Princesses' makeup question...

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
I'm a makeup junkie. If there are any friends of princesses here, can you give insight to what makeup (specifically what foundation) they use?

I'm amazed that on a 90-degree humid day, they aren't shiny and sweaty. Not 1 bead of sweat while the rest of us are standing there a hot mess.

Is it airbrushed foundation, theatre brand or a long wear premium line like Smashbox or MAC?

I've done theatre makeup and have used Mehron barrier spray first then a stage foundation makeup like Ben Nye, banana powder and a finishing spray sealer. Is this the secret or am I missing something?

Any suggestions from friends of Princesses are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
... And I'm sure someone will say pixie dust... So let's take that off the table right now - that stuff is illegal in my state. ;)

I will say that my Mehron Barrier Spray is a lifesaver in the summer but not as good as what the princesses use to hold up their makeup in unbearably hot/humid conditions - or maybe they are using it and I'm doing something wrong?

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Anyone....anyone? Bueller???
Well, if there are any friends of friends of WDW princesses, please send them here to help me out before the summer when I will REALLY need this question answered! I hate summer makeup melt.

NiarrNDisney

Hi Makeup Artist/Esthetician here: I'm pretty sure the face characters all use Ben Nye and or Kryolan Cosmetics. All of which are used by actors on stage due to its ability to stand up to the bright lights, in the heat and humidity.

As for what is keeping their products on extra long and matte its either

Ben Nye - Liquid Set to apply the products and then they spray on *Finishing Spray which sets the product for up to 12 hours.

Kryolan - Has Fixing spray and Ultra Setting Spray which are used the same way

Other products that are like these but less harsh (note: I would not use either of these product lines priming and setting products on a daily basis)

e.l.f Cosmetics - Makeup Mist & Set spray

*Model in a Bottle- Original or Sensitive Setting Spray

NYX - Matte Finish Setting Spray

*Reviva Labs - Rosewater Facial Spray

Urban Decay - All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray

Also don't forget to start with a great base by using your favorite moisturizer and primer

*Favorite

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Thank you so very much! ^^^
I have the Mehron barrier spray and Ben Nye final deal I use only in summer or special occasions (weddings) or if we are going out with friends for the night and I don't want to worry about touch ups. I use Smashbox as my overall pre-foundation primer and their eyelid primer I cannot live without - game changer for how well eyeshadow looks, goes on and stays on!

I will look into those other products but Ben Nye foundation for everyday is a bit much on the skin. I'm amazed their skin doesn't break out from those products of they use them daily. Thanks again for the leads on daily use products!!! :)

NiarrNDisney

All those I know are using Kryolan. And some ridiculous cleansers.

What are the brand of their cleansers?

One I am really into right now is Bioderma Crealine H2O which has to be the best makeup remover with the added benefits of not drying out or causing breakouts due to clogging oils and other additives. Feel free to pass this info on to your friends! I promise they will be glad to know about it after the first use. Note it is hard to find in the US for cheap though the bottles are quite large and will last awhile. The product line is French and can be found at any pharmacy in France for about 10 Euros, so if you/they happen to have some friends over the Atlantic maybe they can send it in bulk!

Their poor skin!
Some of that lipstick has to be MAC

I doubt it! With the amount they are using it would be expensive. More than likely all of the products the CM actors are using are supplied by the Mouse and due to contracts and large orders to get better deals I am certain they are also Ben Nye or Kryolan cream or matte finish lip colors .

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Oh wow, I understand continuity but everyone skin tone is different. If that color worked better, and was true to the character, it should've been a non-issue. Talk about micromanaging! Yikes.

NiarrNDisney

Oh wow, I understand continuity but everyone skin tone is different. If that color worked better, and was true to the character, it should've been a non-issue. Talk about micromanaging! Yikes.
Honestly it's really all about the fact that the Mouse owns the character and lots of time and work went into the live character development. The products the actors use are supplied to them therefore by contract the actor is responsible to continue using the products and techniques created by the hair and makeup art team. Its just how our business works.

CMiller1031

@ItlngrlBella not only do I have the same question about the makeup, but the costumes, I mean I know that the non-face characters endure a special kind of misery in the summer, but even someone like Alice must be hot with the layers and tights, etc.

NiarrNDisney

@ItlngrlBella not only do I have the same question about the makeup, but the costumes, I mean I know that the non-face characters endure a special kind of misery in the summer, but even someone like Alice must be hot with the layers and tights, etc.

I have been told that the cooling vests that were created to keep the LMA's stunt drivers cool have now also been supplied to many of the characters wearing the large costumes. As for the "face" characters like the aforementioned Alice character; I'm pretty sure they just have to brave it like the rest of us. However all of the characters are only out and about for short periods of time whether its a M&G or a Parade so I'm betting it isn't too unbearable. I can think of worse things to do to make a pay check!

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
^^^ best answer I'm guessing so far about how the female face character keep their makeup fresh in that heat. 30 minutes is probably the limit before it starts to melt off and is a major factor! It makes the most sense.

For a recent wedding I was i, I first tried Mehron Barrier Spray on clean skin, and then Netrogena Matte Primer (with rice protein), followed by Estée Lauder Double Matte Foundation (then my contour set and blush), Ben Nye banana powder and Ben Nye Final Seal - I only had to retouch my makeup for lipstick. Nothing melted, sweated no oil came through to make my face shiny.

It made it through pre church pics through the reception and even when we went out to breakfast at 4am. Granted it wasn't Florida in July, but it was hot in the reception and everything stayed put!

Last edited:

Bonjour1989

A friend just forwarded this topic to me I guess while she was browsing but since I know I would want to know the answers, pixie dust and guessing are both terrible answers to anything you really want to know! Most people like to keep crazy secrets and hold on to things but IMO that's silly as all get out with this..it's girl to girl makeup advice, not magic ruining good lord. Especially for performers like myself who have since held many other performance jobs, as a performer or MUA I'd want to know for help with work! Sooooo..

Ben Nye Final Seal is used to set makeup, foundations provided are Ben Nye cream foundations. You do not HAVE to use the Ben Nye foundation. Foundation and mascara are the two things you can use your own brands of BUT cosmetology must also approve of it being full enough coverage and the right color. Characters like Elsa they're much more specific with foundations because of the light color. Characters like Belle and Ariel and Cindy etc you just match your skin tone with. You are assigned a makeup kit for each character you do and you do your own makeup daily after being trained and being observed and approved replicating it from the face chart/instruction. You are provided: Ben Nye eyeshadows in the individual characters colors, the lipstick and lip
Iiner in the specific color and an eyeliner and eyebrow pencil for that character, and blush! Blush, eyeshadow, lipstick and lip liner are verbatim you cannot use another brand/comparable color. They have to be exact or you're in trouble for the day. Their logic is continuity and the fact that they cannot be sure of how your makeup from home will photograph. Foundation and mascara are your own choosing, Ben Nye is provided if you do want to use it (I started with it but quickly switched to MAC with SPF for Epcot out door meets and RCMA creme foundation for inside sets and every girl always wanted to know what I was wearing with RCMA , it's the best!) eyelashes are optional for all princesses but characters like the evil queen have to wear provided ones. Contacts are also provided for eye color change and they're all the same streamlined brand and color. If you have any other makeup questions LMK ! Much love and I hope this helped!

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
A friend just forwarded this topic to me I guess while she was browsing but since I know I would want to know the answers, pixie dust and guessing are both terrible answers to anything you really want to know! Most people like to keep crazy secrets and hold on to things but IMO that's silly as all get out with this..it's girl to girl makeup advice, not magic ruining good lord. Especially for performers like myself who have since held many other performance jobs, as a performer or MUA I'd want to know for help with work! Sooooo..

Ben Nye Final Seal is used to set makeup, foundations provided are Ben Nye cream foundations. You do not HAVE to use the Ben Nye foundation. Foundation and mascara are the two things you can use your own brands of BUT cosmetology must also approve of it being full enough coverage and the right color. Characters like Elsa they're much more specific with foundations because of the light color. Characters like Belle and Ariel and Cindy etc you just match your skin tone with. You are assigned a makeup kit for each character you do and you do your own makeup daily after being trained and being observed and approved replicating it from the face chart/instruction. You are provided: Ben Nye eyeshadows in the individual characters colors, the lipstick and lip
Iiner in the specific color and an eyeliner and eyebrow pencil for that character, and blush! Blush, eyeshadow, lipstick and lip liner are verbatim you cannot use another brand/comparable color. They have to be exact or you're in trouble for the day. Their logic is continuity and the fact that they cannot be sure of how your makeup from home will photograph. Foundation and mascara are your own choosing, Ben Nye is provided if you do want to use it (I started with it but quickly switched to MAC with SPF for Epcot out door meets and RCMA creme foundation for inside sets and every girl always wanted to know what I was wearing with RCMA , it's the best!) eyelashes are optional for all princesses but characters like the evil queen have to wear provided ones. Contacts are also provided for eye color change and they're all the same streamlined brand and color. If you have any other makeup questions LMK ! Much love and I hope this helped!

Wow... Thanks so much!!! I knew there had to be at least either Mehron Barrier spray or Ben Nye Final Seal!

Thanks for the info on RCMA! We have 2 weddings this summer and I may try it and hope it can hold up well in the heat.

Bonjour1989

Wow... Thanks so much!!! I knew there had to be at least either Mehron Barrier spray or Ben Nye Final Seal!

Thanks for the info on RCMA! We have 2 weddings this summer and I may try it and hope it can hold up well in the heat.

I always did RCMA color process creme foundation (it's FIFTY percent pigment , mac's most full coverage foundation is only 20% pigment, RCMA is so clean, stripped down, pure professional foundation pigment and I always sprayed (as we were instructed to do) Final seal all over the face prior to applying foundation and then again all over after I had set with powder! It photographs beautifully and I've never had so many girls ask me on set and off what I had done with my skin so much in my life! Wayne Goss MUA has a few videos about RCMA and this foundation on YouTube! Check that one out as a basic intro to it!! And no problem I hope all goes well!!!!! :)

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
^^^ this is GOLD! Thank you!
Last time we were at WDW it was 95 degrees with full humidity and while my makeup was melting off I was taking my toddler to see Snow White... I was dying to ask ("how do you keep your makeup so perfect?!") but I didn't want to ruin it for the other littles around me and figured she wouldn't be able to answer me.

Barrier spray and final seal are standard for me on hot summer days - I can't stand makeup melting off. I cannot wait to try RCMA now. Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

The Hatbox Ghost

You might also consider trying PPI's Blue Marble Sealer. It's used on Broadway and by makeup artists for major movie productions. I do special effects work and beauty and I find it works far better than Ben Nye's Final Seal to keep makeup looking just-applied ALL DAY until it is removed. And it doesn't irritate skin! Wish I had discovered it years ago before wasting so much money on others like Skindandavia, Kat Von Di and Ben Nye. You can find it at any place that sells theatrical makeup like Namies or Camera Ready Cosmetics. Check it out I think you would be impressed.

The Hatbox Ghost

Oh and RCMA is great but if your skin leans towards the combo/oily side I would recommend looking into Cinema Secrets cream foundation/concealers. It's a pro brand as well with great pigmentation and stays put in the heat. This followed by a dusting of Kryolan's Anti-Shine no color powder and a few sprays of Blue Marble Sealer, and you're ready for a fuss free day at the parks in July!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom