Question about Columbus Day strategy

TheScreed

Original Poster
We will be going to Universal over Columbus Day weekend, and we will not be attending the HHN events that weekend. According to the current schedule, IOA will have 9:00 opening with 8:00 early entry, but USF will have 8:00 regular opening. We will have full days on Saturday and Sunday, but we have to leave for the airport around 11:00 on Monday so we will only have the first couple of hours that day.

What is the best rope drop strategy under these circumstances. We have not been in over a decade, so while Harry Potter is a priority we are open to seeing the whole shebang. Should we do early entry at IOA even though crowds are building across the way? Should we do USF first and take Hogwart's Express to IOA before the regular crowds arrive?

Also, any advice for the afternoons? I've read that USF crowds build during the afternoon as people come to ride before the 5:00 closing. Should we do USF every morning and then hop over to IOA?

Any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated!

fosse76

Are you staying on-site at one of the three hotels that offer Express Pass? If so then it doesn't matter so much except for the Harry Potter attractions. I have noticed that, in general, IOA is busiest in the morning and US is busiest in the afternoon.

TheScreed

Original Poster
I am staying at RPR so we will have express pass, but the Potter stuff is probably our biggest concern. We expect big crowds that weekend, and with both parks opening at the same time I'm not sure early entry is worth it.

GLaDOS

With Express and the entire weekend there, you shouldn't worry too much. Columbus Day weekend may be a bit more crowded than a normal off-peak week, it's not going to be crazy.

You'll be able to enjoy, take your time, and see all you'll want to. That's the nice thing about UOR, you really don't have to worry about rushing around or hyper planning

TheScreed

Original Poster
With Express and the entire weekend there, you shouldn't worry too much. Columbus Day weekend may be a bit more crowded than a normal off-peak week, it's not going to be crazy.

You'll be able to enjoy, take your time, and see all you'll want to. That's the nice thing about UOR, you really don't have to worry about rushing around or hyper planning

Awesome, that is reassuring. We will just go where we want when we want. It feels weird to say that after planning so much for the WDW portion of the trip, but it's nice to think there is a theme park where it's still possible to be spontaneous.

sandam1

Just one little nugget of information for you about the HHN closing at Universal - assuming that things remain the same as last year, if you have a park-to-park pass (and therefore can take the Hogwarts Express to Islands of Adventure), you can remain the Diagon Alley area of the park later than the 5 p.m. closing time (until 6 p.m. if I remember correctly). All you have to do is show your park to park ticket and you get a wrist band that allows you the extra time. We were able to get one extra ride on Gringotts and some shopping done before hopping the Hogwarts Express to the other side, where we did a few more rides and got dinner before IOA closing at 7 p.m. One note of caution: since EVERYONE is leaving through the Hogwarts Express at that point, the line can get pretty long, but it did keep moving at least.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom