, which was a big moment for her! On the way out for our dinner, the Philharmonic was playing which meant that we had to stop and listen. I think that I can now write off the trip as work-related research? It was fun to watch my daughter be amazed by the brass players (now that she is one herself). We monorailed over to the Poly and met up with our old friends for the Luau. It was a VERY enjoyable show and we were treated amazingly by our waiter - Mike from Rochester, New Hampshire (at least that's what his name tag was) is definitely one of the best servers on site and if you do go to the Luau, try to get one of his tables!!

After the Luau, there was a chance we would go back to the MK, but with both of us grownups working on less than 5 hours sleep, we decided it was time to get to our room. So, now here we are - unpacked, exhausted, and with a 3:30am wake-up call to get ready for the 5K. Good night, my WDWMagic friends. See you tomorrow (and I'll try to get some of the pictures uploaded tomorrow, too).

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I know, I know - the LIVE aspect of this trip report is a little lacking this time. Just too tired to sit and wait for photos to load to the laptop and then upload to the web to get a whole lot of reporting done! I promise lots of pics will come at some point, but right now...at 9pm on Friday evening, it still isn't happening!

But, as for the day - after the race, we had some sit and recover time (and the ceremonial icing of the knees) and then went into Epcot as relatively close to opening. The girls both love Sum of All Thrills, so they did that first (which is when I got the race pictures loaded). Then we tried the new "Colortopia" attraction inside Innoventions. It was fun, but nothing really special. Then over to Test Track where we took the single rider line and each got a ride. It was about 10:30am and we were pretty hungry, so we headed back to World Showcase and the girls got sandwiches at the Boulangerie which we ate along the Seine (or was it just the waterway to the Boardwalk??). Once 11am hit, we did a little shopping in the UK shops and then it was time for relaxation with Carl at the Rose and Crown, AKA a couple pints and some fish and chips which really hit the spot. We stayed there for an hour or so, just talking and meeting new friends. And then it was back to our room for the MUCH needed nap. The girls got a good 1.5 hours sleep and I got almost an hour after a brief visit to the jacuzzi for my sore knees.

Back awake at 4pm, we headed to Hollywood Studios for our evening of enjoyment. Starting with FP+ for Tower of Terror at 4:55pm, then Toy Story Midway Mania FP+ at 5:15pm, and lastly Star Tours FP+ at 6pm. We then grabbed some chicken nuggets (to get a little protein in us) before getting in line for the Dessert Party for the Star Wars fireworks. Once they let us in there at 6:45pm, we enjoyed the food immensely - the few nice savory options really hit the spot for me and we all enjoyed some of the desserts as well. The drinks - both kid and adult versions were enjoyed by all. And, of course, the finale of the evening was the new Star Wars fireworks show. I have seen a lot of fireworks in my many trips to the World and this one comes very close to being my favorite show of all time. Great music and excellent timing of the fireworks to the music. Really enjoyable!

After the show, it was time to get back to the room and that brings us up to the minute! And time to get some sleep before that all too early 3am wake-up for @MeffysMom to run the 10K in the morning.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I agree the Star Wars fireworks were spectacular last night...though I was not enjoying dessert or able to hear the music, I had a perfect view from the window in my room at Pop Century (50s section). :happy:

Hope @MeffysMom had a good run this morning...my daughter was out the door at 3:30 a.m. too!

Nemo14

I didn't get over to see you this morning - I'm fighting a bad head cold, and just didn't think it was my best idea. I'll see you next year!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
OK, let's rewind a little bit to Thursday. Our arrival day, which started with a visit to Wide World of Sports to pick up our race packets, t-shirts, and a couple souvenirs.
wwos family selfie.jpg

The doors were guarded, but I'm not sure that they were really protecting anyone so much...
wwos guards edit.jpg

After WWoS, we headed back to OKW for food and drinks before our Magic Kingdom time. There is a long standing tradition in my trip reports of drink pictures and I promise, this one will be no different. You just can't beat a pint and a turtle crawl.
gs drinks edit.jpg

Didn't take any good Magic Kingdom pictures, but my good friend from the last 30+ years did get a nice family picture as we headed into the luau.
pre luau edit.jpg

For some totally unknown reason, all my pictures at the luau came out a little blurry. I feel obliged to single out Mike from Rochester, who somehow managed to always stay one step ahead of my liver (in all seriousness, he was a GREAT server).
luau pints edit.jpg

I promised pictures and finally am getting around to putting them up. The past two days with @MeffysMom running her races has been great. But, I'm still behind!

Last edited:

LisaBelle

I caught a glimpse of the brifraz family walking through World Showcase on Friday afternoon! My sister and I were running late for our Biergarten ADR and I saw your family going the other way. I thought you looked familiar but couldn't figure out how I knew you. :banghead: By the time it dawned on me, I couldn't see you all anymore.
My sister and I were also in corral E for the 5k! We loved it! Looks like you and your DD enjoyed it as well!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
OMG, I was in the same corral. Now I'm gonna have to carefully scan your photo to see if I can find myself. it certainly was chilly, wasn't it.

We thought it was somewhat nice! But, we did come down from morning temps in the teens each day. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom