Putting Your Hands Up in Space Mountain

ag2000

Original Poster
I have always wondered, will they smack the tracks above you? I know when your going through that one tunnel you can easily touch the ceiling. Because of that I was always scarred to stick my hands up during the ride for fear of hitting my hands on the tracks above. I just read "Mousecatraz" and theres a part where a former CP says they got to ride it with the lights on and said it was more terrifying with the lights on because you can see how close you come to the other tracks. Have there ever been any accidents associated with this?

dazzer68

:hammer: oh id like the answer to this to! i am six foot 5 and always ride this bent over ! as i.m worried ill hit my head!!!!, i know i wont i just cant see how much room there is!:hammer: id love to be able to ride it sat up properly!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
:hammer: oh id like the answer to this to! i am six foot 5 and always ride this bent over ! as i.m worried ill hit my head!!!!, i know i wont i just cant see how much room there is!:hammer: id love to be able to ride it sat up properly!

I'm 6'3" and have never had a problem.

If there were any risk of coming in contact with track by holding your hands up, don't you think that Disney would have warnings posted all over the ride to make sure you knew not to?

se8472

I'm 6'3" and have never had a problem.

If there were any risk of coming in contact with track by holding your hands up, don't you think that Disney would have warnings posted all over the ride to make sure you knew not to?

There are warnings all over the rockets and the ride saying to "keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside" the rocket.

maelstrom

I have seen Space Mountain with the lights on and even when I used to ride (I grew up and became too chicken), I have good night vision and I could see all of the tracks. It is a very compact coaster. I would keep my hands down on this one.

PhilharMagician

I'm 6'4" and I will tell you that I keep my hands inside Space Mountain every time I ride it. This is the only roller coaster that I have kept my hands down.

I do honestly believe that there is no possible way for you to hit your hands on the ride. If there was an issue the insurance companies would have a cow over it and you would probably be seeing people coming off the ride missing digits.

brertigger

It is possible to touch the ceiling in a few spots on the ride. I have ridden it with the lights on. There are only a few spots with very low clearance, but they are there.

Probably the lowest ceiling is in the tunnel with the blue lights (not sure what it's actually called-sorry). Before I had a chance to warn them about the low ceiling, a friend accidentally hit their hands on the ceiling in that tunnel (they are used to some of the newer rides, like EE with large amounts of extra space all around).

Wilt Dasney

A story has made the rounds...whether urban legend or truth, I know not...that a woman put her hands up while entering one of the tunnels on the ride. Sadly, her wedding ring got lodged on the ceiling and both ring and finger :eek: were left behind.

(I keep my arms down when I ride.) :eek:

Craig & Lisa

Being as tall as I am, 6'6", we tall people get shaken around alot in there so to keep from being hurt I always hold on. It's also an effort to get into those rockets even without some baggage on me, so I'm sorta wedged into the thing. They sometimes have to wait for me to get out before they can advance the rockets.

starchasers

I have ridden this ride SEVERAL times starting when I was eight years old and I am now 37. I have always put my hands up and have never hit anything. Even in the blue tunnel. My son who is 14 and is almost 6' also puts his hands up. It just looks like your close to the tracks. Kinda like riding through a parking garage in a truck or van and thinking your not going to clear the cement beams!:D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nope.... we discussed this a while ago. You can`t hit anything with your hands out... there`s no way the company would even risk it - even if you ignored the warnings and rode hands up.

ag2000

Original Poster
I have ridden this ride SEVERAL times starting when I was eight years old and I am now 37. I have always put my hands up and have never hit anything. Even in the blue tunnel. My son who is 14 and is almost 6' also puts his hands up. It just looks like your close to the tracks. Kinda like riding through a parking garage in a truck or van and thinking your not going to clear the cement beams!:D

if you are saying even in the blue tunnel your hands wont hit then you are a very short person, or have very short arms. Im 5'8 and remember having no problem touching it and it. Also when you ride its not pitch black, you can see the tracks and you can see they wrap around eachother very close. Im sure Disney wouldnt build this ride if it was easy to lose your hands but idk i just know from my experience it seems very possible.

Laura

Premium Member
A couple years ago I had a scenario pop into my head. One day there may be a disgruntled Cast Member working at Space Mountain who decides to install a giant saw across the tracks. So as you're flying through the darkness your head gets cut off. Having this in the back of my mind as I ride makes it a lot more intense, especially when I'm in the front seat. :lookaroun

RonAnnArbor

No you can't touch the tracks. Yes you can touch the tunnel ceiling, but that tunnel is a funnel and it is impossible to touch the entrance to the tunnel. I have lots of photos of the ride with the lights on from passing through on TTA when its broken - and it is your standard coaster track layout which does not permit you to touch any of the track or track supprts, even if they "look" like you could in the dark. In all honesty, do you think Disney would take ANY liability for any ride where you could break a finger? Do you think the coaster designer would take any liability in selling Disney a coaster that could break a finger? All these wives tales and rumors kill me. Wish I knew how to post the photos, but no matter what I have tried even following the isntructions of this website and no photos show up.

Tramp

I never put my hands up on that ride...no point to it.

I always figured that people put their arms up on coasters to show how brave and cool they are. It's so dark in Space Mountain, the only person you might impress is the person directly behind you...unless, of course, you're in the last seat and totally out of luck.

Laura

Premium Member
I never put my hands up on that ride...no point to it.

I always figured that people put their arms up on coasters to show how brave and cool they are. It's so dark in Space Mountain, the only person you might impress is the person directly behind you...unless, of course, you're in the last seat and totally out of luck.

*snickers* (dorks)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
As a brave and cool person, I always put my hands up, I also try to have the restraints a little loose to allow a sense of freedom. The laws of physics mean that I wont go anywhere. Besides I thought people in the former colonies were too worldly wise to be influenced buy such things.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
A story has made the rounds...whether urban legend or truth, I know not...that a woman put her hands up while entering one of the tunnels on the ride. Sadly, her wedding ring got lodged on the ceiling and both ring and finger :eek: were left behind.

(I keep my arms down when I ride.) :eek:

Now I thought the whole wedding ring rumor was associated with Haunted Mansion. There is one for Space Mountain too :brick: :brick: :lookaroun

CX360

Actually, it is impossible to touch anything that may be of danger during a coaster ride, indoors or out.
You see, after a coaster is built, they do what we coaster enthusiasts call a "pull-through". They put part of the train on the track, and attach a wooden board as shown in this picture.
The board simulates two riders with their arms fully extended, in all directions. If something goes wrong, as in, the board scrapes something, they adjust the track or fix the obstruction. If there is extra scenery involved, such as tunnels, they do another pull through with the scenery, and made more adjustments as necessary.
So, unless you are freakishly tall, you won't have to worry about losing any fingers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom