Princess Half Marathon timing

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Hey everyone!
I'm really excited to be running my first run Disney event next year - the 2015 Princess Half Marathon! I just have a question about timing. I was really looking forward to being able to stop and get pictures taken but I am concerned about the time it takes to stop and get pictures with the 16 minute mile pacing requirement. I am going to be running with my mom and 2 sisters. My mom, my one sister and myself all have recent half marathon times so could be in an earlier corral but my other sister hasn't run a half in a few years and is also running for a charity putting her in a later (if not last) corral and we were all planning on running together. I know that we could all run under 13 minute miles (probably more like 11.5-12) but I heard that being so late in the corrals slows you down because of crowds. Has anyone been in later corrals and still had time to stop and take pictures without the threat of getting swept up?

dreamfinder

I don't believe that simply running for a charity puts you in the later corrals. She should still be seeded by her expected finish time. Seeing as how they will accept proof of time up to Dec 1, 2014, there is sufficient time for her to train and run a race prior to that. Assuming she starts training now..... I would suggest that she do a race for a qualifying time, as submitting a 15:45 pace race could in theory bump you up a corral or two ahead of anyone with no times. And I think that using last years corral breakdown, submitting a 3:15 or better put you in corral J, anyone slower than that was seeded from L through P. So that 15 minute (or better) qualifying pace time makes a huge difference. And perhaps someone else can correct me, but I believe they will still accept a 10k for seeding for a half marathon, which makes that goal of getting a race to use for proof of time even easier. (Anyone realistically training for a half should be able to do a 10k ~2 months prior)

The problem with the pictures becomes the lines for characters. Last year I think were at most maybe 5 people in line for Captain Jack & Barbosa and the pack of Princes (basically any Prince, along with Hercules/Tarzan/etc) when I stopped for a pic. Running back through by that area, the line was probably closer to 40-50 people. These work as a point of comparison as you pass them going towards MK at about mile 2 1/4 ish, but then see them again going away from MK at about mile 9 1/2. To give you a point of time reference, I was in with the other guys in Corral B, and I believe we saw the sweepers down by about mile 1 when I was hitting mile 11.

It's totally doable if you plan smartly. Starting as close to the front of the corral as possible, being judicious with your character choices, making sure everyone is ready to go before you go to the front of the line, etc. But I would strongly suggest trying to get a sub 15 min paced qualifying race submitted by Dec 1 to get better seeding. I'd worry more simply about having tons of people in line for the same character than the overall crowds on course slowing you down.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Oh thats great to hear I was definitely worried about it being super crowded and not being able to pass anyone. We should def be running more like 12 min miles or faster too so thats good to know!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom