QS dinner after a day in MK

Where should we eat dinner?

• Take the monorail so you can still watch HEA from the TTC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Canuckgirl78

Original Poster
I just booked our ADRs today (yay!!) for our 5-day trip in December but couldn't get dinner at 'Ohana on our second last night (boo!). My plan was to go to 'Ohana for dinner when MK closes at 6pm for MVMCP and see the HEA fireworks afterwards from the Poly. I'm not sure if my kids would even stay up for HEA (5 years and 2 years old), but that was the plan as I really wanted to see it! :)

So now I'm stuck with a QS for dinner this day, and my question is should we:
  1. Eat dinner at MK (e.g., Pecos, Cosmic Rays, or Columbia) before it closes and just have an evening to rest in our resort that evening
  2. Go eat at a QS in one of the resorts along the monorail (e.g., Gasparilla, Contempo, etc.) and try watching HEA from the TTC afterwards
  3. Go to Disney Springs for the first time eat there (e.g., Wolfgang Express, D-luxe, etc.) and then take the boat back to POFQ? (If you choose this, how long does it take to get from MK to Disney Springs?)
Thanks!!

ToTBellHop

Note that it will be Holiday Wishes and it will show at 10 pm. HEA only plays on non-party nights. The posted schedule is incorrect. Would you stay at a resort after a QSR for that long?

I'd go to Disney Springs.

Canuckgirl78

Original Poster
Note that it will be Holiday Wishes and it will show at 10 pm. HEA only plays on non-party nights. The posted schedule is incorrect. Would you stay at a resort after a QSR for that long?

I'd go to Disney Springs.
I completely forgot that the fireworks would be starting at a later time during MVMCP nights :(

Legendary

I would recommend either staying in the Magic Kingdom or eating at one of the monorail resorts. The problem with going to DS is the travel time. The busses can take an hour or longer which may not be the best idea for your kiddos. If you have a car you would still have to deal with parking at DS which can fill up depending on when your going. It would definitely make for a more relaxing evening if you take the monorail to Poly for dinner and hang out on the beach afterwards. It also squeezes in a monorail ride!

Worldlover71

I would recommend either staying in the Magic Kingdom or eating at one of the monorail resorts. The problem with going to DS is the travel time. The busses can take an hour or longer which may not be the best idea for your kiddos. If you have a car you would still have to deal with parking at DS which can fill up depending on when your going. It would definitely make for a more relaxing evening if you take the monorail to Poly for dinner and hang out on the beach afterwards. It also squeezes in a monorail ride!

That seems a little long to get from MK to DS. Even if you have to wait 20-30 minutes for the bus, the ride over is only 20 minutes or so for a total of 40-50 minutes. If the OP eats at the Poly or one of the other monorail resorts, they will have to take the monorail back to the MK (after going through security again) and then get a bus to POFQ which will take just as long. Since MK closes so early, I wouldn't worry about travel time. Maybe scope out a place to eat in MK, DS and the resorts and then go to the one that feels right that night.

Legendary

Just looking at distance and travel times is not good enough. There are certain routes that Disney busses take and believe me I have been on that bus that took upwards of an hour especially during peak travel time like OP was looking to go. I am familiar with the area and the busses do not always take the most direct route. Also, in the past you could only take a bus to DS from a resort. There was talk of a change in 2016 but I'm not sure if they implemented it or if it was temporary. This is why Disney recommends that you allow up to 2 hours to get to your ADR. I have also traveled by car (just last month) and yes you are right point A to point B is quick but given the huge amount of road construction every where your actual travel time is definitely longer.

iluvMainStMagic

A few more thoughts to throw into the mix -
The Monorail Deluxes all have good QS. We really enjoy the Contempo Cafe, which would give you a Monorail ride, plus it would be easy to hop back on, go to the TTC, and take the Epcot Monorail (for a little longer ride), then take a bus back to POFQ from Epcot. If you have tired little ones, that might be a good, fun, winding-down time. And POFQ is not that far from Epcot, so you might be able to see a bit of Illuminations over the trees.
That said, we also love to eat at DS, and if I remember correctly, the boat ride back to POFQ is only 15-20min.
Also, there can be almost as much walking at DS as at a park, so might be good to keep in mind for tired little ones (and adults) at the end of the day.

correcaminos

Now I voted for DS but really I love all the QS at all of the monorail resorts. Truthfully we do. We often hop around to each during our various stays there. That said with a 2 & 5 yo I wouldn't plan on staying up for the fireworks. Also you will miss the projections even from the Polynesian (too far away). The Water Pageant goes by Polynesian at 9pm if you'd want to see that, but even that could be a stretch depending on your kid.

So I would pick either QS at a resort or at DS

Canuckgirl78

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I love the idea of going to Disney Springs since we wouldn't have gone there otherwise, but I think it'll all depend if there are buses going directly from MK or not, and how tired the kiddies will be. The next day (our last day at WDW) we got 'Ohana early dinner reservations, so we'll be doing the monorail from MK to Poly, and then taking the monorail/bus to POFQ, so they'll get their monorail trip then :)

carriebeth

On a night MK closes so early I would not want to spend some of that precious time eating at a quick service when it would be easy and not late at all to go to Disney Springs to eat after MK closed

epcotisbest

I think you have left out the best option of all. For us, we would head back to the resort, have dinner there, then enjoy some relaxing resort and pool time. That is very appealing after a long day at the parks. You can bus to POFQ or POR, both have decent food, and this option has the least amount of travel time and the most amount of "us" time.

DisAl

I assume that you are staying at either POR or POFQ. If that is correct you could go back to your motel and ride the boats both to and from DS.
From what I remember I think the boat ride from DS to POR is about 20 to 30 minutes. Keep in mind that these are open boats so it may be a little cool depending on the weather.
POR has a larger QS, but the POFQ QS has beignets!

Dave B

I would tell you to drive over and park at Port Orleans Riverside, check out the grounds and pool, a lot of fun for the kiddos, then take the boat ride to Disney Springs, nice relaxing boat ride, will worth it

susan lees

POFQ does have a great QS restaurant so that probably would be my choice. If this would be your only opportunity to go to DS then I would do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom