Question for those familiar with Southwest

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
So this morning Southwest opened up their dates for fall travel. I was all set to purchase our flights for our September trip. However I was very disappointed to only find about 5 flights the day we are leaving, all in the afternoon. We really want a morning flight and because we have 2 small kids, a non stop flight. Does anyone know if more flights are typically added as the date gets closer? I realize September is still far away. I called and after sitting on hold for about 20 minutes the guy basically told me he had no idea :)
Thanks!

NYwdwfan

So this morning Southwest opened up their dates for fall travel. I was all set to purchase our flights for our September trip. However I was very disappointed to only find about 5 flights the day we are leaving, all in the afternoon. We really want a morning flight and because we have 2 small kids, a non stop flight. Does anyone know if more flights are typically added as the date gets closer? I realize September is still far away. I called and after sitting on hold for about 20 minutes the guy basically told me he had no idea :)
Thanks!

Personally, I have not seen them add flights from the airport we use. I have seen sold out flights re-open, but not additional flights. Hopefully someone else has seen it happen.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Man that stinks. Thanks. We are leaving the last Friday in September. I checked every other Friday in Sept, just for the heck of it, and everyone has the exact same 5 flights. But when I got to August, there were a bunch more, including morning flights. I was hoping maybe more were added as the travel date got closer. We have to fly SW too because we opened up their card last summer and have been using it for everything to get the points.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you are able and located near another airport that SW flies out of you might have better luck. For instance, Austin may have limited SW flights but Houston which is four hours away may have a more flexible schedule.

I have flown SW quite frequently and have not seen them add flights once the schedule is released.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
If you are able and located near another airport that SW flies out of you might have better luck. For instance, Austin may have limited SW flights but Houston which is four hours away may have a more flexible schedule.

I have flown SW quite frequently and have not seen them add flights once the schedule is released.

Thank you, we are flying out of Providence. Boston is the closest and unfortunately Southwest doesn't fly directly to Orlando, every flight has a plane change. So with the extra driving, plus the plane change, I don't think it would benefit us at all :(

JourneysEnd

Man that stinks. Thanks. We are leaving the last Friday in September. I checked every other Friday in Sept, just for the heck of it, and everyone has the exact same 5 flights. But when I got to August, there were a bunch more, including morning flights. I was hoping maybe more were added as the travel date got closer. We have to fly SW too because we opened up their card last summer and have been using it for everything to get the points.
What about Thursday ? Would going a day earlier help?

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I bought the tickets this morning. There was one Friday morning flight that has a stop so we went with that one. All the non stops were in the afternoon. I'm not looking forward to getting on and off the plane two times with 2 kids but at least we still get there at a decent time!

CaptainAmerica

Thank you, we are flying out of Providence. Boston is the closest and unfortunately Southwest doesn't fly directly to Orlando, every flight has a plane change. So with the extra driving, plus the plane change, I don't think it would benefit us at all :(
Check Bradley or Manchester.

It does seem unusual that you're not finding more nonstop flights from Providence. Did you consider leaving on a Saturday? There's usually an early morning 6:30 or something like that.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Check Bradley or Manchester.

It does seem unusual that you're not finding more nonstop flights from Providence. Did you consider leaving on a Saturday? There's usually an early morning 6:30 or something like that.

I did check the other airports, thank you! In the end, the extra driving didn't really merit the flights that were available. I also considered changing our trip from Fri-Sat to Sat-Sun but, hubs really wants to come home Saturday so he can have Sunday to rest before going back to work (and ditto for our daughter before going back to school).

draybook

We've always flown out on a Tuesday. Might not be in some people's plans, but we get a non-stop flight. Of course, it's a lot closer going from Memphis to Orlando than it is Boston. Glad to hear you got it situated!

jenos0524

Did you look for Jet Blue out of Boston/Providence? also i know Delta goes direct out of Boston. I live in between both and will use which ever one is most convenient times/cheapest price. (my next trip i am going JetBlue out of Boston)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom