Potentially pregnant wife on next Disney trip. Can I have some tips on rides?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I realize there are warnings on the Disney website that recommend you do not ride if you are pregnant. I get that. I've read them and to be quite honest while my wife doesn't mind going on Space Mountain or such, she probably wouldn't if I didn't do it.

We might be taking a trip in the fall. She may or may not be pregnant then. Can I have some experiences with pregnant women on what they rode and what they didn't ride? Obviously the health of the child is the most important but it seems like most of the rides are legit for pregnant women and won't affect the baby.

Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, ToT (which he wouldn't go on again anyway) and Splash Mountain seem to be the ones I would avoid although I know there have been pregnant women that went on Splash Mountain. Kilimanjaro Safari is incredibly bumpy and not recommended for pregnant women either. Nor is Test Track or Dinosaur I believe.

Kristamouse

I am a mother to 6 children, no twins. Have been to WDW a few times while pregnant. Heck we did 17hrs at MK when I was pregnant with baby #5. Like any heath issue follow her lead with resting and eating. Avoid the obvious No-No's and talk to the OB. The only ride I did that could be seen as a No-no was the Safari in AK. There was another pregnant mommy in our truck too so I guess we both thought it was fine.
I am the kind of crazy that does cross Training and weight training while pregnant so keeping up at WDW was not hard for me. I also have avoided swelling issues. My SIL was not so lucky pregnant with her 3rd. She didn't walk out side of daily walking and didn't excercise while pregnant and had some huge ankles. Rest and elevation quickly helped her.
My worst trip pregnant was when I was 8 weeks with baby #3. I have hypermesies Gravadarum (constant morning sickness and take special meds that make me tired.) Being out in fresh air helped me feel better but the combo of my meds, being pregnant and having 2 kids under 3 in WDW left me exhausted!
On my trip I was visibly pregnant I had so many kind CM's and strangers off me a place to sit and a free Dessert at dinner, because the baby wanted it! We also have a few cute pics of characters rubbing my belly:)
I won't lie it was a bit of a bummer to not ride my faves but I made up for the missing rides with awesome snacks!
Oh and my OB's tip was the equivalent of one bottle of water per hour. I made sure to follow that rule.
Hope you get your positive test soon and enjoy your babymoon. DH and I are headed back in March for a no kids trip! It has been 13 years and over 15 trips with kids, we are looking forward to doing the parks our way again:)

Fox&Hound

My wife went while pregnant and found that many of the rides in MK she could do without problem (except for the mountains: Splash, Space, Big Thunder). But there were so many shows and rides like Pirates, Small World, etc that were fun to ride. At DHS she had to avoid Tower, RnRC, and Star Tours, but could enjoy GMR, the shows, and even Toy Story. Epcot was fun but a lot of walking. Rides like Mexico, Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Ellen, etc were all fine. Obviously test track was out. Soarin would prob be fine but you might want to check. Sadly, except for the shows, there was little for her to ride at AK (no safaari, no Everest, no Dinosaur) but maybe with the new night show and Pandora land opened it would be worth the trip.

I think you can still have a blast at WDW but it will just mean going at a slower pace, take a lot of breaks, and make sure she stays hydrated, and has plenty of snacks! I hope it all works out for you! Have a great trip!!!!! :)

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Thanks. Yeah if we go we'll have three kids 6 and under, so doing things at a slower pace will be inevitable anyway. I realize we won't be doing things at my pace with children. That's okay, Disney at 80% is still better than staying home. Most stuff she will still be able to ride and obviously see all of the shows too. Shouldn't be a problem.

thomas998

Every pregnancy is different. She should follow her doctor's advice.
This....
Not to mention you didn't give details on what part of the pregnancy she will be in, clearly the first trimester isn't going to be the same as the last from a physical standpoint so that factors into what you can and cannot expect to be able to do... Also note I said "expect" because the other reality is every pregnancy is different, as an example my wife has had two kids, with one she was flat out sick as a hell the entire pregnancy to the point that she ended up weighting less the day after the baby was delivered than she did before getting pregnant... with the other one she wasn't sick at all so understand you have no idea how things will be she might feel great or she might be so sick she doesn't even want to get on a plane let alone go to Disney. Your asking for complete speculation about a complete unknown.... Frankly I wouldn't plan a vacation for a time when your not even sure if she is going to be pregnant but suspect she likely will....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom