Project City gone from People Mover

Castle Cake Apologist

There is other work being done, even if it's not visible. Like I said, work on the model goes in spurts as they can. Here's an overview of what goes into rehabbing this, including the thought and research that goes into it:

https://sites.google.com/site/theoriginalepcot/2013-restoration

The PeopleMover needs a ton of work, which should come in the next major overhaul of TL.

That was an amazing read. It's so saddening to me to read things like this, though. The fact that it had only been touched twice in 38 years is mind boggling.

A couple observations:
1. Holy heck, I had no idea how bad they had let it get by the 2013 restoration. The before and after pictures are insane.

2. Who is Jeff Williams and why is he not in charge of WDI? This man 100% gets it and his obvious and legitimate respect for Walt's legacy is such a breath of fresh air from the usual corporate babble of modern Disney.

3. I used to work in Tomorrowland Ops and even I wasn't aware of the Star Wars figures that were hidden in the model. Removing them was absolutely the right decision. The thought that Dave Ward was given the rare opportunity to restore the model in 2003 and knowing that he instead used the budget (which he was very fortunate to get) to hide Star Wars toys throughout one of the most important pieces of Disney history is just ridiculous. How disappointing to learn that.

Is the rest of Progress City kept in the Archives, or was it destroyed when this portion was moved to WDW? Perhaps this piece should be in the hands of the Archives where it can be preserved and respected. I'd hate to see it removed from public view, but I'd hate more to see it be given the Spectro Treatment and just be left to rot until it must be trashed.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful article.

Last edited:

RobidaFlats

the fact that most folks passing through have no idea what it is... Why it's not in EPCOT, on permanent display, in an exhibition befitting its place in history, is another question.

The cynic in me wants to say that they wouldn't want to put it in Epcot because then they would have a harder time making people think that the theme park version of Epcot is the fulfillment of Walt's dream.

sm57co

Personally, I'm glad it was preserved. I don't think it always has to make sense with the dioramas, they provide a real sense of wonder that adds that extra punch of charm to the parks. I couldn't say the same for the perm lady though, lol.
Ha! I agree. If it was part of the old Disney, I like it. I'm a nostalgia guy. I like the weird old stuff. The perm lady is a bit odd but I love her. Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow...

zengoth

The cynic in me wants to say that they wouldn't want to put it in Epcot because then they would have a harder time making people think that the theme park version of Epcot is the fulfillment of Walt's dream.
Then I'd say One Man's Dream in DHS is a better spot, being the only place near to an East Coast Disney museum, but sadly this attraction is probably on deathrow as well (Hoping it would find a permanent home in the art of animation when launchbay exits...)

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20160820_224041.jpg
It's back

Attachments

• 20160820_224041.jpg
    20160820_224041.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 38

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
The narration for the model wasn't turned on in July. It was probably turned off a little prematurely. But now that it's back, I imagine the narration has been turned on again?

Magenta Panther

That was an amazing read. It's so saddening to me to read things like this, though. The fact that it had only been touched twice in 38 years is mind boggling.

A couple observations:
1. Holy heck, I had no idea how bad they had let it get by the 2013 restoration. The before and after pictures are insane.

I'm wondering if TDO will ever put the Star Wars action figures back in it. :p Oh sure, you laugh now...

fractal

flyerjab

The Empress Lilly

When I was first assigned to the restoration project, I made an appointment with Dave Ward to visit the model and talk about his involvement. Dave had been with WDW Decorating back in '03, and had done a "restoration" of his own. He is now with WDI, and very proudly showed me all of the Star Wars miniatures he had installed... and there were many, many more than anyone across the internet was ever aware. While, yes, it was funny, I don't believe it was appropriate to do that on Walt's model... especially since he didn't bother to clean or repair anything. He spent his budget on installing Star Wars figures and MicroMachine cars... that's it. I told him that I found that to be incredibly disrespectful to the history and heritage of the model and to the people who worked on it, not to mention Walt himself. I informed him that I would return all of his toys to him at the end of the project, and I did. I personally crawled through the model and removed each and every inappropriate toy, and placed them all in a cardboard box on Dave's desk.

It may not be very loyal maybe to be this critical of your colleagues, openly. But what a mess of Disney did one generation of designers make. Mid-nineties to late naughties, roughly.

Star Wars figures in Progress City is sorta fun, the way Hidden Mickeys are sorta fun. But it is sandbox designing. It replaces, or at least mistakes the essence for a quick gimmick. Even if it does add an extra layer (does it?), it even more so detracts. Diminishes the original. Almost invariably, layers of irony clash with Disney design. That, even moreso than 'reverence for Walt's work' (an vulnerable argument that leaves classic design open to renewed assault by every new generation), is why it is best left to naughty joking around backstage.​

PeoplemoverTTA

I was back by August 10.

The narration for the model wasn't turned on in July. It was probably turned off a little prematurely. But now that it's back, I imagine the narration has been turned on again?

We rode on August 10 and the Progress City narration (as well as other large chunks as noted) were missing. It was spooky riding through in complete silence for the most part. The ride was also operating strangely - we waited about half an hour to ride (in a nonexistent queue by TTA standards), where they would, about every 10 minutes, allow 20-30 people to go up the escalator and ride. Most vehicles were cycling through empty. I asked at the turnstile and was told "nothing was out of the ordinary" (despite a # of people that would typically get onto the ride in about 2 minutes). At load, I was told they were "going through some routine maintenance." Both were total BS.

We rode again August 13, 14 and 15 and the Progress City narration was still missing, but the other narration (eg. Mickey, Buzz, etc) was back. Also, no operations issues like we noticed on the 10th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom