1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Private Clubs

Discussion in 'Politics and Social Issues' started by The Mom, Jul 16, 2017.

1. The Mom

The Mom Moderator Premium Member

http://www.modernist.club/member-info/

I spotted a news story about this the other day, and it piqued my interest.

Is a private club founded to surround yourself with like minded people really that different than other private clubs that many consider(ed) deplorable because they discriminated on the basis of sex, race, or religion?

I'm sure they would not black ball someone due to race, gender, or sexual preference, but is it OK to say that someone isn't smart enough, or successful enough, to join - even though he/she is well able to afford it? Just because he/she isn't "modern enough", whatever that means.

Isn't this just a different form of discrimination?

Edited to add, this is a strictly social club, unlike professional, union, etc clubs which limit members due to occupation.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. drizgirl

drizgirl Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be a Club 33 thread until I saw which forum it was in! :joyfull:

Princess Leia, Nemo14 and Angel Ariel like this.
  3. Nemo14

Nemo14 Well-Known Member

I can't answer that because you're not smart enough :p

4. The Mom

The Mom Original Poster Moderator Premium Member

"God's gonna get ya for that." We are both of an age to recognize that quote. ;)

Nemo14 likes this.
  5. Angel Ariel

Angel Ariel Well-Known Member

I had the same thought!

6. Quinnmac000

Quinnmac000 Well-Known Member

I think there is a difference between a social clubs when it comes to success/intelligence even if someone can afford to pay the membership than clubs based on sex, race, etc. Earned Success is more so based on your personal efforts to be successful. Intelligence is something we all have some capacity for just it differs from person to person. Sex, Race, etc are factors that people cannot "change", therefore I think discrimination in that is quite unfair but at the same time what is the purpose of the club. If the club was for African American women to state their experiences in facing adversity in a positive manner, I would totally get why it would be exclusive as a safe space. At the same time, I would hope they would allow other people in to understand where they are coming for if they are interested as long as they understand that they themselves may not fit in nor agree with the majority of the opinions. With that, they need to remain respectful of the group by not providing unsolicited commentary.

In this instance, there is a huge difference between inherited success/earned success. People who inherited their success from parents may not have worked hard but were given circumstances that allowed them to succeed rather than actually putting in the work to obtain so there would be a huge difference in opinion from someone who was given everything than someone who had to work for everything they own.

7. The Mom

The Mom Original Poster Moderator Premium Member

If you go by the photos, wearing black/white/grey is a requirement. ;)

Nemo14 likes this.
  8. KBLovesDisney

KBLovesDisney Well-Known Member