Project Gemini revisited

ToTallToSlow112

Original Poster
those of us who identify as true wdw scuttlebutt enthusiasts may recall a failed attempt at reinvigorating Future World known as project Gemini.

While you may remember this initiative..... and more than likely you don't.. one fact remains evident... Epcot can not survive on world showcase alone. Introducing more Pixar to future world seems like the awnser being thrown at the problem recently.

My question: If you were in charge how would you change things? Would u bank on trusted properties like Pixar. Or would u create origional characters and content..

MaxW

is there any actual talks of it being revisted? if not then this is more fitting general discussion or imagineering

ToTallToSlow112

Original Poster
Sorry if this was misplaced. It just seemed like there has been alot of talk about epcot recently (i.e. imagineers onsite, a new pixar feature, construction and bulldozers near by) granted the backhoes were merely for a vehicle interchange but none the less it sparked a nostalgic and yet poignant longing for some real discussion on the elephant in the room future world.

MerlinTheGoat

Project Gemini sounded vile. A primary component of the plan was to convert Spaceship Earth into a roller coaster. I don't usually insult imagineers, but whoever proposed that shouldn't be let anywhere near the park (thankfully the structure wasn't suited for such a ride). And an IP overlay of Living Seas did end up happening with Nemo (Gemini called for a Little Mermaid overlay instead, both are equally dumb).

The original concept of Future World was wonderful and can still work today. Heck had they continued to simply plus and upgrade classics like World of Motion, Imagination and Horizons it would have aged very well. Spaceship Earth got a wonderful overhaul in 1994 and that was a shining example of how to treat Future World (and its prior updates were fantastic as well), so it's definitely not impossible to do. That along with continually keeping the Communicore/Innoventions exhibits up to date as well.

IP's can stay out of the park, i've had enough.

DDLand

Project Gemini sounded vile. A primary component of the plan was to convert Spaceship Earth into a roller coaster. I don't usually insult imagineers, but whoever proposed that shouldn't be let anywhere near the park (thankfully the structure wasn't suited for such a ride). And an IP overlay of Living Seas did end up happening with Nemo (Gemini called for a Little Mermaid overlay instead, both are equally dumb).
I strongly agree with you on Spaceship Earth, that would be a travesty to lose. I did on the other hand find other parts of Gemini interesting at the very least. Softening Future World with increased plants and landscaping coupled with a more open design actually were promising and attractive parts of the concept. I wouldn't mind if there were more trees and shade in Epcot. I think that would work quite well.

@ToTallToSlow112 I see your IP question. I'm not sure if you're asking what they are or why they're a problem. IP or Intellectual Property has a tendency to move into classic areas or attractions and destroy story continuity and environment. They also keep Disney from designing original attractions like Big Thunder, Everest, and Adventure Isle. That stinks. ;)

Flip side is they are incredibly popular in many cases like HP and Cars. Most don't have a particular problem with IPs as long as they're in the right place and built in the right way with adequate budget and attention to detail. That's why people around here are jealous of DA, but furious about Norway or Arendelle as it should now be called...

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Again i'd like to repost this video again of classic EPCOT from August 1989 for those who claim the park was always unpopular and empty-

Those are out-the-door lines for some of the fastest loading and highest capacity rides anywhere (these suckers could chew through 2-3 thousand or more people per hour).

Intellectual Properties. In this case, Disney inserting movie and cartoon tie-ins into the park and its rides. Converting Living Seas to Nemo, Mexico to Donald and Friends and Maelstrom to Frozen.

As opposed to creating original rides not really tying into an existing media. Even Dreamfinder and Figment were original and exclusive to the park. The rest of the rides didn't really have substantial traces of Disney characters (besides perhaps some very subdued easter eggs).

I strongly agree with you on Spaceship Earth, that would be a travesty to lose. I did on the other hand find other parts of Gemini interesting at the very least. Softening Future World with increased plants and landscaping coupled with a more open design actually were promising and attractive parts of the concept. I actually wouldn't mind if there were more trees and shade in Epcot. I think that would work quite well.
I would have liked to have seen some art (not just an overlay blueprint) of the landscaping. Hard to tell what it would have looked like on eye level from the plans. Not making a judgement either way there since so little could be determined from it.

Visually I think Future World's original scenery worked very well though.

roj2323

Project Gemini was an an imagineering intern project. That's it. I have been told this by several imagineers and other high ranking leaders involved with Epcot park operations.

Rteetz

Again i'd like to repost this video again of classic EPCOT from August 1989 for those who claim the park was always unpopular and empty-

Those are out-the-door lines for some of the fastest loading and highest capacity rides anywhere (these suckers could chew through 2-3 thousand or more people per hour).

Intellectual Properties. In this case, Disney inserting movie and cartoon tie-ins into the park and its rides. Converting Living Seas to Nemo, Mexico to Donald and Friends and Maelstrom to Frozen.

As opposed to creating original rides not really tying into an existing media. Even Dreamfinder and Figment were original and exclusive to the park. The rest of the rides didn't really have substantial traces of Disney characters (besides perhaps some very subdued easter eggs).

I would have liked to have seen some art (not just an overlay blueprint) of the landscaping. Hard to tell what it would have looked like on eye level from the plans. Not making a judgement either way there since so little could be determined from it.

Wow I have never seen that video before. People actually waited for universe of energy? I never had the chance to experience horizons or world of motion. Imagine if they had FP then.

DDLand

Project Gemini was an an imagineering intern project. That's it. I have been told this by several imagineers and other high ranking leaders involved with Epcot park operations.
Interesting. Did it draw on existing plans of more credible projects already in the mix? Because certain elements did end up making it into the parks. Redesigning the Seas and Soarin most notably.

roj2323

Interesting. Did it draw on existing plans of more credible projects already in the mix? Because certain elements did end up making it into the parks. Redesigning the Seas and Soarin most notably.
I don't know. It's possible they used the project as inspiration but The conversation didn't get any more detailed than "it was an intern project and was never going to happen"

Luxe

Last time I saw that many people waiting in line to get on UoE was when Disney was giving away selfie sticks and buy one get one free park passes.

MerlinTheGoat

FP would have definitely increased lines. We've actually seen the real-time effects of what adding Fastpass to even a relatively efficient and high capacity ride will do. Little Mermaid at WDW shortly after opening was actually occasionally being operated both with Fastpass and without on the same day. It took a ride that was usually a walk-on (no more than 5-10 minutes) and increased it to 30-60+ minutes. Same with Haunted Mansion and Pirates when FP was added to those, they were commonly walk-ons due to the efficiency and capacity prior to the system, now they almost always have obscene lines.

mm121

Theres a bunch of different IP's that could would in epcot.

Wall-E
Big Hero 6
Tron (indoor tron racer would be an awesome replacesment for the old dirty smelly cars in futureworld at magic kingdom, and if done correctly could be built at ground level (possibly on utilidor level) with space for additional attractions on upper levels
Meet the Robinsons (never seen it, but looked like it could be fun, in the list of disney sci-fi that i saw)

I'm sure there's others that could be more approriate or aditions that could spice things up

Chris82

I'm of two minds about IP in Epcot - Turtle Talk with Crush doesn't bother me, as the whole idea is that a sea turtle is coming to talk to kids about marine life. Having Bruce posters giving information about sharks doesn't bother me. The ride, however, is extremely lame, and serves no purpose other than to let four-year-olds point and yell "Nemo!" periodically. IP that supports Epcot's inspirational/educational mission is perfectly fine, IP that substitutes for it is weak.

If Anna and Elsa took the opportunity of the ride to educate us on Norwegian culture, I'd have less of a problem - but it doesn't look like that's happening :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom