Protect Your Children!

justdru

Original Poster
In law enforcement, we always suggested that parents go by the hospitals before leaving on vacation and ask the nurses very nicely if they could make them a few wristbands. On the wristband they'd list the child's name, telephone number, backup number, and any medical problems or allergies.

The idea was that if your kid wanders off a name and phone number might not be enough. What if he gets hurts while searching for you and the emergency workers don't have you there to let them know he's allergic to certain meds? Etc.

The biggest perk this has is that when a child is scared he might not remember or think to show the workers another form of identification. This is especially true for younger children. However, with a medical wristband on, the worker will inevitably notice it because he or she will almost certainly hold your child's hand.

If your hospital is nice enough to do it for you (most will be) it's also free!

Just a tip! :wave: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3625880

SewIn2Disney

Hersheypark in PA has an area right inside the gates where they will give you a wristband and on the inside there is space for all that information. The employees there know to look for the red wristband on a lost child---I saw many children walking around with them last week when I was there.

If your hospital won't do it, I bet one of those rubber "Livestrong" bracelets would work too---maybe with a skinny sharpie. I'd write the info on the inside of the bracelet where only you and your child know where it is. Then teach your child how to show the inside of the band to a CM in case of emergency.

WDWmazprty

We always make something our girls can wear and not take off just in case. Of course we make sure its waterproof and sturdy and that it has all the important info on it, ph#, parents names, resort we're staying at, etc.

You just never know!

Maybe it's just me but having your childs name displayed anywhere on them doesn't seem like such a good idea. Same goes for the parents name. That allows a stranger to be able to approach them and call them by name or refer to your name making the child think they can trust them. Which for a frightened or lost child would be comforting assumming it was coming from someone with good intentions. So while all these are good suggestions, I think ommitting their name from things like wristbands or badges would be best.

Something clever I've seen that probably doesn't apply to anyone on here was a badge on a child stating that they only spoke French.

Dsnykdz

I agree anything with the childs name on it is not a good idea, I'm all for the old fashioned method of never takes your eyes off your child, it works. But i also know that accidents do happen. I guess for me its all about my kid when i take him to disney so i really don't worry about it to much

JohnnyDollaz89

In law enforcement, we always suggested that parents go by the hospitals before leaving on vacation and ask the nurses very nicely if they could make them a few wristbands. On the wristband they'd list the child's name, telephone number, backup number, and any medical problems or allergies.

The idea was that if your kid wanders off a name and phone number might not be enough. What if he gets hurts while searching for you and the emergency workers don't have you there to let them know he's allergic to certain meds? Etc.

The biggest perk this has is that when a child is scared he might not remember or think to show the workers another form of identification. This is especially true for younger children. However, with a medical wristband on, the worker will inevitably notice it because he or she will almost certainly hold your child's hand.

If your hospital is nice enough to do it for you (most will be) it's also free!

Just a tip! :wave: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3625880

my girlfriend just got one of these off line it is a medical alert bracelet she wears and says her name, house number and address and her sickness which is Asthyma so everybody knows god forbid she has an attack from the heat or a ride or anything

heartodisney

I have one ordered from Road I.D. with her name, parents and phone numbers..hers is pink and I will wear my red one so she will be "like Daddy"!

ohiospeechie

You can also use dog tags and have the info put on them. I have heard that you can go to most pet stores and they will do it for you or you can order them online. I was thinking of this and putting them on a necklace for my girls. The saftey tattoos are also something I'm looking into as well.

TRONorail10

I agree anything with the childs name on it is not a good idea, I'm all for the old fashioned method of never takes your eyes off your child, it works. But i also know that accidents do happen. I guess for me its all about my kid when i take him to disney so i really don't worry about it to much

FINALLY, somebody said it. Most lost children are a result of the PARENTS taking their eyes off of their children, not the child wandering off. If you are paying attention to your child, you will see if they start to wander off, it's common sense. Always keep your eye on your children at ALL TIMES. While I agree on some forms of child ID tags, just watch your children and keep them close in big crowds, 99.9% of the time you will be fine. :animwink:

Bri1121

I definitely agree that keeping your eyes on your children is the obvious way to keep them safe!! But I do like the bracelet idea.

These bracelets have the names and numbers on the inside, its not like they are flashing there name out there. You would have to look under the bracelet to find there name.

I agree that putting names on shirts or hair bows is not good but these bracelets are just an extra safety precaution!

Medic77

Although I have never "lost" my children, I see how it happens. An excited 4 yr old darts over to see Mickey while you scramble to get through the crowd, poof separated,..its that easy. Watching your children is imperative, HOWEVER, tags are are excellent idea too. Obviously don't display it easily for strangers. Our 10yr old will have her cell phone, and a designated meeting spot JUST IN CASE. Our 5 yr old will have a tag, plus we've been practicing our phone numbers.

HITCH KING

Although I have never "lost" my children, I see how it happens. An excited 4 yr old darts over to see Mickey while you scramble to get through the crowd, poof separated,..its that easy. Watching your children is imperative, HOWEVER, tags are are excellent idea too. Obviously don't display it easily for strangers. Our 10yr old will have her cell phone, and a designated meeting spot JUST IN CASE. Our 5 yr old will have a tag, plus we've been practicing our phone numbers.

I was one of those kids who followed at parade when I was 4ish. I started to walk behind the fence with rest of the cast members. Security asked me If I was lost. No, I am am here. My parents are lost. A few minutes later my parents showed up. All good.

britdaw

Although I have never "lost" my children, I see how it happens. An excited 4 yr old darts over to see Mickey while you scramble to get through the crowd, poof separated,..its that easy.

I love the idea of the tags and safety tattoos. We are going next spring, and I'm really worried as to how my 3-year-old will do; she loves to run off and look at stuff that excites her. I was going to do a "kiddie leash" but I am torn about that.

Gt2BtheGoodLife

This is the best thread here. Even if you are wary of having names on your child let there be a phone number or something. Another good tip, make sure your little ones know what a WDW name tag looks like and let them know that they are safe with someone with one of those name tags even though they may be a stranger (and of course that costumes differ and that kinda thing). Another good one is if you can teach your little ones to stop the second they lose sight of you.

maryszhi

great tip , especially now a days with the way things are. i am an adult and still have something in my purse that has emergency contacts, allergies, and insurance info. my friends do to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom