Possible Frontierland expansion

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If were both talking about the same issue, that is, crowding, then...

If you are not expanding real estate, then the only solution is finding somewhere for all those people to be rather than jostling each other in the walkways. You could demolish current rides for rides/attractions that hold more people. But, unless you're changing a ride into a theater... I don't see that as much of a solution. So, if you're not expanding your park's acreage, how do you reduce crowding through the upgrading of attractions? My proposal of better queues does take up more real estate, which would tend to make things more crowded, but it packs people in more efficiently. A large, well-themed queue should hold more people than the ride itself.

If you are expanding real estate and adding more rides... and those rides are great rides, then you will draw in more people than the new area can accommodate and create more crowding... unless you build a large, well-themed queue... just like FoP can hold three hours worth of people in queue.
Or you can a roster of C and D fillers around a few good, high capacity attractions. When did WDI last build something that can handle 3000 guests an hour?

Of course there's also the Pressler Fastpass rule one argument but that's not going away.

tirian

In a park that's still horrendously overcrowded more and more they still haven't reached the balance of coping with demand vs driving demand.

Everything is being done to try to cope without adding more real estate.

Marni, you and I know that (and I really know the Next-Gen intentions firsthand), but we are clearly not going to convince anyone with a predetermined opinion.

Pipe dream: I wish Disney would dust off the plans and build an upgraded, cutting-edge WRE using Marc Davis' animatronics combined with Shanghai's POTC tech, then add a C-ticket to TL and be done with the MK for about 10 years. WRE's concept art still works. Just toss the race-specific jokes that were products of their time and keep the funny scenarios that could apply to anyone. Most of Davis' jokes were aimed at the cowboys and outlaws, not the Indians.

If Disney built a massive, people-eating E-ticket boat ride with fully realized sets and must-see technology, plus a huge dose of humor, they could process thousands of guests an hour and possibly launch another film franchise. (But leave the Lone Ranger out of it. ;) ) Better yet, the ride would round out that corner of the MK, and the park could survive another 10 years with maintenance and a C-ticket in Tomorrowland.

But we know that plan makes too much sense to happen. :banghead:

Edit:

Last edited:

jt04

That's the same footprint as the final product.

I do remember they eliminated a small slice. But that is not the point. I was saying that what was originally announced and hinted at is radically different than what was built. Whether that is good is subjective.

But Frozen might be in the MK had the original concept been built. Though I now see IPcot as a positive. IMO.

the.dreamfinder

Marni, you and I know that (and I really know the Next-Gen intentions firsthand), but we are clearly not going to convince anyone with a predetermined opinion.

Pipe dream: I wish Disney would dust off the plans and build an upgraded, cutting-edge WRE using Marc Davis' animatronics combined with Shanghai's POTC tech, then add a C-ticket to TL and be done with the MK for about 10 years. WRE's concept art still works. Just toss the race-specific jokes that were products of their time and keep the funny scenarios that could apply to anyone. Most of Davis' jokes were aimed at the cowboys and outlaws, not the Indians.

If Disney built a massive, people-eating E-ticket boat ride with fully realized sets and must-see technology, plus a huge dose of humor, they could process thousands of guests an hour and possibly launch another film franchise. (But leave the Lone Ranger out of it. ;) ) Better yet, the ride would round out that corner of the MK, and the park could survive another 10 years with maintenance and a C-ticket in Tomorrowland.

But we know that plan makes too much sense for Disney to do it. :banghead:

Edit:

Has WRE been seriously considered in the past ten years? I had read on the Imagineering Disney blog that there was a push to build it in Hong Kong, at the behest of John Lasseter.

Also, I wish they would seriously consider using the Carousel theater concept more often. There's so much potential with it and can suck up lots of guests.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

They should open mediocre things that will eat people but not drive demand. Keep Stitch open year-round. Open HoP with an animatronic Sean Spicer at the door refusing to answer questions about showtime or what the show even is. Give Surprise FPs to Tom Sawyer Island. Serve mini churros at CBJ. Hide a Mickey's Premium Bar somewhere in Swiss Family each morning. Expand Sorcerer's to the bus loop. Hula hoops in the Hub (wait they already do that). Invite guests to get drunk (wait they already do that). Dance parties in Tomorrowland (wait they already do that). Offer to hose down naked kids (wait they already do that).
Reopen the Diamond Horseshoe with a new show (NEVER).

felipenor

That might be a help, as you say for a partial solution. But personally, I have my limits on wait times. Want it to be truly Magical? Make wait times 30 minutes (40 max) or less (by adding crowd eaters & other ways). Then I would be even happier, in a better mood and more likely to spend a little of that time saved and money on some food/beverage and merchandise. As is now compared to what it could be (IMO), Magical my asp.

ETA - I know. It'll never happen.
The long lines are such a bad aspect of the parks. It's kind of insane to think you'll be paying a 100-plus ticket to spend some 8 hours in lines.

Princess Leia

They should open mediocre things that will eat people but not drive demand. Keep Stitch open year-round.. Give Surprise FPs to Tom Sawyer Island. Serve mini churros at CBJ. Hide a Mickey's Premium Bar somewhere in Swiss Family each morning. Expand Sorcerer's to the bus loop. Hula hoops in the Hub (wait they already do that). Invite guests to get drunk (wait they already do that). Dance parties in Tomorrowland (wait they already do that).
I mean, HoP was supposed to be open by next week, and Disney has been super quiet about it, so I'm all for getting that Spicer AA for the time being lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Kman101

looks like the whole concept has changed to an All You Can Eat meal... Looks nicer than the catering truck sandwiches we got there a year or so ago... It is a beautiful space...it is sad to see it being misused for so long... Wish they would add a show again...

Oh well that's better then. It was open for part of the day when I was last in the park in May but I hadn't noticed the menu. I would love to see a show in there again.

WDWFanDave

And the stage show?

I have fond memories of that show, and it's such a shame that it's gone. I can remember when...dining reservations were made at the podium (or one inside the park, perhaps not right at the restaurant, can't remember that clearly), and when we went to the MK, my mom so enjoyed that show that we immediately went there at rope drop to get our reservation for that day.

For those that never saw it, think Hoop De Doo, but a shorter version. Yes, it was that good.

Thanks, Martin - I'm really glad you mentioned it :)

Tavernacle12

The answer is to keep building at the other 3 parks. Then a major build out of the MK after the 50th special events and enhancements.

They essentially need to build up Epcot/HS/AK to be at MK's level in the public's eye while also adding people-eaters to MK to help deal with the crowding there. I'd imagine a 'balanced' park system, where all four are equally popular, would solve a lot of problems if done well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom