Trip Report Pre-gaming for Disney World at Disneyland

Hello there, welcome to my new trip report, a short weekend trip to Disneyland!!!

Who: Me - Patrick, and my wife, Cara. You may remember my previous trip reports from last year. If not you can find links to those in my signature. We are both 32 and just moved from New York City to Detroit.

When: Cara went to California for work on Tuesday, August 18th. I flew in Thursday the 20th, and we stayed until Sunday the 23rd.

Where: Sadly we did not stay at a Disneyland resort, but chose the Hotel Indigo, which was very nice, half the price, and a short 15 minute walk from the parks!

Day 1 - You Clearly Think I Can't Drive
So after working until 2 pm that day, I hopped in the car and drove to Detroit Metro Airport for my flight to LAX. The flight was uneventful, and they even had Mulan available for my viewing pleasure. Cara, picked me up at LAX, and before heading to Anaheim we decided to go to West Hollywood for Dinner at a place called Animal. It was very good, small plates all shareable, I didn't take pictures because they weren't Disney related, and the place isn't even very close to DL. During the drive to the restaurant, we got in a small fight while trying to park, about driving... Anyway after dinner it was my turn to drive, and we were on our way to Anaheim. We arrived safely, tired, and eager to see Disneyland the next day.

Day 2 - I Love New Orleans Square
IMG_4551_zps8bqhvilq.jpg
I was very eager to wake up and get to Disneyland for rope drop, but this was not to be. Cara, had a work call at 9 and we had to wait for that to end before we could go. About 10 we were ready to head to the parks. We had delay number two when our tickets wouldn't load on our phones, so we had to get in line at the box office, which didn't move fast. We got our tickets and were walking through the gates!​

IMG_4552_zpspkczilr9.jpg

IMG_4553_zpsinjnoc10.jpg

IMG_4555_zpslmvgsjv4.jpg

My first thought, wow the castle is so small! Still cool just small. Then I noticed all the traffic down Main St USA, maybe I am crazy but I really don't ever remember seeing the cars and horse drawn carriages in Disney World. We wanted to go on Star Tours first, because it is a tradition, but the park was quite busy, so we just grabbed a fastpass, and walked around for a little while.

IMG_4556_zpsxjxk9xnt.jpg

IMG_4557_zpsavclovxz.jpg

IMG_4559_zpsn5ygstnj.jpg

We finally decided to go on one of our must dos for this trip, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

PMC0849

Original Poster
Day 2 Part 2
Sorry had to leave abruptly in the middle of writing yesterday. Anyway since there was no Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disney World anymore we had it high up on our list of things to do, so we hopped in line.

IMG_4560_zpsckwykxmz.jpg

IMG_4561_zpsaatd2o4d.jpg

IMG_4562_zpsj770m2dr.jpg

IMG_4563_zpssnibtrob.jpg

This was an interesting ride, very campy. It almost feels like a carnival ride, rather than a Disney ride. We overall enjoyed the campiness of the ride, and thought the ending was bizarre (Spoiler: you die and go to hell), my favorite part was driving through the bar, and the bartender looked a lot like the guy from the arcade game "Tapper". After this we headed over to Snow Whites Scary Adventure's, with one quick stop.

IMG_4564_zps1mazda8b.jpg

Always have to try this.
IMG_4566_zpsp9zf28bp.jpg

SWSA reminded me a lot of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, mostly just because the story the animatronics tell the same story. We had a little time before our Star Tours Fastpass, so we stopped by the Finding Nemo Submarine Adventure, yet another ride that WDW lost (sort of). The wait was about 30 minutes, but seemed to keep moving, we met a nice woman visiting from San Diego with her two sons. She used to work for Lucasfilm and was telling us about that, talk about a dream job.

IMG_4570_zpszcs3cil5.jpg

IMG_4567_zps6eyrt5oj.jpg

IMG_4568_zpsk6vv8fj3.jpg

IMG_4569_zps8ayoisdo.jpg

I liked this ride a lot, it was like a much better version of the Nemo ride at Epcot, it had a good balance of the old and the new, and was just a very well put together ride. I wish a version of it still existed in WDW, we wanted to get back on this during our trip but never got the chance, it was a very busy weekend at Disneyland. We had 3 new rides done, and it was time for our Fastpass to Star Tours! I enjoy Star Tours quite a bit, especially since I love the original trilogy, well 2 of 3 of those movies, the third is still good, I just don't love it. Anyway I always seem to get the stupid ride where you go underwater with the gunguns, I hate this one, because that is the worst thing in all the Star Wars movies, luckily we did not get this trip. Instead we got one I had never seen, we went to the wookie planet, followed by a brief space battle before landing on Coruscant.

IMG_4571_zps2uik9sx4.jpg

After Star Tours we wanted to grab a pair of Fastpasses for Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. FPs in hand we walked over to Pirates! Cara instantly fell in love with the New Orleans Square area, she loves New Orleans, and I had a hunch she would love this area.

IMG_4573_zpsym283qal.jpg

IMG_4579_zps06qk4jzh.jpg

Okay, so Disneyland Pirates is so much better than WDW, I am a little jealous to be honest. I still love WDW Pirates, but DL just is the superior version, it is longer by several minutes, and WDW just feels like the abridged version. DL does not have the mermaids present at all, and they still have Davey Jones instead of Blackbeard on the waterfall, of course that is like 3-4 minutes into the ride at DL instead of right off that bat. There is a New Orleans themed restaurant the Pirates sails past too. I believe it is called Blue Bayou, we wanted to try it, but we couldn't get in, shucks. Well that is all for the moment, I will be back to finish up day one soon.

fractal

I also hate the underwater gunguns SW clip. DL's Pirates of the Caribbean is the best dark ride I've been on; love those caves and the part in the bayou. Looking forward to more!

PMC0849

Original Poster
I also hate the underwater gunguns SW clip. DL's Pirates of the Caribbean is the best dark ride I've been on; love those caves and the part in the bayou. Looking forward to more!

I think I have to agree with you about DL's Pirates, it is just too good. I hope when the new movies come out the gunguns go away.

more_zpsmtenqxsd.gif

MORE TRIP REPORT!!!

bryanYES.gif

PMC0849

Original Poster
Day 2 - Part 3
Okay, so after we road Pirates we wanted to get some food, Blue Bayou was only accepting reservations so we decided to go for a quick service place. We ended up at French market restaurant, which was okay, they did have live music which was cool.

2015-08-21 14.23.43.jpg

French Dip
2015-08-21 14.23.47.jpg

Shrimp Roll
I had the French Dip, which was okay, Cara wanted the jambalaya but they were out, so she had a Shrimp roll which she said was good but had too much mayonnaise on it. After we finished eaten we hopped in line for the Haunted Mansion.

IMG_4581_zpsxhgq2tzr.jpg

I could not get a good picture of the exterior of the Haunted Mansion
IMG_4582_zpss4fow5im.jpg

Almost all of the differences between this HM and the WDW version were in the exterior. First off it just looks like a regular mansion, no clue it was haunted, and the line queue is much less interactive. There were a few minor differences in the ride itself, there was an animatronic here of some guy holding a box and his head would disappear and reappear in the box, and the hitchhiking ghosts were the old version where they just sit in the doom buggy with you, no shenanigans. Next up we had out FPs for Indiana Jones! We got very close to getting on the ride, the stairs right before you get in the jeeps to be exact and there was a breakdown in the ride, I guess, they never told us anything they just didn't let anybody on, nor did they tell people to exit the line. 15-20 minutes later the ride came back online. I didn't get any pictures here, but I loved this ride, I know it is the same as "Dinosaur", but this is so much better, and I think it is because I much prefer the "Indiana Jones" movies to "Dinosaur". After Indy we decided we would make our way to California Adventure.

IMG_4585_zpsywjdossq.jpg

We didn't really know where we were going, but we walked past Cars land, radiator springs racers had a huge line and they were out of FPs for the day, so we said we would check it the next day. We got to Paradise Pier and saw California Screaming had almost no wait.

IMG_4586_zps1bi4ux51.jpg

IMG_4587_zpsvigygmui.jpg

California Screaming was a fun roller coaster, I don't know why it doesn't ever seem to have a long wait. It doesn't have the same theming as the other Disney coasters, but it was still fun. We decided we needed a small break and were going to head back to the hotel for a rest. Of course we got distracted along the were.

IMG_4591_zpsyhronywf.jpg

IMG_4593_zpsm9zahstl.jpg

IMG_4598_zpskv4qd6vy.jpg

After our brief run in with some army men, a quick ride on the Little Mermaid, and meeting a Mickey who doesn't realize he shouldn't wear a belt with suspenders. We were finally ready to leave CA, but than...

IMG_4603_zpsgljomsmm.jpg

We thought this was just the end of a parade, but a CM informed us it was just the pre-show and the real thing would be starting soon. She insisted we stay and see it if we hadn't because, in her opinion, it was the best Disney Parade. So we stayed.

IMG_4608_zpsy1eipygz.jpg

IMG_4609_zps2oyiexwu.jpg

IMG_4611_zps8xrqxw8h.jpg

IMG_4612_zpsoqvmtqlk.jpg

IMG_4614_zps2qyhtqdb.jpg

IMG_4620_zps02ppt3vs.jpg

IMG_4621_zpsbausk5hi.jpg

IMG_4623_zpstz0zmtu6.jpg

IMG_4626_zpsspppavo1.jpg

I thought it was a cute parade, I liked to see Pixar represented; HOWEVER!! no Wall-e, no Ratatouille, no Up??? This is not acceptable if you ask me. The parade as a whole felt a tad dated, with the exception of the "Inside/out" pre-show. Okay, we finally took the walk back to the hotel to rest for a little while. Stay tuned for In-N-Out burger, fireworks, and more!!

pirategal

thanks for sharing! I've only been to Disneyland once, a very long time ago. No memory of it, but I'd love to get back some day. Love seeing the pictures!

PMC0849

Original Poster
thanks for sharing! I've only been to Disneyland once, a very long time ago. No memory of it, but I'd love to get back some day. Love seeing the pictures!

You are welcome. This was our first time to Disneyland, it has a very different feel, at least I think so. I remember once I think it was 2000, I was in Anaheim for a water polo tournament, and we drove right past the construction for California Adventure several times, that was the closest I had ever been. Glad you are liking the pictures.

That parade looks so cute! But seriously, no Up?! That's insane. That movie would make a brilliant float.

It was a cute parade, but man those exclusions really disappointed me. The last float was cars, I think it was just Lightning and Mater driving down talking. I don't remember, I have not seen Cars 1, only Cars 2 which was awful.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Here is the now retired Ratatouille float from California Adventure's Pixar Play parade. It was the most detailed float, but was cut due to height restrictions on the re routed parade route...

Up had a pre parade for a while too.

PMC0849

Original Poster
Here is the now retired Ratatouille float from California Adventure's Pixar Play parade. It was the most detailed float, but was cut due to height restrictions on the re routed parade route...

Up had a pre parade for a while too.

Cool, that looks like a fun float. No love for Wall-E?

PMC0849

Original Poster
Day 2 - Part 4
We returned to our hotel and rested for a little bit. After a couple of hours we got in our car and headed to a near by In-N-Out burger, the famous west coast burger chain.

2015-08-21%2019.28.52_zpse0fsmxoo.jpg

I had a double cheeseburger with fires, Cara had a single animal style. I think animal style was the way to go, I can't remember the details of how they were different, but I know animal style had onions. Neither of us were crazy about the fries, but on the way out we discovered they had fries animal style too, D'OH! Overall we both really liked In-N-Out burger, however, Shake Shack is still better. We returned the car to the hotel and headed back to Disneyland.

2015-08-21%2022.47.57_zpshsryygox.jpg

We headed over to the Matterhorn, which was one of the things on the top of our to do list. We both really like this ride, I guess the Yeti scared Cara at one point, since she wasn't expecting it. I couldn't help but thinking of our own disfunctional Yeti in WDW, hopefully we get him back some day...
We went into Fantasyland next, and rode the Pinnochio dark ride, which wasn't very memorable. Afterwards we wanted to get a spot for the fireworks, I thought we needed to get back to the castle area, but CM told us we can see them pretty well from in front of pirates, which we were much closer to.

2015-08-21%2021.32.45_zpslxnlys56.jpg

2015-08-21%2021.32.49_zps0as8bqge.jpg

It was a good fireworks show, we didn't have the best spot, several of the blasts were obstructed by trees. We left the fireworks about 2 minutes early and got right in line for pirates. The line was almost entirely abandoned when we got in, once the fireworks ended everyone near the lake must have gotten in this line. So we made the right choice. Pirates was great once again, and afterwards we moved on to Splash Mountain.

2015-08-21%2022.25.58_zpsd9qi4nqa.jpg

Cara did not want to get wet.
I really didn't notice too much difference between DL and WDW Splash, the animatronics looked a little different here, and there was a scene with brer rabbit's mother, but besides that they were pretty much the same. I like sitting next to someone better than in my own row though, like you do in WDW. We went and grabbed some FPs for Indy, and hopped in line for the Jungle Cruise. Jungle cruise was the same and very different, a lot of the animatronics looked very different even though they were the same scene as the WDW version, if that makes any sense. There was also a nifty little piranha scene missing from Orlando. Our tour guide was fantastic, the best I ever have had on the Jungle Cruise, I wish I would have gotten her name, because she deserves a lot of kudos, and needs to be sent to Orlando to train the JC kids down there. After the JC we cashed in our FPs for Indy, which may have been my favorite ride of this trip. The park was getting ready to close at this point, but we had a little time, we tried to get to Space Mountain in time, but failed. Oh well. We went back to the hotel room, tired and ready to rest for another full day in California. We would be meeting one of Cara's best friends, Kim, and her brother and some other friends of theirs in the morning.

PMC0849

Original Poster
Couldnt agree more!!!!!!

Yeah, I still love both versions, DL's is just the better one. I wonder how they are in the overseas parks?

I love your pictures and can't wait to see more. I've got to get my comments together, but "Wow!" is all I can say right now. That castle is so beautiful. It was so cool to see in person.

Thank you! That picture turned out great. The castle isn't as imposing as Cinderella's castle, my first reaction was wow! it is so small. It is still cool to see, and at night they had it all decked out for the diamond jubilee.

PMC0849

Original Poster
Day 2 - We have to meet Oswald!
We woke up and the plan was to head to California Adventure and get on Radiator Springs Racers, before we were meeting some other people. We grabbed a couple fastpasses for RSR for mid-afternoon, and then we went and got on the ride via the single riders line, there was already a 60 minute wait for standby, we walked right on through the single riders line.

IMG_4628_zpsb1ejk6vw.jpg

IMG_4629_zpsa86vylz8.jpg

IMG_4631_zpsi7e4scsb.jpg

IMG_4632_zpskd0afvfv.jpg

IMG_4635_zps7d4uqeze.jpg

Racers, this is an impressive ride, the animatronics are awesome, the ride is fun, and it looks great. That being said I prefer Test Track, I do not know what the consensus opinion of these two similar ride is but TT is my choice. I like the theming of TT better, I like building my own car, and I like that TT is faster. It probably doesn't help that I am not really a fan of the "Cars" movies. Anyway after this we headed over to Toy Story Midway Mania. The lines for this during our trip were always way shorter than the ones at Hollywood Studios, I am sure this is because there is more to do overall at DCA than DHS. This is always a fun ride, I do need tips on how to increase my score though. I seem stuck in the 150,000-160,000 range. There was a long delay on TSMM this time, so we got some practice in with no points, a lot. After Toy Story we were going to meet the rest of our party. We were meeting up with Kim, a college friend of Cara's and one of her bridesmaids at our wedding, Kim's brother Richard, his boyfriend (who's name I forgot), their friend CJ (who works for Disney), her fiancee (forgot name, it may have been Matthew, he also worked for Disney, their friends Sean, his wife (name forgot), and their two young daughters (guess what? forgot their name's too). So we were quite a large group, if by any random chance any of this group reads this I apologize for forgetting names, I am awful with names. They had all picked up Fastpasses for RSR on the way to meet us, but their's were for 4 hours after ours. We decided to head to California Screamin since the line is nonexistent for that ride.

IMG_4638_zpsx7ksnuli.jpg

After California Screamin we wandered over to Tower of Terror. We had a chatty CM as we were boarding ToT he told us he was excited for the Star Wars stuff, but he admitted he is sick of Frozen everything, and is ready for it to go away, interesting, but not surprising. We got stuck on ToT right before the dropping starts, a CM came over a loud speaker and talked to us, and told jokes while we waited for the maintenance guy to see what was wrong. So, there was a napkin that had gotten picked up by the ride sensor which caused the stoppage, he picked up the napkin and sent us back down. They gave us the option to stay on the ride and it would go again, or we could get off and get FPs for whatever we chose to stay, but there was a family who wanted to get off. So ToT in DL seems a lot shorter, maybe it's just me, but the journey to the part where you fall was a lot less impressive. So I will give WDWs ToT the win here.

IMG_4640_zpst8s0ek8i.jpg

Only 3 people in the car were not in our group
We decided to head out of DCA and go over to DL, on the way out we finally saw Oswald the Lucky Rabbit! Cara, is a huge fan of the Epic Mikey video games, and loves Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, I knew this was the one thing she needed to do while we were here.

IMG_4643_zpsipv55hcl.jpg

IMG_4645_zpsyzbaww0n.jpg

We were headed to Hungry Bear to get some lunch, CJ's fiancee went to get us some fastpasses for Space Mountain at this time, he couldn't get those for a time that would work so when he returned he had Big Thunder FPs instead.

IMG_4648_zpsmr1wxabn.jpg

IMG_4649_zpshncuwr4l.jpg

I had a cheeseburger with sweet potato fries, and Cara had a fried green tomato sandwich. They were pretty good.

IMG_4652_zpscq71hpl7.jpg

We hopped on Big Thunder, which was fun, there was something different about this version of the ride, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it, Cara, and CJ's fiancee both said they liked WDW version better, I don't know if I could say one is better than the other. Next up was another journey through Pirates, I could ride this ride forever I think, I just love it. After that we hopped in line for Indy, which may be my favorite DL ride overall.

IMG_4654_zpsijwv1tvy.jpg

After Indy we had to head back to DCA for the groups FPs for RSR, I don't know how exactly but we did get separated briefly at this time, and said we would meet after RSR, we had an early dinner reservation at Ariel's Grotto, and I think were going to meet there. Anyway Cara and I got in the the single rider line for racers, which was much longer, we probably waited 40 minutes this time, standby was at 160 minutes I believe. After we got off, we headed over to Ariel's Grotto, where 2 members of our group were waiting, CJ and Matthew, everyone else was still waiting in the FP line for RSR. They seated just the 4 of us, and a few minutes later the rest of the party arrived. The FP line for racers was apparently very long and took forever. Anyway Ariel's grotto was a prix fixe menu, so we got an appetizer, entree, and desert.
I had the surf and turf, Cara had the shrimp pasta, several people had the corn cakes. I think the appetizer was just soup or salad.

IMG_4656_zpsr7tijsfu.jpg

IMG_4657_zpsey8vtmja.jpg

IMG_4658_zpswm4swpyz.jpg

IMG_4659_zpscmhyzqc8.jpg

It was Kim's birthday
IMG_4662_zpskbm9qyux.jpg

We had somewhere along the line gotten FPs for Space Mountain during this time, so after dinner we went back to DL and rode SM. While getting in line there was some confusion with people jumping out of the standby line and trying to get in the FP line, and giving the CMs confused, we don't speak english looks, when he was telling them they needed to get in the standby line. After they left we got right on SM. it so different, Matthew, kept saying this is his favorite ride in all the Disney parks, and thinks it is much better than WDW version, now while it is good, I prefer the WDW one, can't say why exactly I just do. I didn't laugh as much while on this SM. After space we had to go back to DCA because as part of the the dinner reservation we had reserved us spots for World of Color.

IMG_4663_zpswfjvjnzd.jpg

IMG_4671_zpsjot1wakx.jpg

World of color was an interesting show, the Neil Patrick Harris and Mickey Mouse narration was a bit corny, I liked the actual water show and thought that was impressive. We were told the old version was better, where there wasn't a narrator, it was just the water and lights to classic disney songs. I rolled my eyes at the end when they tacked on a Star War Episode VII commercial, and I love Star Wars. I did like seeing Thor and Captain America for a second in there though, I know it is a pipe dream, but I keep hoping WDW and Universal agree to some deal so the Marvel characters can come to WDW. I know Star Lord and Gamorra had a brief dance party at a special event at DHS once, but I want more dang nabbit. After World of Color Kim, Cara, and I went to check out Downtown Disney, Sean and his family were going home, and the rest of the party went to ride Star Tours. DT disney was packed, since everyone leaving after WoC and fireworks were headed straight there. I did get a rad Mr. Toad's Wild Ride shirt though. This is where we screwed up, we should have gone to Trader Sam's and waited for everybody there, but we didn't, and they got trapped by the parade. By the time they got to us, we were exhausted and just wanted to get back to the hotel and pack.

We had a fun, short weekend trip to Disneyland, I would like to visit again, maybe during a less crowded time, but I would also like to see more of the whole Los Angeles area if I get a chance to return to Southern California. I also want to stay at one of the Disneyland Resorts some time, see how they compare to WDW resorts. The biggest difference between the 2 parks, is the lack of a bubble in DL, once you leave you are in a city, with traffic and shops and Disney has no control over how it all looks. Disney World you really feel like you are not in the real world at all. I often see people say they think DL is better maintained, I did not see any evidence of this, I would have to say they seem exactly the same to me. The crowd is different at DL, less tour groups, a lot more locals it seemed. It was a very good way to make the wait for a trip to WDW in 13 days now, go by easier! Thank you for reading, I will probably be back sometime in October for our much much longer WDW trip!! So stay tuned!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom