Pre-Trip Upgrade from Poly to Grand Floridian

jlsHouston

I have always loved visiting the GF for meals and shopping and lobby time...but never had too much of an urge to really put the bucks out to stay on property. POLY was always my MK resort choice and have been fortunate to stay there twice. HOWEVER, this past visit when we moved over to the POLY for our last 5 days, we visited GF several times and my WOW factor really elevated.. GF is beautifully decorated and bright and airy and totally has a casual upscale plantation feel to me. The POOLS are wonderful. The dining is wonderful. I am sure the rooms are wonderful too. The shops are great, the lobby is roomy and the music in the evening is wonderful...gosh I wish I could be as lucky as you:):inlove:

bluejasmine

The reason its overbooked is b/c they are putting walls up around Tahiti LH (Sept 7) and possibly Rapa Nue so its taking two of the LH (one of the biggest) out of commission. They are starting DVC.. We will be in Hawaii LH 8-15th of Sept and were told by CL CMs that we will be fine and the construction wont bother us on our side of the resort.. I LOVE both the Poly and GF so it would be hard if I got that call but DH says nope he wants the Poly!

tikiman

Well speculation is that Tahiti and maybe Rapa Nui will be part of the proposed work next month but all the information I saw was that walls for DVC work would go up the beginning of September (9/7) and since Tahiti has not been renovated and we are seeing test patterns in Rapa Nui I was speculating that Tahiti would close if they closed the beach for work on the bungalows.

Today I learned that the Polynesian was officially told that room views will be affected by construction starting next month and that some room view categories will change and other rooms will be closed. There is no mention of buildings involved so we can only speculate until we see what starts to happen next month.

As for the overbooking I am guessing that either that is all that Disney Travel is being told the reason was. I myself don’t believe it for a second. The worst part is they are still telling guests that no construction is being planned and I know that this is not the truth.

rkelly42

I contacted my agent and wdw about possible construction in or around Tahiti. We have reservations for the first week of November there and I am a little concerned. The answer I received by both parties was that Tahiti was not going to be affected during our stay. Obviously I am very skeptical and concerned.

tikiman

I contacted my agent and wdw about possible construction in or around Tahiti. We have reservations for the first week of November there and I am a little concerned. The answer I received by both parties was that Tahiti was not going to be affected during our stay. Obviously I am very skeptical and concerned.

Travel agents have not been contacted by Disney about any of the internal correspondence so they are just telling you what they know.

rkelly42

I do not doubt the agent does not know anymore than myself about the situation, but I'm starting to wonder if I should change hotels.

DisneyDebNJ

We will be at the Poly beginning of November, and personally, if they asked me to move to the GF, I would have to respectfully decline. IF I had to move, I'd probably ask for Wilderness Lodge, where we were suppose to stay this upcoming trip.

Pluto fan girl

congrats! I would love to stay at either, but have always wanted to stay at GF since I first saw it. Have been going since grand opening year, (I was 1 - but hey - it counts - right!) Went to Poly the first time in 2010 for dinner and we fell in love with it too! Both are on our list...one day!

I am getting a little concerned with crowds - this is our 4th time for a september trip - last one was in 2011, and we always thought it was slow. Brother in law tried to book at POR with us and had to go to CS because they were booked up!?? yikes.

DVC4bestvacations

While planning or WDW vacations in the passed I've found the GF less expensive than the poly. Personally we have stayed at the poly and would rather stay at any other hotel but the poly.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We will be at the Poly beginning of November, and personally, if they asked me to move to the GF, I would have to respectfully decline. IF I had to move, I'd probably ask for Wilderness Lodge, where we were suppose to stay this upcoming trip.
Why the switch Deb? Thought y'all were WL bound!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Tip: If you stay on the 3rd floor of Tokelau, it is very convenient to walk to the outdoor stairwell on the beach side and watch Wishes. It's a great view and you don't have to deal with the crowds on the beach.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom