Preferred parking comes to Disney Springs from June 1

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thanks for the info, Steve! A very interesting quote from end of the main article:

"With the addition of preferred parking at Disney Springs, only the resort hotels remain as an additional parking revenue source, and speculation suggests that changes to parking at resorts is planned."

Adds fuel to the fire that has been burning around potential resort parking fees for a while now.

Slowjack

Questions: will all spots in those lots be pay-only? Or will some remain free?
Also: Grapefruit, as far as I can see, is less convenient than Orange or Lime decks for most visitors, or am I missing something? Is the idea that when those decks are getting full you can shell out some bucks and still park on this side of the street?

I really wish Disney would consider just making more of the stuff we love Disney for, and getting our money that way, instead of this "Master of the House" style of imagining new ways to extract money for the same things.

Kman101

I feel like they'll receive more backlash than expected if they push resort/parking fees.

At least the preferred parking option at Springs won't affect the parking garages and it's only 10 ...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I prefer the garage anyways - nice not walking to my car after sitting in the sun all day.

I know, right? Why offer Preferred Parking in the flat lots where your car is in the sun? I personally think it would be a better idea to offer Preferred Parking on the ground level of the garages, where it's in the shade at least. Oh well...

jt04

Thanks for the info, Steve! A very interesting quote from end of the main article:

"With the addition of preferred parking at Disney Springs, only the resort hotels remain as an additional parking revenue source, and speculation suggests that changes to parking at resorts is planned."

Adds fuel to the fire that has been burning around potential resort parking fees for a while now.

Seems like validated parking for those with dinner reservations would be offered. Can't really blame them for adding parking fees though. Easy revenue. If I was a resort guest I would rather have less competition for spaces and fewer random stragglers taking advantage of the system.

Kman101

Don't they have problems with parking filling to capacity in the garages anyway? Likely why they offered preferred in the lots. I don't think they can justify taking the first floor of the parking garage and making it preferred parking.

Figment82

I know, right? Why offer Preferred Parking in the flat lots where your car is in the sun? I personally think it would be a better idea to offer Preferred Parking on the ground level of the garages, where it's in the shade at least. Oh well...

Like at Legoland, where they have preferred parking under large awnings. As an added plus, there are solar panels on the roof to make them "green". I'm surprised Disney hasn't jumped on a similar idea.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Isnt Uni charging for parking for Citiwalk? I know I paid an extra ten for premier parking which was basically just a shorter walk.

RandySavage

I really wish Disney would consider just making more of the stuff we love Disney for, and getting our money that way, instead of this "Master of the House" style of imagining new ways to extract money for the same things.

Agreed. The classless nickel & diming leaves such a bad taste in the mouth that it has/will continue to keep our family away. I'd rather pay higher park admission/nightly hotel rates than deal with stadium pricing for food and fees/upcharges for every last, little thing.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Of course it is.

There will also be resort fees. There will be parking fees for resorts. If the Hilton Lake Buena Vista, the Bonnet Creek hotels, the Dolphin and Swan all charge for them - why would the Disney properties be any different?

Go stay on the Vegas strip at the Venetian, Bellagio, Wynn - they all do. It's the industry norm. Disney is just late to the party - and because they were late people thought it'd never happen. Now when it does they'll scream, shout and complain - but a short while after - they just pay and it becomes an accepted practice.

Look I don't like it any more than any one else here does. But to say no one saw this coming - is just ridiculous. Just accept it and move on.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Of course it is.

There will also be resort fees. There will be parking fees for resorts. If the Hilton Lake Buena Vista, the Bonnet Creek hotels, the Dolphin and Swan all charge for them - why would the Disney properties be any different?

Go stay on the Vegas strip at the Venetian, Bellagio, Wynn - they all do. It's the industry norm. Disney is just late to the party - and because they were late people thought it'd never happen. Now when it does they'll scream, shout and complain - but a short while after - they just pay and it becomes an accepted practice.

Look I don't like it any more than any one else here does. But to say no one saw this coming - is just ridiculous. Just accept it and move on.

So race to the bottom is a good business strategy for customer retention in your mind?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
So race to the bottom is a good business strategy for customer retention in your mind?

So Dolphin, Swann, Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek - all at the bottom? Guess no-one ever rebooks those properties. They've been doing this for years.

Wynn, Venetian, Palazzo, - yeah rock bottom for them too?. So based on your retention statement - are you saying that their entire models are based around acquisition and no-one is rebooking those properties either.

The world is moving on. I would suggest you do the same. Or, of course, alternately, you can hang around these boards and just complain every time Disney charges for something others have been doing for a decade.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So Dolphin, Swann, Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek - all at the bottom? Guess no-one ever rebooks those properties. They've been doing this for years.

The point was about your justification- not the action itself.

If you justify things based just on what ithers do... your destined to just follow and never lead

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The point was about your justification- not the action itself.

If you justify things based just on what ithers do... your destined to just follow and never lead

The point is, the industry is a copycat industry. When a model works, most follow. There was a time that someone at an airline said "hey, maybe we should start charging for bags"....soon that changed to we should start charging for early boarding...then WiFi, then specific seats....most airlines followed.

My justification (if you want to call it that - And for the record I'm not thrilled about it) - is - It was just a matter of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom