Princess Run Advice/Help

WendiGuido

Original Poster
Good Afternoon!

I'm brand new to the forums. I was hoping to find answers to my questions but it turns out that I'm not very good at searching the forums. I'll be running my first Glass Slipper Challenge this February. Any and all help is most appreciated.

• How much time to do I need to factor into my 10k and half marathon runs (for photos (alone) and with characters)?
  • I've read that the bus lines returning to the hotels are long, if I finish the half in 3:30, how long should I expect it to take me to return to my room?
  • How long should I expect to be at the expo? I'm not buying the running shoes, is 3 hours enough time to get my packet and make it through the expo if I'm planning on going Thursday (probably arriving between 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.)
  • I'm planning on running in short sleeves, should I do a gear check for my jacket or are those lines too crazy?
Thank you!

dreamfinder

How much time to do I need to factor into my 10k and half marathon runs (for photos (alone) and with characters)?

That's a tough one to answer. Really depends on what characters you would want to stop for, and what your estimated pace would be. On World Drive, shortly before the MK toll plaza, you can get in line for characters on your way to the MK, but then see how long the line is again on your way out of the MK. I've stopped for a picture with about 4-5 people in line on my way in, but seen 40-50 in line on my way out. Figure even if they are only taking 20 seconds per person, that line would still easily take 10-15 minutes. Admittedly there were probably several groups in that line, so it wouldn't have been quite that long, but still give you an idea of the ranges. I'd suggest looking over race reports from past races to get an idea as to what characters you might see. Some years there have been lists available at the expo, used to be at MarathonFoto, no idea if Photopass will do anything similar. Then prioritize based on the character and what your pace is. For instance, I've taken a 5 minute wait to see Oogie Boogie, but wouldn't wait more than 30 seconds or so for Stitch.

runDisney suggests shooting for at least a 15min/mile pace to allow time for characters, I'd suggest shooting for 13/14 if you can as a much more realistic pace based on the waits I've seen.

've read that the bus lines returning to the hotels are long, if I finish the half in 3:30, how long should I expect it to take me to return to my room?

Once again, tough to answer. They usually are pretty good with trying to get people out of there as soon as possible. I think that All Stars usually has a pretty long line might take 4-5 buses to clear out, but most of the others are usually only a bus or two. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes or so to be on a moving bus. But once on the bus, it can still take another 10 minutes just to get out of the Epcot area and on the road. 45 minutes should be on the safe side, maybe some other people can chime in with other guesses.

How long should I expect to be at the expo? I'm not buying the running shoes, is 3 hours enough time to get my packet and make it through the expo if I'm planning on going Thursday (probably arriving between 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.)

Depends on when you go and what you want to see at the expo. If you just want packet pick up, you should be able to be in and out in 30 minutes or so, unless there is a long line waiting to get in. If you want to look at 5 booths selling sparkly skirts, and 4 selling different energy bars, and possibly buying race merchandise, then it could take a few hours. But 3 hours should be more than enough unless you plan to do some serious shopping.

I'm planning on running in short sleeves, should I do a gear check for my jacket or are those lines too crazy?

I've never found the lines to be ridiculous. Just don't wait until the absolute last minute before going to gear check. The pick up is pretty spaced out naturally from the runners, but drop off can get hectic if you wait until everyone else goes.

However, gear check should really be looked at as storage for stuff for post race. You will most likely be leaving the bag check area at least 30 minutes before the race starts, and then depending on your corral, you may not start moving for another 45-60 minutes after the first runners go. So you might be without your jacket for 60-90 minutes. If you are worried about being cold you would most likely want to either bring throwaway clothes, or look into sleeves. Throwaway clothes are pretty much any piece of clothing you would wear, and then toss into the donate bins just before you go. Old hoody, race shirt from a race you don't care about, etc. Sleeves you could start off wearing during the race, and then remove and carry/tie around belt/stuff into wasteband etc mid race when it warms up.

Edit: Replaced throwaway for the word that apparently gets bleeped out here

Last edited:

Texas84

Good Afternoon!

I'm brand new to the forums. I was hoping to find answers to my questions but it turns out that I'm not very good at searching the forums. I'll be running my first Glass Slipper Challenge this February. Any and all help is most appreciated.

• How much time to do I need to factor into my 10k and half marathon runs (for photos (alone) and with characters)?
  • I've read that the bus lines returning to the hotels are long, if I finish the half in 3:30, how long should I expect it to take me to return to my room?
  • How long should I expect to be at the expo? I'm not buying the running shoes, is 3 hours enough time to get my packet and make it through the expo if I'm planning on going Thursday (probably arriving between 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.)
  • I'm planning on running in short sleeves, should I do a gear check for my jacket or are those lines too crazy?
Thank you!

My experience:

The long lines for buses and gear check do happen but they are an anomaly. Stuff happens. 1 or 2 resort lines might get long for a short period. Gear check really doesn't get long lines but checking bags at the security checkpoint has backed up. Again, doesn't happen all the time. Even security is for the most part is efficient.

Figure 30 minutes for the bus ride and wait minimum and an hour for registration with little no shopping. Sometimes the registration traffic can get bad.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I would wear a light jacket... something you will feel comfortable tied around your waist. The first Princess I did was the frozen 5k in 2014. Temperature at start time was maybe 30-31 degrees, which is atypical for Orlando at that time of the year. And depending on your corral placement, you may be waiting 30 minutes or more to start. You also need to account for travel time to starting point (usually Epcot), security, finding your corral, potty break, etc.

With regards to packet pickup, it's slammed the first day for the first hour or so. But allowing 3 total hours is plenty of time.

Other than maybe a "I finished (and didn't die ;) ) t shirt", I don't need anymore merchandise since I preordered pins, etc., at registration.

I'm running the Glass Slipper also, along with the 5k (what's another 3.1 miles :D ) , so will see you there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom