Public transportation from Orlando airport to Disney World

B Shull

Original Poster
We have booked a week at the Dolphin hotel and airfare for the middle of October. The hotel was not booked through Disney so there is no Magical Express offered. I am looking into ground transportation and everywhere you look all you read is you need to either take Mears, a taxi, or a limo. Well for 2 people Mears is $64.00 round trip. I have used this in the past but after our trip to DC and traveling the town on the subway and buses I thought to look into Lynx. Looks like the 111 runs from the airport to Disney with at least 3 different stops. The first is across the street from the east end of Downtown Disney,the next is the west side (which by all I can read has no Disney bus service at this time) and the ticket and transportation center. Looks like my best choice is to get off at the east end, walk across the street and catch the bus to the hotel. I am looking at about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get there. With Mears it can take this long some times because they will wait until they have a full load and will stop at several hotels dropping off people. I am looking for anyone who has taken this ride before to give me some advice. If this works out OK for us I will be spreading the news. Thanks for listening.

Sans Souci

I would double check this, but I was under the impression that you couldn't bring luggage onto the resort busses. You might be able to pull it off if you're just carrying a weekender bag, but if you've got pullmans with you, they might not let you on. So I would definitely check this out, otherwise you might have to take a taxi to the Dolphin (and even if you did, you're still ahead of the game).

B Shull

Original Poster
I didn't think about that. I will start looking into that. I've never tried to travel on a resort bus with luggage before. I figure all we will have will be a carry on and a hand bag or backpack of some kind. I guess if I packed everything in a backpack there would be no questions asked.
Thanks

B Shull

Original Poster
I would double check this, but I was under the impression that you couldn't bring luggage onto the resort busses. You might be able to pull it off if you're just carrying a weekender bag, but if you've got pullmans with you, they might not let you on. So I would definitely check this out, otherwise you might have to take a taxi to the Dolphin (and even if you did, you're still ahead of the game).
I just received an email reply from disney guest services telling me they don't allow luggage on the resort bus. Also directing me to where to board a Mears shuttle at the airport. Well I have a little time before we leave and the wife is willing to pack light in backpacks and make a go of trying to beat the system and save money. People roam the Disney area with backpacks all the time so who would know the difference. There are others we are meeting and they think it is too risky and are packing heavily so they will be taking Mears and who knows we might also.

Funfy

We called and they said you could (person checked with supervisor)-so not sure what the actual answer is. We are staying at Saratoga Springs first two days of trip. We are taking Megabus from Atlanta then taking Lynx to DTD. We will see if they let us on Disney bus with carry-on size luggage. If not we will walk to Saratoga. Then we will know in the future.

B Shull

Original Poster
We called and they said you could (person checked with supervisor)-so not sure what the actual answer is. We are staying at Saratoga Springs first two days of trip. We are taking Megabus from Atlanta then taking Lynx to DTD. We will see if they let us on Disney bus with carry-on size luggage. If not we will walk to Saratoga. Then we will know in the future.

Keep me posted on how it goes with your attempt. I still have some time before our trip and I hope someone has the opportunity to attempt to make it to there hotel using a resort bus with luggage.
Good Luck!!!

Funfy

Keep me posted on how it goes with your attempt. I still have some time before our trip and I hope someone has the opportunity to attempt to make it to there hotel using a resort bus with luggage.
Good Luck!!!
Will do. Hopefully, not an issue. Although my fear is that it depends on the bus driver and their knowledge of the rules, etc.
We have put in a request through DVC for Disney to start looking at ways to pick up Megabus riders that are guests. The possible $1 seats usually gets their attention. Megabus because they do not have their own terminals change drop offs sometimes. We would like to have them drop off at the airport and then we can take Magical Express to resort. We will see. I also noticed Megabus is advertising on here and on more and more sights.
We always drive (from Atlanta), so, it is a viable option for us.

B Shull

Original Poster
Will do. Hopefully, not an issue. Although my fear is that it depends on the bus driver and their knowledge of the rules, etc.
We have put in a request through DVC for Disney to start looking at ways to pick up Megabus riders that are guests. The possible $1 seats usually gets their attention. Megabus because they do not have their own terminals change drop offs sometimes. We would like to have them drop off at the airport and then we can take Magical Express to resort. We will see. I also noticed Megabus is advertising on here and on more and more sights.
We always drive (from Atlanta), so, it is a viable option for us.

Not to alter your plans but the Megabus stop is the Lynx central station. You can take bus 11 to the airport and I checked the schedule and it leaves every 30 minutes. There you can take the Magical Express.

B Shull

Original Poster
Not to alter your plans but the Megabus stop is the Lynx central station. You can take bus 11 to the airport and I checked the schedule and it leaves every 30 minutes. There you can take the Magical Express.

It's only a 40 minute ride to the airport.

Funfy

I think you can only take Magical Express if you are flying.

B Shull

Original Poster
Maybe I think it only requires a Disney resort reservation.

We stayed 7 nights at Fort Wilderness the week before Christmas in 2009. Me,the wife, ond one grand child drive down pulling our camper. We arrived the day before our reservation and stayed the night in the parking lot so to be there early on our check in day. Our youngest daughter was flying in from DC the same day we got there. I talked to people about the magical express for her and was told it was no problem. But there was--- the only thing they checked for was a hotel reservation and they didn't let her get on the bus because she was a day early. If her flight had arrived after midnight or at least waited she could have taken the bus. So she took Mears to Fort Wilderness when she arrived and was able to use the Magical Express to return. It never had anything to do with a plane ticket but only related to a reservation check in and check out date.

Funfy

Maybe I think it only requires a Disney resort reservation.

We stayed 7 nights at Fort Wilderness the week before Christmas in 2009. Me,the wife, ond one grand child drive down pulling our camper. We arrived the day before our reservation and stayed the night in the parking lot so to be there early on our check in day. Our youngest daughter was flying in from DC the same day we got there. I talked to people about the magical express for her and was told it was no problem. But there was--- the only thing they checked for was a hotel reservation and they didn't let her get on the bus because she was a day early. If her flight had arrived after midnight or at least waited she could have taken the bus. So she took Mears to Fort Wilderness when she arrived and was able to use the Magical Express to return. It never had anything to do with a plane ticket but only related to a reservation check in and check out date.
Worth looking into then. Doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks.

Funfy

Yay! You were correct. We are on Magical Express coming in. We will take Megabus to Lynx Central. Take #11 as you said to airport, check in at ME desk and be on our way to our resort.

Thanks for your help!:)

CleveRocks

Here are the ONLY requirements for using Disney's Magical Express:
* staying at a Disney owned-and-operated resort (and named on the reservation)
* traveling between Orlando Int'l Airport and your Disney resort
* the ride TO your resort is on or after your check-in day, and the ride FROM your resort is on or before your check-out day
* you are at least 16 years old or are accompanied by an adult who is otherwise eligible to ride the DME bus

There is absolutely no requirement that you fly into or out of MCO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom