News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

TrojanUSC

Disney learned a bit of a lesson by not air conditioning the new monorail cabins at Disneyland, where the average temperatures are far less (and with less humidity). It caused a massive headache at the beginning. Now the cars have some windows open, but it can get stifling during the summer. I can't imagine them repeating that mistake.

Skipper of the SEA

Just heard from another person with some knowledge of the project and her response when asked about the whole AC issue was ''absolutely not, unless it's changed recently" ... no, I don't know what recent would be, but I assumed weeks, maybe a month or two.

The original source, FYI, has been feeding me info for many years now (often things that I break here ) and has never been wrong about anything. 100% track record.

So while things change, I feel safe in saying this thing is going to built open air (no, this doesn't mean like the old Skyway ... it just means openings for ventilation so as to not kill Guests of heatstroke).
Interesting as most lifts are in cold climates so there is no need, but when it gets in the 90's in the Summer unless there is very good ventilation it almost seems like a no brainer.

TrojanUSC

but do they really care about the riders? The gondolas will forefill its job transporting its guest safely, the only money it seems being made from these gondolas will be the guest booking the more costly hotel rooms.

They do to the extent that if guests start to feel ill from the heat or the lack of circulation or the warmth effects ridership to the extent that it becomes a waste of money for the resort, thereby upsetting shareholders.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The gondolas are supposed to service the new high end DVC being built, no? So, does anyone think Disney isn't going to air condition a transport for a deluxe property?
Yep. The DVCers will have a six minute ride to Epcot and a two minute then a four minute ride to the studios.

Btw, ITJ does internally refer to the gondolas as an aside.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

Will there be some kind of big canopy on top? If there's no AC, I'd be concerned with direct sunlight and rain getting in. At least if there's no AC, it means all the weight the system can handle will go towards carrying passengers (and ECVs).

Bacon

If this happens would there be a chance it would be announced at D23 2017? or just one of those random announcements

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

There was a permit filed by PCL Construction Services today for: "ITJ UTILITY RELOCATION & PREP" at the following addresses which seem to correspond to the 6 gondola structure which I have included in italics. I am still trying to figure out what "ITJ" stands for.

1874 Avenue of the Stars - International Gateway Station
251 E Buena Vista Dr - Boardwalk parking lot turn station
785 Studio Dr - DHS Station
1910 Animation Way - AOA/Pop station
1051 Sea Breeze - CBR Station 1
1074 Sea Breeze - CBR Station 2

[Edit] To be clear, the description are NOT from the permit, only the addresses.

lazyboy97o

I believe that the gondolas are a great idea! i've never got to experience the gondolas that were once in the Magic Kingdom, but now I have a chance. This time though it'll be on a much grander scale as it's gliding over a number of Disney properties. No longer will I have to stand amongst the Brazilian tour groups to just wait to get on a Monorail. This changes everything!
This system has no overlap with the Monorail.

The Empress Lilly

I believe that the gondolas are a great idea! i've never got to experience the gondolas that were once in the Magic Kingdom, but now I have a chance. This time though it'll be on a much grander scale as it's gliding over a number of Disney properties. No longer will I have to stand amongst the Brazilian tour groups to just wait to get on a Monorail. This changes everything!
Between the WS Brazil pavilion and the changes to the Caribbean Resort one might find it even harder in this area to evade our beloved crowd of 'LOUD NOISE, LOUD NOISE, CLAP YOUR HANDS, LOUD NOISE'

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Every gondola in the world with the exception of one has no air conditioning. Only 36 gondolas cabins have ever been built with A/C. Not 36 systems but one system with 36 cabins. If Disney does go with air conditioning, it will be only the second such system in the world and by far the largest.
http://www.cwa.ch/en/newsdetail---0--0--0--1--28.html
Simple engineering answer -- put a liquid nitrogen tank on the roof and fill it as necessary. Vent into the cabin through baffles and plenums to mix with ambient air, which will then sink into the cabin.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I don't remember it being such a big deal on the Skyway back in the '80s with no A/C since it was open air...look at me in my avatar in 1984...not sweating it...just chillin' looking at how many pictures I have left on my 24 picture roll of Kodak film.
Aaaand... why did they close that attraction, again...? (hint: jumpers/spitters/projectiles/insurance liability)

Bacon

This is happening. Construction is starting.
giphy.gif

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Will there be some kind of big canopy on top? If there's no AC, I'd be concerned with direct sunlight and rain getting in. At least if there's no AC, it means all the weight the system can handle will go towards carrying passengers (and ECVs).
The cabins will be enclosed behind solar coated plastic windows with air vents in the upper areas. There will also be floor vents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom