Project Thermal Springs = Adventureland Crowding Improvements

TP2000

Original Poster
One of the most under-rated threads here, in my opinion, is the Permits thread that our friend @SSG maintains. I'm not sure how he does it, but he gets official permit filings with the City of Anaheim and posts them and updates that thread constantly. Many times it's funny little mundane things, but sometimes it's major expansion or unannounced concepts. For those who haven't enjoyed that thread, check it out! http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/permits.918519/page-17#post-7745056

Today @SSG posted a new permit filing that is most interesting...

"Project Thermal Springs? M occupancy is merch and A2 is food.

Received BLD2017-02332 WALT DISNEY WORLD CO 1313 S HARBOR BLVD 2104 (Adventureland) Disney - Aventureland Overall - Project Thermal Springs - Change of use from M occupancy to A2 total area 2,154 sq.ft"
- @SSG

So from this we can deduce that Disneyland management wants to convert 2,100 square feet of Adventureland space currently zoned for retail and change it to food service.

2,100 square feet could be a big chunk of the existing Adventureland Bazaar shop that forms the entire right hand side wall of the Adventureland strip. But I can't imagine Disneyland would give up that entire retail space that always has lots of shoppers in it selling high margin clothing and homegoods, can you?

2,100 square feet could also be a chunk of Aladdin's Oasis, formerly Tahitian Terrace. But the re-zoning doesn't make sense because Aladdin already is a food service location with kitchens and has been since it was built in 1962. And it's never been a retail location.

But...

At the exit of the Jungle Cruise is the one other retail location in Adventureland. The funky Tropical Imports shop at the Jungle Cruise exit that sells rubber snakes, plastic spiders, apple slices and Cokes. A location selling very low margin stuff in the retail business, and doesn't get much business.
CIMG3347-X2.jpg

When you include the upstairs level that is sometimes used for Jungle Cruise queue, plus the abandoned stage they used to use for the steel drum band, that two level space with retail on the first floor would equal about 2,100 square feet. Right at the Jungle Cruise exit.

The view from the opposite side of this shop looks out directly on the Jungle Cruise loading area and the little lagoon that sits across the waterway from it. Particularly from the second level, there's a great view of exotic jungles and adventures beyond. Very moody!
World-Famous-Jungle-Cruise-X3.jpg~original

So what is Project Thermal Springs? (Hot water?) And why is Disneyland formally requesting to re-zone 2,100 square feet of Adventureland retail space into food service space?

Assuming all the info we have above is correct, perhaps Disneyland is going to build a Skipper Canteen/Trader Sam's type themed dining experience in the Tropical Imports space? Right at the Jungle Cruise exit, with a unique and exotic view of the jungle from the upper level patio. It's too small for a full service restaurant, but would be perfect for a tapas-style themed dining experience. And when Disneyland finally jumps in and allows limited alcohol service, this would make the perfect location for an upscale bar serving cocktails.

It would all make a lot of sense ($$$), and put that 2,100 square feet of space into much more profitable use than they are currently getting out of it selling bottles of Coke and rubber snakes.

Of course, this is all wild speculation on my part. But something is up. And some shop in Adventureland is about to become a food service location. Hmm.... :cool:

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
It's going to be another Club 33 lounge!

(I'm kidding)

And, yet... Mary Niven has shown she isn't afraid to convert under-used space into high end dining. 21 Royal Street for anyone willing to spend the cash, and the Club 33 expansion over the French Market to expand the Club 33 membership base.

I think they've tapped out on Club 33 for now, but I could see them wanting to create an upscale tapas-style dining location here. Hyper themed to the Jungle Cruise, a la' Skipper Canteen in WDW. With heavy input from Imagineering a la' Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel.

This Tropical Imports space would be perfect for that. I have half a mind to bring a measuring tape with me on my next visit to Disneyland and get some measurements to see if there is roughly 1,000 square feet of space on each of the two levels of the Tropical Imports building.

GiveMeTheMusic

And, yet... Mary Niven has shown she isn't afraid to convert under-used space into high end dining. 21 Royal Street for anyone willing to spend the cash, and the Club 33 expansion over the French Market to expand the Club 33 membership base.

I think they've tapped out on Club 33 for now, but I could see them wanting to create an upscale tapas-style dining location here. Hyper themed to the Jungle Cruise, a la' Skipper Canteen in WDW. With heavy input from Imagineering a la' Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel.

This Tropical Imports space would be perfect for that. I have half a mind to bring a measuring tape with me on my next visit to Disneyland and get some measurements to see if there is roughly 1,000 square feet of space on each of the two levels of the Tropical Imports building.

It just doesn't seem like there's much room for kitchen facilities there? I don't know.

And I have nothing to base this on but my own fever-fueled speculation, but I bet dollars to donuts that there will be a Club 33 lounge in Star Wars land.

TP2000

Original Poster
It just doesn't seem like there's much room for kitchen facilities there? I don't know.

I'm imagining the lower level is kitchen facility and entry/reception, and the upper level is seating and serving space. Not that this would be a full service restaurant, but for tapas and light meals that would be enough space. You'd need a dumbwaiter for food, and a small elevator for ADA compliance.

And it would require a full rework of the lower level for the kitchen install, thus the official permit filing with the City of Anaheim.

Stevek

I don't know why the would use anything other than the Tahitian Terrace space for a dining area unless they have other expansion plans for that. They really don't need any new dining areas in Adventureland with 3 (plus a walk up window, not counting Blue Bayou) literally within a few steps in NOS and Frontierland (Cafe Orleans, French Market, River Belle Terrace). Makes zero sense to me...but much of what Disney does makes zero sense to me.

westie

Great. that's all that area needs is something to make that bottleneck worse. A couple weeks ago they had CM's directing traffic there with those flashlights like the guys on the airport runways use. I say widen the roadway before your build more houses. Infrastructure before permastructure!

jamesv159

From what I've been told, Bengal BBQ is expanding into Adventure Outpost, Tropical Imports is moving into South Sea Traders, and the current location of Tropical Imports will become stroller parking.

SSG

That permit was just updated. The description now says:

Disney - Aventureland Overall - Project Thermal Springs - Change of use from M occupancy to A2, total area 2,154 to create dining area (No construction being conducted).

So, changing a shop area to dining, but no construction. That sounds very much like putting out some more tables and not much else.

D

Deleted member 107043

Do we know for sure that Aladdin's Oasis isn't currently class M occupancy?

D

Deleted member 107043

And I have nothing to base this on but my own fever-fueled speculation, but I bet dollars to donuts that there will be a Club 33 lounge in Star Wars land.

I'm keeping my expectations super low if it's a dining space going into the Jungle Cruise area. Like Tomorrowland Skyline Lounge low.

George Lucas on a Bench

I can see them converting the Bazaar. While they've modernized it and sell a lot of unrelated theme-killing clothing, it seems to be a lot of weird things and the same stuff you could find in World of Disney. Due to the presence of weird things, it seems too weird to survive. You really think they're making a killing selling animal ornaments and rubber snakes? As Kevin McCallister would say, I don't think so.

TP2000

Original Poster
From what I've been told, Bengal BBQ is expanding into Adventure Outpost, Tropical Imports is moving into South Sea Traders, and the current location of Tropical Imports will become stroller parking.

Okay, well that's interesting. And it would make sense; move the walkway clogging tables and chairs from in front of Bengal BBQ into the indoor space of Adventure Outpost. But then they'd also lose even more retail space by turning Tropical Imports into stroller parking?

It's not like them to give up several thousand square feet of retail space just to clear up a horribly clogged walkway. I don't trust 'em that much to do the right thing like that.

Although, it would be funny if my elaborately dreamed up Treetop Tapas n' Tipples cocktail lounge above the Jungle Cruise dock is totally wrong and all this is just to move some snack bar seating indoors and open a new stroller parking area.

But why the drama of the Project Thermal Springs code words then? Hmm... o_O

Longhairbear

This is an interesting one to follow. I'm wondering if it might be Aladdin for it's kitchen it shares, it's old Tahitian Terrace dining space, and Jungle cruise space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom