Projects in the pipeline

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Um, the Florida parks are holding their own attendance wise without bringing in anything new. Why are they forced to build anything when people will come no matter what?

Jimmy Thick- Bring on that 5th gate!!!

Yes, Disney has a very strong following, and people do go to Disney just because it's Disney, but over the long term they cannot sustain growth or even maintain thier current position unless they continue to improve their product. This goes for pretty much any business, not just Disney.

Pixiedustmaker

The 2012 numbers are said to be less than encouraging and it's clearly not the economy as Disneyland's and Uni's numbers remain up.

It's hard to figure out where the ceiling is for WDW given that the resort pulls in guests from all over the globe. But certainly, they'd like modest growth given that the U.S. population is growing, and given that countries such as China are rapidly growing a middle class, the market is growing.

Potterland has brought in more guests to Uni, and you'd think that this would have increased, modestly, guest levels at WDW. If a family comes to see Potterland, you'd think they'd also figure out how to work in a day at WDW. Flat attendance numbers are bad news, it means that even with "help" from Potterland, i.e. millions more tourists are visiting Orlando, the resort has sort of stagnated.

I think WDW has two big problems:

1. Poor upkeep. Splash falling apart, and the condition of the parks in general is not great.
2. Not enough attractions. They took out Snow White, yes, 7DMT is coming, and Mermaid is there now, but the wait times are ridiculous and growth in attractions hasn't kept up with increasing numbers of guests.

What has happened is that the parks are crowded, not kept up well, and it has knee capped growth so that it has stagnated, and probably will dip a bit. FLE will bring in some gawkers, but while Mermaid's outside looks good, the guts of the ride are the same as the one in DCA, and I just don't see it being a big draw years for now. I think 7DMT might draw some attention, but we'll have to see.

Pixiedustmaker

Yes, Disney has a very strong following, and people do go to Disney just because it's Disney, but over the long term they cannot sustain growth or even maintain thier current position unless they continue to improve their product. This goes for pretty much any business, not just Disney.

The market has grown with growth in the U.S. population, and with developing nations building up a middle class. There are guests to be had, but I think they won't be able to maintain their current guest levels if the condition of the parks continues to slide.

With FLE, they got in a run, but its not a home run like Potterland or Carsland. It's very hard to market plusses to Fantasyland that have been a long time coming, Mickey's Toontown Fair was a joke, and kinda of embarrassing for a castle park to have something like this.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The market has grown with growth in the U.S. population, and with developing nations building up a middle class. There are guests to be had, but I think they won't be able to maintain their current guest levels if the condition of the parks continues to slide.

With FLE, they got in a run, but its not a home run like Potterland or Carsland. It's very hard to market plusses to Fantasyland that have been a long time coming, Mickey's Toontown Fair was a joke, and kinda of embarrassing for a castle park to have something like this.

The 2013 numbers will be interesting. I don't expect FLE to have a big impact in overall WDW attendance, but I think it might give MK a bump in attendance at the cost of a drop in attendance at the other WDW parks.

doctornick

They are. Aside from minor diversions, nothing is planned for Orlando so far as I know. Elsewhere maybe.

I still don't understand why they wouldn't put something from Star Wars in WDW (specifically DHS) if they are developing it for elsewhere. Isn't Disney really keen on sharing developmental costs? And DHS needs any help it can get....

ToTBellHop

I still don't understand why they wouldn't put something from Star Wars in WDW (specifically DHS) if they are developing it for elsewhere. Isn't Disney really keen on sharing developmental costs? And DHS needs any help it can get....
They have other ideas for DHS already in development (not green lit) that could be constructed quicker. And they know DHS needs help.

JimboJones123

This is like the third fishing expedition already this year.

WDW fans are once again desperate for something. Anything. It is becoming g very pre-FLE around these boards again.

JimboJones123

The 2012 numbers are said to be less than encouraging and it's clearly not the economy as Disneyland's and Uni's numbers remain up.

With inflation only climbing a couple points, but WDW prices going up 8-10% across the board, holding steady seems just fine for WDW.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
According to Orlando United Avatarland is dead and Dagobah/Naboo will be the replacement.

I saw that posted there (and it was discussed in another thread here) and I am a little skeptical. If it does happen, as much as I love Star Wars, I think it would be a bad thing for AK theme wise because it will open the door to AK being a catch all for anything they want to build just like DHS.

lazyboy97o

I saw that posted there (and it was discussed in another thread here) and I am a little skeptical. If it does happen, as much as I love Star Wars, I think it would be a bad thing for AK theme wise because it will open the door to AK being a catch all for anything they want to build just like DHS.
I agree. Everything takes place in some environment and such stretches would degrade the park's integrity.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I think they'd be ill advised to not simply expand the SW presence at DHS. However could this signal that TDO is closer to expanding Pixar? Both need love... I still think they should put SW in DHS. Maybe a new Indiana Jones ride and a restaurant with land theming would work as well.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

According to Orlando United Avatarland is dead and Dagobah/Naboo will be the replacement.

I... I....I feel so conflicted on this.

i_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore_20.jpg

aristo_cat

I would really enjoy a Star Wars fifth gate or even a land. I'm not even a fan girl. I think that the Great Movie Ride needs to be revamped. Maybe add some new scenes? (Maybe Star Wars scenes?).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom