Project City gone from People Mover

Bocabear

When I was first assigned to the restoration project, I made an appointment with Dave Ward to visit the model and talk about his involvement. Dave had been with WDW Decorating back in '03, and had done a "restoration" of his own. He is now with WDI, and very proudly showed me all of the Star Wars miniatures he had installed... and there were many, many more than anyone across the internet was ever aware. While, yes, it was funny, I don't believe it was appropriate to do that on Walt's model... especially since he didn't bother to clean or repair anything. He spent his budget on installing Star Wars figures and MicroMachine cars... that's it. I told him that I found that to be incredibly disrespectful to the history and heritage of the model and to the people who worked on it, not to mention Walt himself. I informed him that I would return all of his toys to him at the end of the project, and I did. I personally crawled through the model and removed each and every inappropriate toy, and placed them all in a cardboard box on Dave's desk.

It may not be very loyal maybe to be this critical of your colleagues, openly. But what a mess of Disney did one generation of designers make. Mid-nineties to late naughties, roughly.

Star Wars figures in Progress City is sorta fun, the way Hidden Mickeys are sorta fun. But it is sandbox designing. It replaces, or at least mistakes the essence for a quick gimmick. Even if it does add an extra layer (does it?), it even more so detracts. Diminishes the original. Almost invariably, layers of irony clash with Disney design. That, even moreso than 'reverence for Walt's work' (an vulnerable argument that leaves classic design open to renewed assault by every new generation), is why it is best left to naughty joking around backstage.​
Beyond that, it is presented as a historical artifact....which it actually is and should be treated as such... If they want a fun model that can be messed around with to make a more exciting setting, start with a new one and add new technology into it and make it specifically for that space...Move the EPCOT model to One Man's Dream...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
We rode on August 10 and the Progress City narration (as well as other large chunks as noted) were missing. It was spooky riding through in complete silence for the most part. The ride was also operating strangely - we waited about half an hour to ride (in a nonexistent queue by TTA standards), where they would, about every 10 minutes, allow 20-30 people to go up the escalator and ride. Most vehicles were cycling through empty. I asked at the turnstile and was told "nothing was out of the ordinary" (despite a # of people that would typically get onto the ride in about 2 minutes). At load, I was told they were "going through some routine maintenance." Both were total BS.

We rode again August 13, 14 and 15 and the Progress City narration was still missing, but the other narration (eg. Mickey, Buzz, etc) was back. Also, no operations issues like we noticed on the 10th.
I was on the ride same time as you August 10, or maybe just ahead of you. We waited about 10 min just after a rainstorm. We stopped during the ride in Space Mountain, the lights came on, and then we started up again. Buzz narration was on, but Progress City was not.

PeoplemoverTTA

I was on the ride same time as you August 10, or maybe just ahead of you. We waited about 10 min just after a rainstorm. We stopped during the ride in Space Mountain, the lights came on, and then we started up again. Buzz narration was on, but Progress City was not.

Popular day :) We had just arrived or I would've made it through EMH until 2am! We were in line about 10pm or so...it was very strange. CoP was also cycling through strangely (I was watching from the Peoplemover queue and appreciating the new paint job when I realized it kept cycling through and no one was entering or exiting).

I've been on the Peoplemover during or after rain before but never experienced something like that - any idea what could have been the issue (did you have the queue issues as well, or just the on-ride issues)?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Popular day :) We had just arrived or I would've made it through EMH until 2am! We were in line about 10pm or so...it was very strange. CoP was also cycling through strangely (I was watching from the Peoplemover queue and appreciating the new paint job when I realized it kept cycling through and no one was entering or exiting).

I've been on the Peoplemover during or after rain before but never experienced something like that - any idea what could have been the issue (did you have the queue issues as well, or just the on-ride issues)?
That old relic has as host of issues. My money says the cars were colliding between unload and load. Frequently, the old "turn it off and on again" method works, given a little time. Other times the turntable may stop, and that shuts down the ride. That requires a more technical approach, and they literally open a panel by unload and hit something with a wrench.
I wish I were kidding.

Castle Cake Apologist

That old relic has as host of issues. My money says the cars were colliding between unload and load. Frequently, the old "turn it off and on again" method works, given a little time. Other times the turntable may stop, and that shuts down the ride. That requires a more technical approach, and they literally open a panel by unload and hit something with a wrench.
I wish I were kidding.

Having worked on TTA, I can very sadly vouch for the legitimacy of this statement.

PeoplemoverTTA

I wish I were kidding.

Having worked on TTA, I can very sadly vouch for the legitimacy of this statement.

Wow, I seriously had no idea. Thanks for shedding some light on this...although it freaks me out, lol. If there's a ride to worry about getting injured on, this is probably last on the list...or, was!

mouse_luv

Beyond that, it is presented as a historical artifact....which it actually is and should be treated as such... If they want a fun model that can be messed around with to make a more exciting setting, start with a new one and add new technology into it and make it specifically for that space...Move the EPCOT model to One Man's Dream...
Hasn't One Man's Dream been done away with and they are showing upcoming Disney movie previews in that space now?!

Space Mountain

I wish I were kidding.

"Trains Ahead" most likely the cause, as usual..

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Just on ride for us. No clue what the problems were, but we did ride just before you did. We noticed as we got off that they were holding the ramp and sending off empty cars. We made it until about 1 am that night. Got a bonus FP because our meal at Pecos Bell took like 5 minutes to be ready, which I guess they thought was too long. Wound up doing about 15 things between 7 pm and 1 am.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Wow, I seriously had no idea. Thanks for shedding some light on this...although it freaks me out, lol. If there's a ride to worry about getting injured on, this is probably last on the list...or, was!
The only times you need to worry are when you're loading (frequently cars will come zooming in from unload and collide with one you're trying to board) and if the ride stops and restarts while you're on it. When that happens, MOST of the time, all cars will go as they're supposed to, but sometimes one of them will stall and need a "physical stimulus" to move again. Specifically, another car ramming it.

Bairstow

Has there ever been a proposal to just pepper the indoor ride spaces with a bunch of show scenes? The ride has a terrific hourly capacity, no height limit, and with a new ride control system, could be very reliable. If they were to plus the heck out of it they could make it very popular and increase guest satisfaction without spending a ton of money.

bunnyman

I hope they don't change this ride. Love it for what it is; usually no real line and a chance to sit down for a leisurely ride or take a short nap!

Bocabear

Has there ever been a proposal to just pepper the indoor ride spaces with a bunch of show scenes? The ride has a terrific hourly capacity, no height limit, and with a new ride control system, could be very reliable. If they were to plus the heck out of it they could make it very popular and increase guest satisfaction without spending a ton of money.
I agree... A long time ago you used to be able to see the upper floors of the Home Of Future Living in Space Mountain, there were more windows into If You Had Wings and Mission To Mars.. Adding the whimsical scenes back in the 90s was nice but it needs so much more...especially now that Space Mountain is now more or less a black box.... What if on entering Space Mountain you went through a launch tunnel replica like on the ride, then under the rocket, then they could plus up the dome section where you can no longer see anything... The scenes from the 90s could be plussed with some movement (add the stitch figures!!)...Just some overall improvements would make this more popular than ever...and a nice addition to Tomorrowland....

admiral-ari-x

This could be really good for the attraction. Of course, as Bocabear stated, this was once unnecessary as it went through most of the attractions, but I think some dioramas ala the Disneyland Railroad could provide a basis for some really good enhancements in the ride! (Of course, not the actual dioramas, but more the idea of them-- dinosaurs and caverns, while cool in their own right, are a bit lacking in futuristic theme :p)

mouse_luv

I agree... A long time ago you used to be able to see the upper floors of the Home Of Future Living in Space Mountain, there were more windows into If You Had Wings and Mission To Mars.. Adding the whimsical scenes back in the 90s was nice but it needs so much more...especially now that Space Mountain is now more or less a black box.... What if on entering Space Mountain you went through a launch tunnel replica like on the ride, then under the rocket, then they could plus up the dome section where you can no longer see anything... The scenes from the 90s could be plussed with some movement (add the stitch figures!!)...Just some overall improvements would make this more popular than ever...and a nice addition to Tomorrowland....

I'm ok with everything but the launch tunnel idea, it's seizure inducing and not a good idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom