Questions for Disney fans...

Andrew Barliman

Original Poster
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me out with your views and ideas about Disney World. I'm a long-time Disney World fan myself, but I'd like to get other views about things.

I'm finishing up a book I'm writing about Disney World. It's a self-published title that is focused on helping families figure out whether a Disney World trip is the right choice for their family.

The manuscript is done, but I'd love to add in some quotes from real people that can help show how others feel about Disney World (besides me).

Though I'm hugely pro-Disney, this book is intended to be a fair and balanced look, so as to help others make a good choice for their particular situation.

NOTE: I'm a long-term member here at WDWMagic (though I don't post often), but I'm posting this under a pen name because I like to keep my personal life and my writing life separate!

I will not quote you without sending you a PM to make a specific request and to let you know that I'm interested. Any quote will be cleared by you for use. (Feel free to private message me instead, if you prefer.)

As a thank you, I will send *everyone* who responds here or by PM a free electronic (PDF or Kindle) copy of the book, regardless of whether I use your quote or not.

Also, feel free to add anything else you think is pertinent.

Finally, if you're interested, I'm looking for some beta readers to read through the book (it's short - about 50 pages) and provide pre-publication feedback. If you're interested, please message me.

THANK YOU!

Here goes! (And you certainly don't have to answer all the questions - they are just ideas to go from)
  • What surprised you about Disney World the first time you went? What was different (better or worse or just different) than what you anticipated?

• Did anything disappoint you? What exceed your expectations?

• Do you think Disney World is a good or bad value in terms of how much you spend? Why?

• What type of person do you think would dislike Disney World? Do you know anyone who went to Disney World and disliked it? Why?

• What trips have you taken instead of Disney World? How did those trips stack up as alternatives to Disney?

• What makes Disney World special to you?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Sounds like an interesting concept for the book. I'd be happy to help you if you'd like.

Here's some answer to your questions:

• What surprised you about Disney World the first time you went? What was different (better or worse or just different) than what you anticipated?
I can't remember the first time I went because I was a baby/toddler. I grew up with a Disney loving family (well my dad tolerated it but mom, sister and I loved it).
  • Did anything disappoint you? What exceed your expectations?

• Do you think Disney World is a good or bad value in terms of how much you spend? Why?
I believe that WDW is a good value for the money. If staying at a Disney resort airport transportation is included and basically worry free. Once at the resort there are the perks of extra magic hours, transport to the parks, and even package delivery. There are a lot of entertainment options for everyone from ride attractions, shows, dining, spas, fishing, golfing, shopping, and swimming. If someone can't find something they want to do then they are probably duds anyway. It provides a good escape and can be as relaxing or as busy as someone wants it to be. WDW provides a lot of services in which people can just go and relax, and leave their cares at home.
  • What type of person do you think would dislike Disney World? Do you know anyone who went to Disney World and disliked it? Why?
A person that would not like Disney....a person who is dead inside and has no imagination. Seriously though, someone who wants to escape crowds and be surrounded by nature and not a lot of man-made types of places.

Most people I know that have gone have enjoyed it. I had a friend in college who had gone as a high schooler with her family and she said they literally went for an hour and her parents were so annoyed by the crowds that they left. So she could never understand my love of WDW, she recently went and took her son to the Magic Kingdom for the day and she felt he might enjoy it and it would be a one time deal. She had me develop a plan for her and she ended up having a great time. Not to the point of being a total convert but she said that she would take her family again and maybe go to other parks as well.
  • What trips have you taken instead of Disney World? How did those trips stack up as alternatives to Disney?
I have traveled to many places, Hawaii, Europe, National Parks like Yellowstone, and many places in the Caribbean and Mexico. These vacations have a different focus and there are pros and cons. Usually if I plan a non-Disney trip I am either looking for relaxation or beach, or to experience something brand new. As for stacking up to Disney, I think service in many of my trips is comparable for the most part. And value really varies, when traveling to places like Hawaii and Europe the cost overall is much higher but everywhere has luxury and value options.

When traveling to Europe I was able to spend a few days at Disneyland Paris. I also stayed at their Sequoia Lodge hotel, and there were ways that WDW was much better and things I liked better at DLP. Like the food at Disneyland Paris was overall terrible and the food options as WDW are much better. And at DLP's Sequoia Lodge a continental breakfast (which was good: croissants!) was included with our room rate and WDW there is not a continental breakfast.
  • What makes Disney World special to you?
WDW is special to me because it has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I have been lucky enough to share WDW with many people in my life including my parents, sister, niece, brother-in-law, friends, and most importantly my husband. Whenever I go I know there will be something new for me to do, it will be a safe place for me, and I know that I will have fun. It is simply just a place that fills me with happiness.

Goofyernmost

I first went in 1983. I was 35 years old with my wife and two young daughters. I had never been and the only exposure I had to any theme park was watching the Mickey Mouse Club when they filmed in Disneyland in 1955/56. I'm not sure what I anticipated, but, what surprised me mostly was the organization, the up-beat feel, the mechanical operations and how they worked. The entrance to WDW via World Drive, the radio announcements as you drove in. In short... everything. I was hooked on the drive in.
There are many types that would dislike WDW. People unable to get in touch with there inner child, people who are generally unhappy people, people that can't tolerate crowds or lines, people that take themselves to seriously, people that do not understand anything about why something like this ever existed.

I do know one couple that went and hated it. I had spent all kinds of time going over things with them. Gave them videos to watch, brochures and maps to look at before they went. They went and when they got back I asked how what they thought. They didn't waste a minute telling me how much they hated it, how everything was for little kids and all they did was walk around the parks. They felt that was way to much money for something like that and they were never going again. I started asking what they thought about the rides like Jungle Cruise, PoTC, Haunted Mansion, HoP, CoP and (at the time) The Timekeeper. They just looked at me with a blank stare. Turns out they had seen the signs, but, never went into them because they thought they were nothing but gift shops. Never saw a single thing that wasn't right out in the open. Now they are an example of "not to bright" but, they do exist apparently. My guess is they never looked at a single thing that I had given them and didn't have the perception once they got there to notice people doing other things.

They told me that their next trip was going to be a cruise. My thought was... what are you going to do? Stand on the dock and watch the ship leave?
Most of them were good but, not as much fun. My trip to Europe and trans-Atlantic cruise last year was better then Disney, but, by now I'm sure I'm getting bored with WDW and that was so different.
  • What makes Disney World special to you? Just a fun place to be!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom