Question about the new Star Wars Hotel?

kateem

I agree that most won't spend the money if they are not "into it," but there is the stranded "Mom" problem. The big problem is keeping the experience immersive given that you can't stop people from being people, and I really don't see how you can REQUIRE a costume. But, I think you can get around a lot of it with the story telling aspects of the thing. I just made this up:

"The Rebel Alliance has gotten word that the Empire has learned that some VIP or another has been living in disguise on vacation planet Porlandio. In order to protect the citizens of Porlandio, the RA have scooped up its citizens to move to deep space until the danger passes. The RA can use your help! While you are our guest, if you want, take this opportunity to try out to become a soldier or and officer with the RA, blah, blah, blah. But be cautious of the spies and other dangers lurking around every corner."

That lets people in shorts and crocs to seem to be naturally present, and allows for people to choose their level of participation. I'm sure Disney would do a better job, but this kind of thing seems like it could be an option.

mm121

I go back to something @flynnibus said in the main thread on this topic. This experience did not need to be located at Walt Disney World. They could build it in Random City, USA and it would keep people engaged for the duration of the experience. This isn't just a (really fancy, expensive) place to sleep on your WDW vacation, it IS the vacation.

i think they plan to use part of star wars land for this for adventures after hours, or at least that would seem like a logical thing to do

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why does everyone think "Mom" wouldn't want in on this?

I know tons of moms and moms to be who are pumped for this.

There are definitely families where everyone is equally into Star Wars and will probably love this, but you are also going to run into families where this isn't the case. It might not be the parents, it might be two children where only one likes Star Wars.

Jedi Stitch

According to Bob, this revolutionary new vacation experience will be a living adventure that allows guests to immerse themselves in an entirely new form of Disney storytelling.

“It’s unlike anything that exists today.” Bob said. “From the second you arrive, you will become a part of a Star Wars story! You’ll immediately become a citizen of the galaxy and experience all that entails, including dressing up in the proper attire. Once you leave Earth, you will discover a starship alive with characters, stories, and adventures that unfold all around you. It is 100% immersive, and the story will touch every single minute of your day, and it will culminate in a unique journey for every person who visits.”

From the Disney Park Blog, As stated This is to be an Immersive add on to your vacation. You will have an option to spectate or be part of the story somehow.

Casper Gutman

According to Bob, this revolutionary new vacation experience will be a living adventure that allows guests to immerse themselves in an entirely new form of Disney storytelling.

“It’s unlike anything that exists today.” Bob said. “From the second you arrive, you will become a part of a Star Wars story! You’ll immediately become a citizen of the galaxy and experience all that entails, including dressing up in the proper attire. Once you leave Earth, you will discover a starship alive with characters, stories, and adventures that unfold all around you. It is 100% immersive, and the story will touch every single minute of your day, and it will culminate in a unique journey for every person who visits.”

From the Disney Park Blog, As stated This is to be an Immersive add on to your vacation. You will have an option to spectate or be part of the story somehow.

I suspect that if you want the "full" experience you better book for very soon after opening, because this feels like something that's going to evolve very quickly to be less comprehensive then it is initially, due to budget, operating difficulties, and guest preferences.

Someone above mentioned the Disney Institute devolution, and that's an interesting comparison. Will this ever morph into a normal hotel? I don't think so, but it might and it will certainly move closer to that after opening.

rsm

I suspect that if you want the "full" experience you better book for very soon after opening, because this feels like something that's going to evolve very quickly to be less comprehensive then it is initially, due to budget, operating difficulties, and guest preferences.

This.

Disneyhead'71

Why does everyone think "Mom" wouldn't want in on this?

I know tons of moms and moms to be who are pumped for this.
I used "Mom" as an example because if one parent isn't into it, she would probably just suck it up and the whole family would do it anyway. That's what parents do. I could have used Dad. I wouldn't do this.

If the 14 year old daughter doesn't want to do it, yeah, good luck with that. :D

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
I think people may be going a little over the top with what this will be.

I want to participate in activities, I also want to sit and drink a mimosa when I want, and swim with my child. I think it's OK to do both..and I think Disney most likely knows that as well.

Btw.. I'm getting totally confused by this thread and the other..lol

I truly don't care one way or the other. If it is totally immersive, then great! But I was thinking about it and wondering what will happen when Mom, Dad, 3 kids all pay for this and then Mom decides she just wants to take pictures of the family and not actively participate. That's all it is and just up for a good discussion, because I can see this coming up at this new resort experience.
Really, having a totally immersive hotel is a great idea and hope it works out for Disney and the people who want to do this:)

21stamps

I truly don't care one way or the other. If it is totally immersive, then great! But I was thinking about it and wondering what will happen when Mom, Dad, 3 kids all pay for this and then Mom decides she just wants to take pictures of the family and not actively participate. That's all it is and just up for a good discussion, because I can see this coming up at this new resort experience.
Really, having a totally immersive hotel is a great idea and hope it works out for Disney and the people who want to do this:)

I'll say this predecition.. I don't think it will be as rigid as people here think it will be.

I'll be there. And I'll be interacting, as well as having some time away from the participants.
I guess we'll wait and see.. but I'll be majorly shocked if it is all active participation all of the time.

rsm

Agreed. People seem to be interpreting "fully immersive" as expecting storm troopers to kick their hotel room door in at 2am to abduct them for a secret mission.

More likely for there to be optional, role play activities scheduled throughout the day. And depending on your 'character' and 'story' your activity schedule may be different than other people's. Street clothes the norm. Gift shop in the lobby with authentic garb (and the alien cast members in the lobby probably tease you about your funny looking clothes, encouraging you to head over to the shop for some more fashionable attire). Probably a round the clock bar/lounge with costumed cast members to give an opportunity for interaction at any time.

Sortof like how all the hotels have pools included in the price. To make the most of your stay you should definitely hit up the pool. But if you'd rather just head out to the parks instead that's totally your call.

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
Agreed. People seem to be interpreting "fully immersive" as expecting storm troopers to kick their hotel room door in at 2am to abduct them for a secret mission.

More likely for there to be optional, role play activities scheduled throughout the day. And depending on your 'character' and 'story' your activity schedule may be different than other people's. Street clothes the norm. Gift shop in the lobby with authentic garb (and the alien cast members in the lobby probably tease you about your funny looking clothes, encouraging you to head over to the shop for some more fashionable attire). Probably a round the clock bar/lounge with costumed cast members to give an opportunity for interaction at any time.

Sortof like how all the hotels have pools included in the price. To make the most of your stay you should definitely hit up the pool. But if you'd rather just head out to the parks instead that's totally your call.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too. Disney would have to do something like this, but I bet a few hard core fans would love the total immersion viewpoint. Just an interesting discussion, I think!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom