News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

roodlesnouter

Here's a very very very very rough idea of what to expect, from Alton Towers theme park here in the U.K. It's a transit system to get around 3 places in the park. At 3:30 you'll see a mid course turn station where you can also alight and board.

This isn't meant to give an example of height of cable, length of runs, amount of gondolas, style of gondolas (though I believe it's pretty close) or choice of lightbulb in the station roof. The valley crossing isn't really happening either.

Great post, this was pretty much my view of things when I first heard the announcement, Albeit it on a grander scale.

Alton Towers always has been a testing ground for bigger and grander versions overseas, seems this time it's the gondolas and not a coaster :joyfull:.

truecoat

Can't legitimately rule this out :)

Does Shweeb make the Plumbus?

rick and morty.jpg

Progress.City

In the small city I'm living at, they are linking new buildings that are under construction together using an elevated fixed track system that is definitely more high tech and higher capacity than this proposed gondola system. If it's cost-effective here to build such a system, I can't understand way a big company like Disney can't do it. I took these pictures of the system under construction yesterday to give an idea what I'm talking about...

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1116.JPG
    IMG_1116.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 61

TimeTrip

In the small city I'm living at, they are linking new buildings that are under construction together using an elevated fixed track system that is definitely more high tech and higher capacity than this proposed gondola system. If it's cost-effective here to build such a system, I can't understand way a big company like Disney can't do it. I took these pictures of the system under construction yesterday to give an idea what I'm talking about...

View attachment 191248

View attachment 191252
View attachment 191254
Any other info available for this system? How long? How many stops? Cost?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

View attachment 191248

View attachment 191252
View attachment 191254
Looks kinda expensive to me. The beauty of the gondola system is that you only need to build a few support towers and connect them with cables. The stations can also be ground level instead of elevated which saves majorly on costs like elevators and infrastructure.

I think they went with a cheaper and more flexible option with the gondolas.

NoTime42

View attachment 191248

View attachment 191252
View attachment 191254
Very cool.

But the problem in WDW is the $$$ required to build solid foundations in swamp land. In WDW, every support column requires an expensive foundation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Very cool.

But the problem in WDW is the $$$ required to build solid foundations in swamp land. In WDW, every support column requires an expensive foundation.
Yep. The more weight supported the more expensive the support columns too. Concrete and metal are a whole lot heavier than cables.

jt04

View attachment 191248

View attachment 191252
View attachment 191254

What city or what is the name of the system?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom