Possible Frontierland expansion

doctornick

Original Poster
Very astute and quite plausible, except that this scenario would only worsen the bottleneck by Splash Mountain, unless the traffic patterns and walkways in the area were dramatically reworked. At least, so it seems to me. But maybe I'm not visualizing it properly.

I think that putting a ride on the established expansion pad behind BTMRR is the most likely scenario, but I just feel like it would be potentially short-sighted since it would exacerbate the bottleneck in that area.

aladdin2007

You were on about this:

That is what I'm on about any expansion of Frontierland would include that expensive place setting stuff like rockwork

That is exactly why the board sent WDI back to the drawing board regarding star wars at the studios in the first planning stages, too much rock work not enough substance and high cost. So hopefully they learned their lesson with that.

IMFearless

Using the expansion pad west of BTM makes further, distant future, expansion North even more difficult.

I agree it would make traffic flow worse having another attraction. Although, I don't think it would affect congestion significantly: my guess is that many guests ride BTM and Splash in quick succession, and knock them both off while they are in that area. With an additional people eating attraction back there it would hopefully not make the situation too much worse, people would be likely to do all three in succession.

To me the area getting to and fro is the worst for congestion and I think the parade causes the biggest headache in that area.

Compared to how crowded Main Street gets I can't see the Frontierland dead end being an issue which would prevent an additional attraction back there. After all, I think the numbers coming and going won't increase dramatically, the guests will maybe just stay in that area a bit longer.

One things for sure, whatever does goes in needs to have a decent capacity per hour, I'd like to see something similar to HM to pull away crowds into a largely hidden show building.

SirLink

That is exactly why the board sent WDI back to the drawing board regarding star wars at the studios in the first planning stages, too much rock work not enough substance and high cost. So hopefully they learned their lesson with that.

Firstly, sandstone is not "rock work". BoD approved NFL and that had no substance. So no I just don't believe that the Jim Hill excuse...

doctornick

Original Poster
I thought you said they WERE docking the Belle like two days ago.

I'm guessing you are thinking about this post from @marni1971

I'm afraid so.

He seemed pessimistic about the Riverboat's future in the event of a Frontierland expansion at that time. But that was a week ago and I suspect based on the context that he may have been saying his opinion/concerns, not being based on anything he had heard at the time. It sounds like in the meantime he may have heard about more specific plans/pitched ideas that did not require permanently docking the Liberty Belle or seemingly involving TSI/RoA at all.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
He's not a flip flopping politician. Clearly, the evidence changed. Also, Pluto has ice.

Pluto-On_Ice.jpg

CrescentLake

Funny you should mention that. If they do, its a separate budget than the 350m that was mentioned with the 3.5B makeover.

Still an "If they Do" from what I'm hearing.

Apologies if you have already answered this question many times (I try to keep up to date with your thread), but we still don't know what would be included in the 3.5B right?

I mean if they expand fronteirland and we get the 3.5B...thats better than christmas for Disney fans.

PhotoDave219

Apologies if you have already answered this question many times (I try to keep up to date with your thread), but we still don't know what would be included in the 3.5B right?

I mean if they expand fronteirland and we get the 3.5B...thats better than christmas for Disney fans.

Yes. Right on the money. Frontierland would be a separate budget.

And based on the crowd levels MK is pulling this summer, they desperately need another people eater.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Adventureland has just as many E tickets as Frontierland. Frontierland has Big Thunder and Splash Mountain, Adventureland has Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean. Actually they have three each if you count the non-ride animatronic shows Tiki Room and Country Bear Jamboree (which were considered E's).

In actuality it's Fantasyland and Tomorrowland that have the fewest E tickets. Tomorrowland just has Space Mountain (horrid condition aside). Fantasyland originally had two, Small World along with 20,000 Leagues. Fantasyland of course lost one of those back in 1994 and still hasn't received a suitable replacement (neither Mermaid nor Mine Train are E's).

I believe Fantasyland is perfectly fine. 7 Dwarves is technically always going to be an E-Ticket as it has yet to drop below an hour wait time at any time of the day. Peter Pan is outrageously popular always over an hour as well. Heck, even Be Our Guest, even though it's a restaurant, draws a butt load of people over to Fantasyland as well as Winnie the Pooh. It's a Small World has a wait time of 110 minutes on Saturday.. On top of all of those, Philharmagic and Mermaid fill in space with still a very nice ride through (Little Mermaid had a wait time of 30 minutes on Saturday, Mickey's Philharmagic was totally empty). So Fantasyland really doesn't need anymore expanding or E-Tickets.

Tomorrowland is in horrible shape. Nobody goes to Stitch, nobody thinks about going to Carousel of Progress, Laugh Floor, PeopleMover... What Tomorrowland has that is popular is Astro Orbiter, Space Mountain and the Speedway (not sure why though.)

I agree with Adventureland VS. Frontierland when you put it that way.

By the way, Carousel of Progress was in such bad shape.. It was awful. A huge piece of crap. It's neglected. It can be great, but right now it's freaking creepy, boring, and embarrassing. Close it down or maintain it, Disney! I was really wanting my friends to enjoy it when I took them on it but even I was cringing at how bad it was! they walked out saying "Well that sucked. Why did you make us watch it?"

MerlinTheGoat

Peoplemover is actually very popular, it's simply super efficient and high capacity. It always has a constant stream of people in the queue and generally the cars, but it also constantly loads/unloads and doesn't have Fastpass to screw with it (thankfully). It was always this way, even in the early 90's before the crowds got really out of hand.

Last edited:

jt04

I doubt TDO will touch Frontierland for another 15-20 yrs after New Frontierland is finished.

The only way TSI/Riverboat will be shuttered is once they've drastically increased capacity. Frontierland has two possible expansion pads beyond RoA, while Adventureland has one (behind POTC/JC) and Tomorrowland has three (between CoP/Space, the MS parking lot, and the area behind Space/Speedway). There's also underutilized space (building on top of CoP, Stitch, Laugh Floor, the Speedway, Storybook Circus... specifically the tents area, the space behind BoG for a dark ride) beyond the major expansion pads.

If New Frontierland doesn't remove Tom Sawyer or RoA, nothing will for at least 40-50 yrs IMO, unless they've fully built out every nook and cranny outside of Frontierland. It helps that Disney doesn't have a lot of thematically appropriate IPs for the area lol :D Lone Ranger, Home on the Range and Woody's Roundup are slim pickings haha.

I agree the IP choices are slim. heh. But, who knows, maybe they will shock us and reverse the trend by building a new land they intend to turn into a new IP. I think there are real opportunities there.

TSI may have a future but not with that IP. Same for Splash which at the very least of its problems is that it was built in the wrong land. I believe also though that the IP will be replaced in the future. PatF and other IP's seem a much better and guest relateable options IMO.

Slowly they are correcting mistakes by previous managers. I think Splash and TSI fall into that category. Laugh Floor, Stitch and possibly philharmagic will also find new parks or be reimagined in due time.

ToTBellHop

Peoplemover is actually very popular, it's simply super efficient and high capacity. It always has a constant stream of people in the queue and generally the cars, but it constantly loads/unloads and doesn't have Fastpass to screw with it (thankfully). It was always this way, even in the early 90's before the crowds got really out of hand.
Yes. It's capacity is outstanding. It regularly sees over 3000 guests in an hour. I think it has the highest capacity of any WDW ride (upwards of 4000 without breakdowns or transfers).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom