Question about the new Star Wars Hotel?

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
My theory is that much of it will be like an improvisational dinner show like Tony n' Tina's Wedding. You can attend and enjoy the show more as a spectator or you can interact with the characters and have a deeper experience. Some people like to hang back and observe more than participate and it doesn't do any harm to the people who attend and want to play around a bit more.

Exactly what I thought! I don't know why that other poster got so upset over the question? It seemed out of proportion to the actual OP question, which I thought was reasonable. Not all of us want to walk around as a wookie and participate in wookie-like activities. We like to be immersed and observe, and if we pay the same money, why not? Thanks for your well thought out response.

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
It's people like you that are why we cant have cool nice new things!!

I doubt disney even has the answers to all this yet. But whats the point of going if your going to just be a boring old fogy and not participate.

this is meant as an exclusive experience for fans that want an inclusive experience. though not sure how they can lock people in yet

maybe they should make the starwars hotel float off shore so that would take away the ability for people to want to leave

What?????? Just wondering why your response is so mean and sarcastic? Seems like an over reaction to a simple thought on the subject. Chill! and read some of the other rational well thought out responses.

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
this is too bad, since unfortunately people are idiots and will want to come and go and just treat this place like a regular hotel when its not meant to be

sounds like this project needs to be built off shore somewhere to literally take away the option to leave,

It's too bad they can't make it mandatory, as having some bozos in baggy jeans doesnt really fit with the theme

but thats exactly why this is gonna be priced mega bucks $$$$$$$ to try to motivate those that arent interested in the full experience to STAY AWAY

HOnestly, are you okay???? Why are you being so mean about this? Calling people names and saying they should stay away is just juvenile and asinine! If you aren't going to discuss this rationally without all this whining and name calling "stuff", just go to another thread where you can have more of a good time. Good bye:)
And by the way, who said anything about leaving the resort? I think it would be great to stay there, not leave, but have the choice of the level of immersion you want. What are you getting all upset about? Really? doesn't make sense to me. No one is arguing with you.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

A lot more folks would like to stay at a SW resort then want to engage in a SW LARP, myself included. So if Disney were smart, they'd build the "cruise ship" and surround it with a Star-Wars-y "space port village" that operates like a normal hotel. Essentially, build another Galaxy's Edge type planet dedicated entirely to hotel rooms and offering a range of interactivity.

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
A lot more folks would like to stay at a SW resort then want to engage in a SW LARP, myself included. So if Disney were smart, they'd build the "cruise ship" and surround it with a Star-Wars-y "space port village" that operates like a normal hotel. Essentially, build another Galaxy's Edge type planet dedicated entirely to hotel rooms and offering a range of interactivity.

Yes, can't see Disney losing money on those who love this idea, but don't want to be fully immersed in role playing, which follows them all through SWland, apparently. Just wondering? I'm sure they will get enough people to role play and love the idea to pay for it, but I feel that the other posters who say that, for example, Mom might want to relax but not participate while the rest of the family does, would like the opportunity too.. You have a very good idea to 2 types of hotel, one for total immersion and one for all the SW amenities but no role playing or interaction with SW characters.

Casper Gutman

Yes, can't see Disney losing money on those who love this idea, but don't want to be fully immersed in role playing, which follows them all through SWland, apparently. Just wondering? I'm sure they will get enough people to role play and love the idea to pay for it, but I feel that the other posters who say that, for example, Mom might want to relax but not participate while the rest of the family does, would like the opportunity too.. You have a very good idea to 2 types of hotel, one for total immersion and one for all the SW amenities but no role playing or interaction with SW characters.

Of course, you can still offer some interaction with SW figures, just of the Meet N' Greet variety, not the "I am Vad Wonnigan, space accountant" variety. And having a "normal" SW hotel in close proximity to the "cruise," with non-LARPing guests seeing the others arrive and leave at the start and end of their stay, perhaps see something like the "kickoff bash" before the "cruise" takes off, can serve as a great advertisement for the pricier "cruise." Plus, it would allow Disney to provide a wider range of packages - you take your 3 night "cruise" and then they move you into the "village" - you never have to stop Star Wars-ing!

rsm

This conversation seems like a pretty good example of why a 100% participation, immersive LARP model will never work seamlessly... people don't always get along. It's hard enough to get a room full of kids to play nicely together. Mix in a group of adults who all just paid an arm and a leg to play together and its a recipe for disappointment.

Kamikaze

This conversation seems like a pretty good example of why a 100% participation, immersive LARP model will never work seamlessly... people don't always get along. It's hard enough to get a room full of kids to play nicely together. Mix in a group of adults who all just paid an arm and a leg to play together and its a recipe for disappointment.

Tell that to the hundreds of Renaissance Fairs that take place every year?

CaptainAmerica

You're completely missing the point. At the prices they're going to be charging, the number of people who are going to want to stay there an NOT participate is going to be quite small. They're charging all-inclusive prices, meaning the majority of the people staying there are going to want the all-inclusive experience. You'd be flushing money down the toilet to pay a price that includes your room, attractions, activities, and food and then only take advantage of the room.

You're also wrong to suggest that Disney would be "losing money" by not catering to the casuals. That assumes there aren't enough hardcore fans to fill the beds, which is a faulty assumption.

Kamikaze

I have been to a number of different ren faires and have never seen one that required any level of participation from the guests if they didn't want to.

But do people go there who don't want to be there? I realize the high cost isn't part of the package there, but I've never seen any type of 'incident' between people at a Faire.

CaptainAmerica

I have been to a number of different ren faires and have never seen one that required any level of participation from the guests if they didn't want to.
Yeah but the people who don't participate aren't granted some kind of discount admission based on their non-participation. I don't think anyone is saying you'll be FORCED to participate. If you want to sit in your room and tap away on your iPad, fine. But you'd be wasting an inordinate amount of money to do so. Hate money? Then be my Guest.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I am sure they will set the price point so that they will earn about the same off the guests if they went to the park for the day or stayed at the hotel. This would essentially turn the hotel into a fifth gate.

Similar to my first thought...the Disney Institute Resort

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But do people go there who don't want to be there? I realize the high cost isn't part of the package there, but I've never seen any type of 'incident' between people at a Faire.

That's not what the op was saying...

"This conversation seems like a pretty good example of why a 100% participation, immersive LARP model will never work seamlessly"

I personally love going to Ren Faires, but I am not one of those people who wants to go in costume and do a lot of audience participation, I go to watch and be immersed in the environment, not to participate in the show. This is the same way I feel about the Star Wars hotel. I am a huge Star Wars fan and would love to stay in a Star Wars themed hotel but I don't think I would be interested in the whole interactive experience thing.

Kamikaze

Yeah but the people who don't participate aren't granted some kind of discount admission based on their non-participation. I don't think anyone is saying you'll be FORCED to participate. If you want to sit in your room and tap away on your iPad, fine. But you'd be wasting an inordinate amount of money to do so. Hate money? Then be my Guest.

Exactly. I think the whole idea of dropping $2000+ and then not taking full advantage of whats part of that is crazy. I realize for some people $2k is nothing, but obviously those aren't the people posting here asking these questions. If they were, they would just spend the money and then not participate, because they wouldn't care.

I think Disney (and people discussing it) are perpetuating a mistake by using the terms 'Hotel' and 'Resort' to describe this. They should have come up with a term to differentiate it from other offerings. 'Star Wars Experience' 'Star Wars Adventure' something like that. Obviously its still a hotel at its core, but the bed isn't what you're spending the money on.

CaptainAmerica

I think the question easily applies to families too. Dad and kids are all in with the "experience". Mom, not so much. Mom just wants to mimosa and chill her way through until Mickey Mouse!
But there is no Mickey Mouse, that's the whole idea. It's not bed in your themed resort then off to the Magic Kingdom the next day. It's bed in the themed resort and then a full day of themed activities, also in the resort. Once again, the price for this experience is going to be astronomical already. The value proposition goes completely out the window if you're not DOING the things that you're paying for.

It's like if dad and son want to eat at Boma but mom doesn't like that kind of food. Why would mom pay $45 for a seat at the table and then eat nothing but a cherry tomato and a piece of bread? She wouldn't. Either dad and son would go alone or the whole family would go eat somewhere else.

Kamikaze

That's not what the op was saying...

"This conversation seems like a pretty good example of why a 100% participation, immersive LARP model will never work seamlessly"

I personally love going to Ren Faires, but I am not one of those people who wants to go in costume and do a lot of audience participation, I go to watch and be immersed in the environment, not to participate in the show. This is the same way I feel about the Star Wars hotel. I am a huge Star Wars fan and would love to stay in a Star Wars themed hotel but I don't think I would be interested in the whole interactive experience thing.

The whole rest of his post was about people not getting along. I don't foresee that as a problem here just as it isn't a problem at a Faire. People are going to be living in the SW Galaxy for a few days. Literally living a dream in a lot of cases. I can't see 'petty differences' being an issue.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Exactly. I think the whole idea of dropping $2000+ and then not taking full advantage of whats part of that. I realize for some people $2k is nothing, but obviously those aren't the people posting here asking these questions. If they were, they would just spend the money and then not participate, because they wouldn't care.

I think Disney (and people discussing it) are perpetuating a mistake by using the terms 'Hotel' and 'Resort' to describe this. They should have come up with a term to differentiate it from other offerings. 'Star Wars Experience' 'Star Wars Adventure' something like that. Obviously its still a hotel at its core, but the bed isn't what you're spending the money on.

Because this is such a different concept I think it is going to make it challenging to market properly. I think the whole experience needs to be designed in such a way that people don't feel trapped in it, but instead a given a lot of incentive to not treat it as a normal hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom