Preparing for our first family Disney vacation

pricklepants

I am so excited! My last and only trip to Disney World was in 2003 as a teenager and now my husband and I are planning to take our two kids in October 2015. We plan on staying at the Art of Animation resort and driving (16 hour drive and we'll stop on the way there and back and stay the night somewhere), but I'm stuck when it comes down to deciding if we should purchase a dining plan.

My kids will be 9 and 5 when we go. My son (9) isn't too picky, but my daughter (5), is extremely picky and prefers to snack most of the time instead of eating what we would all refer to a meal. I guess I shouldn't say snack, more of just the finger-foods. lol.

Do you think it would be worth it to purchase the dining plan, or would you skip it?

CAPTAIN HOOK

Firstly, Welcome aboard.

Re The Dining Plan dilemma, based upon what you've written - I'd say skip it.

Browse the list of restaurants and quick serve venues which you're most likely to visit during your stay. From there, price what you'd actually eat (not what you'd like to eat, but what you'd actually order). Compare the total spend with what it would cost for 4 Dining Plans. Its a lot of work to do - but either way could save you $$$

Upvote 0

belledream

I would also say no to the dining plan based on your your circumstances. I think it'll be more economical and less stressful for your family to share snacks and desserts instead of expecting both children and adults to eat the value of the plan. If your daughter doesn't want her own entrée, then she can just eat off of your plate, or something like that.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Anytime someone asks about the dining plan, the only thing I can suggest is to run the numbers. Look at the menus online, get a rough idea of what you would spend on food. Then see how that compares to the cost of the dining plan making sure to only count what would be covered.

But based on what you are saying, I'd pass. It only makes sense as a general rule if you eat to the plan. And with a picky child that to me most likely means they won't be eating to the plan so it's probably not going to be worth it.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Wise decision. When our DS was younger and in his finicky stage we found the value of having the DP to be wasted. With the limited things he would want to eat and then mostly leave sitting on his plate, we wished we had gone another way. Wait until she is older and past that phase and will enjoy experimenting choosing new foods. Save your money and use it on something else that will add to your trip.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I would skip the dining plan in your case -- unless its entitlements match up exactly with your family's dining preferences -- not including things you wouldn't use and not leaving out anything else you'd want to purchase -- it is unlikely to save you any money. We've been with, and without, the DDP, and even going to the most expensive restaurants and ordering the most expensive things, we've never "saved" enough to justify the expense of the dining plan. While we ended up spending 10% or so less than we'd have paid out-of-pocket for the same items, those "same items" were far more food than we cared to eat or would otherwise have ordered! If we'd just ordered what we wanted, when we wanted, and paid OOP for the same restaurants, we'd have spent 15-20% less than we paid for the DDP.

Like your daughter, I enjoy cobbling together my meal from a combination of snacks and/or appetizers or a la carte items, and the DDP doesn't work well for that purpose. Also, the DDP would require your 9-year-old son to order off of the children's menu at every restaurant that offers it, and you may find that those meals aren't enough to satisfy him, in terms of portion size. (My 8-year-old found some of the portions to be pretty skimpy last time, and was typically gunning for a snack within minutes of finishing his meal.) Going DDP-free also gives you the option of splitting adult meals with, or between, the kids, as some of the adult portion sizes can be quite huge.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Picky kids often enjoy buffets. Many of the Disney character meals are buffets. Buffets are expensive. If you plan to do several buffets, the DDP may be a big cost saver. For what it's worth, we always get it.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your trip! If you do get the DDP, make sure to make dining reservations as soon as possible!

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

How exciting! Yeah, I am not a big fan of the dining plan either. I just like to buy what I want to buy without restrictions and I find I usually spend less than the dining plan. There is however the convenience of having it pre-paid though. But I do this by buying Disney gift cards ahead of time for the food.
You will really like Art of Animation too!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom