Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo DeVil

The laws are very different in the UK, we have registered Disabled, this is not thought of to be a bad thing or any infringement on any civil liberties. It makes sure those who need help in certain areas are giving the aid they need.
On our last visit to MK we had sat on the curb saving our place for sometime, so our DS6 at the time would have a good view, next to use was a large family also from the UK, who had an 8 year old girl who was disabled, we got to chatting and because their party was made up of 10 and only 1 was disabled, they were not prepared to abuse the system, they split up so only the amount covered by the GAC and meeting up at different times to switch groups or have a break together. No this isn't a god us brits are great! As the parade started the amount of characters came up to her to say hi was fantastic. We left with that warm fuzzy feeling, as we headed out of the park to get our bus back to the BC. Lots of parents carrying sleeping children waited patiently for the buses, we had been queueing about 30 minutes when a very large person on an ECV turn up in a party of 10 and went straight to the front and got on the next bus! OK that's how Disney does it! We got on the next bus and when we got back to the resort the ECV was being driven around by a younger member of the group and the person that was so bad they couldn't wait in line for a bus was happily walk around next to them. My happy bubble was popped! For a short time anyway, because I know even if it only a small number of people who should have GAC get to use it and until the laws, rules or whatever needs to be done is done I can put up with those who abuse it, just so 1 family in 100 get the right treatment required. TTFN

Dasnowz

I too have seen abuse of these cards. I have seen teens rent a wheel chair and sit out side rides discussing who is going to get in it. They run up to the ride ,someone jumps in and they go in the handicap entrance.​
I do get a GAC for myself. I am mostly home bound. I have handicap on my car and will gladly show a CM at Guest services my state issued card that was signed by a doctor that I do need one. Without too much detail I walk with a cane and cannot do more then about 6 hours in the parks without being in severe pain/agony. I also have severe asthma triggered by heat, perfumes and cigarette smoke. I usually spend most of the time in line using my inhaler to breath. I once rented an ECV and was stepped on, cut in front of, bumped into and run over by kids. CM also hate these and some are not nice about them. Its not worth the headache. I go first thing in the morning and leave by mid afternoon. I have yet to see the evening parades or fireworks. I have never seen the afternoon parades either. I cannot handle being shoved by people nor the close proximity due to my asthma.​
Since I usually go by myself I see a problem with going around the whole park and getting fast passes and then returning. I make it about half way through the park and am done. I live about 75 miles away from the park. I come for a day about once every six to 8 weeks. I cannot handle any more. I come home and spend a week recovering. I have never had a GAC for more then the one day I am there.​
From what I understand the limit is 6. I occasionally will have my 2 teenage girls with me. I understand making for 6 as that will usually encompass a typical family of 4 and possible grandparents. I just think there has to be some way to prevent abuse.​
I have no clue as to how to fix the abuse. I know I personally would not be going at all with out this system. It would be too much for me to handle.​

pcarathers

my dad uses a wheelchair due to bad hip problems from 25 years of firefighting. He is 71 years old and can't walk around as much as WDW requires. We have never used a GAC card and frankly have never had an issue. We go through the regular lines like everyone else and at some point the cast member will take us thru a seperate area to leave his wheelchair. While we know it is not a guaranteed "front of the line" pass,we have encountered a few people who "abused" it. there will always be a flaw. someone, some how will figure out a way around the "rules". We have only gone with a group of 4 that includes my father, so we havent had an issue as far as having a large group. We have discussed if we go back with the rest of my family as a whole, we would split our group up as to not to "take advantage" of the system.

Pooh57

My son is a type 1 diabetic and we have used the GAC since he was diagnosed 10 years ago. There's just the two of us. We only use the pass when the line is long. He can not stand in the heat for long periods of time as he is very affected by the heat. Without the GAC we would not be able to go to WDW again.

skinde

I would love to see tighter restrictions on these cards. I have two brothers with autism who really have issues waiting in areas with tight spaces, large crowds, loud noises, and long waits. We have gotten our Guest Assistance Cards every time we've gone to WDW, as it is really the only place we can vacation because they treat my family so well. My brothers are always treated like VIPs, getting special attention from characters and cast members, and even other guests! It makes me angry when people abuse the system just to get on rides faster. My brothers face and tackle so many challenges every single day of their lives, so they deserve a vacation that allows them to be comfortable. So many times I have received dirty looks, or overheard people say they should act like they have a disability to get in front of lines. Once, my family even called out a high schooler who thought he was cool suggesting that he act "retarded" as we were within earshot walking through an alternative entrance. While embarassing him in front of his friends and showing him how disrespectful that was, I hope we taught him a lesson. Some people are getting away with this, and the fact that they are infuriates me. We have a legitimate reason to use these cards, and they make my brothers happy, because they're comfortable. It's not always for a faster wait... We've sat outside of Turtle Talk with Crush for over 30 minutes before, but in a quiet reserved space. It's the services that the card provides to make us comfortable and pleasant that make them so wonderful. If scammers are going to take up lines and destroy the purpose of the cards, it will really upset me. I hope Disney does fix this issue.

richardson2210

My parents and I have taken my autistic brother to WDW for years. He loves Disney but it is an absolute nightmare for him to wait in line. However, we get nasty looks almost every time we use it, especially when we go on the mountains, and have actually had nasty things said to us, mainly because my brother doesn't "look" like he has a disability. (which is when i usually think to myself that they would be complaining just as much if he was throwing a huge fit in line behind them because he had to wait). I'm just making the point that while people do abuse the system, some that look like they are actually are not.
The GAC has been a godsend, and it is the only way he (and us) can have a positive experience. I don't think it is right that people abuse the system, and i would be perfectly happy with some sort of system (doctor's note having to be shown perhaps?) that kills the abuse but also does not take away from those that truly need it.

nytimez

My son is a type 1 diabetic and we have used the GAC since he was diagnosed 10 years ago. There's just the two of us. We only use the pass when the line is long. He can not stand in the heat for long periods of time as he is very affected by the heat. Without the GAC we would not be able to go to WDW again.

See, I think posts like this are hyperbole. You could literally never go to WDW without a GAC? Even without a GAC, not all lines are long. Even when lines are long, there's FP. And even when lines are long and there's no FP, it's not always hot and many of the queues are indoors and air conditioned.

Certainly, front-of-the-line access based on GAC alone shouldn't make or break anyone's trip IMO.

djlaosc

Is it possible that all rides could have a "fastpass" machine that would be able to check the current wait time, print off a "fastpass" with that wait time on for each person, swiping their tickets in order to do so, so that they wouldn't be able to get more "fastpasses" while they waited for the chance to go back to the ride - so, basically, they would be waiting in line without waiting in line - would be able to go on other attractions (there's nothing you could really do to stop this), or shop, or eat, but not get any fastpasses while waiting to ride (just like those in line can't get fastpasses while waiting in line), and then go in through a side door to get to the front of the line (where they would have been anyway), and it would solve the "maximum number of people" issue - everybody would be waiting in line together, so they all get a "fastpass".

jaklgreen

True. And all Disney has to do under the ADA laws is provide wheelchair accesibility.

There's no ADA law about letting autistic kids who don't like to wait in line get an immediate Fastpass at a theme park. The perks Disney gives those folks, via the GAC system, are purely customer-service driven and have nothing to do with ADA laws. ADA laws deal with physical accesibility issues, and nothing more.

I'd be fascinated to hear how the people who have GAC's because they can't wait in line get through airport security at Boston Logan or O'hare on their trip to WDW.

Seems to me the GAC should be good for two people and two people only; the person with the type of disability that allows them to walk around a busy theme park in the Florida heat but can't wait in lines for the good rides, and one other guest.

And yes, I know I'm being "insensitive" to those who can't wait in theme park lines. But I've stood in the Racers Fastpass line several times this summer with bratty families where the Mom gushes to others about how much a "godsend" the GAC is and how easy it is to get them for medical conditions that don't exist. One lady even bragged about how the YouTube video she watched coached her on what exactly to say to Guest Relations, and now she has a GAC for every Disneyland visit she makes. Yes, she was an AP. :rolleyes:

I completely agree with you on this. If you have a physical handicap then there should be accessability for your wheelchair or walker or whatever you use. I am even ok with the rides having an area for you to "wait out" your time. People have to remember that Disneyland and WDW are amusement parks. It is not as if it is a grocery store or shopping mall where you need to go to get food and clothes. It sucks having limitations either physically or mentally but thats life. We have several of these issues in our family and there are things that we just can not do. My niece is autistic, my sister goes to WDW with her at slow times and uses fast pass, and they do not expect to get to do everything in one trip, thats just how it goes. They are happy that they have a beautiful daughter that they are able to take to WDW and have her enjoy the things she can tolerate. The sense of entitlement that people have now is out of control. The fact that Disney does accomodate so many people is amazing and what they get for their efforts is their generosity abused! It will have to stop eventually after all if everyone needs a GAC then how are we going to decide who is going first? Everyone can not be first in line.

richardson2210

Is it possible that all rides could have a "fastpass" machine that would be able to check the current wait time, print off a "fastpass" with that wait time on for each person, swiping their tickets in order to do so, so that they wouldn't be able to get more "fastpasses" while they waited for the chance to go back to the ride - so, basically, they would be waiting in line without waiting in line - would be able to go on other attractions (there's nothing you could really do to stop this), or shop, or eat, but not get any fastpasses while waiting to ride (just like those in line can't get fastpasses while waiting in line), and then go in through a side door to get to the front of the line (where they would have been anyway), and it would solve the "maximum number of people" issue - everybody would be waiting in line together, so they all get a "fastpass".

So, you mean a fastpass within a fastpass?

djlaosc

So, you mean a fastpass within a fastpass?

Yeah, it would basically work like the fastpass system, but every attraction would be included (and you wouldn't have the current fastpass machines, instead there would be something for the CMs to use). I have no idea whether it would work or not, but just wondered if it would possibly solve some of the issues with the current system.

richardson2210

True. And all Disney has to do under the ADA laws is provide wheelchair accesibility.

There's no ADA law about letting autistic kids who don't like to wait in line get an immediate Fastpass at a theme park. The perks Disney gives those folks, via the GAC system, are purely customer-service driven and have nothing to do with ADA laws. ADA laws deal with physical accesibility issues, and nothing more.

I'd be fascinated to hear how the people who have GAC's because they can't wait in line get through airport security at Boston Logan or O'hare on their trip to WDW.

Seems to me the GAC should be good for two people and two people only; the person with the type of disability that allows them to walk around a busy theme park in the Florida heat but can't wait in lines for the good rides, and one other guest.

And yes, I know I'm being "insensitive" to those who can't wait in theme park lines. But I've stood in the Racers Fastpass line several times this summer with bratty families where the Mom gushes to others about how much a "godsend" the GAC is and how easy it is to get them for medical conditions that don't exist. One lady even bragged about how the YouTube video she watched coached her on what exactly to say to Guest Relations, and now she has a GAC for every Disneyland visit she makes. Yes, she was an AP. :rolleyes:

In my situation, we drive from Michigan to Florida every time we go, because my brother cannot wait in the airport security lines either. Agreeing with you though, I would be perfectly fine with the GAC being for only two people, since those that actually need the passes would be able to still have the service that Disney graciously provides.

nytimez

In my situation, we drive from Michigan to Florida every time we go, because my brother cannot wait in the airport security lines either. Agreeing with you though, I would be perfectly fine with the GAC being for only two people, since those that actually need the passes would be able to still have the service that Disney graciously provides.

That would essentially punish the honest people who need it -- breaking up, for example, parties of three and four -- while allowing dishonest people to continue to abuse the system. They would simply request more GACs until they have one for each pair of people in the group (they're dishonest, after all).

pookiepooh

DISCLAIMER! I fully understand that some folks have legitimate needs for GACs and I am not trying to minimize their issues or make fun of them in any way.

I was lucky enough to be able to work at Guest Relations for a good period of time recently, and can tell you without a shadow of doubt or hesitation that the GAC problem is out of control. For reference, MK gives out around 400-450 of these cards, stamped Alternate Entrance, per DAY. Probably 90% of these cards are written for the maximum of six people each. That is nearly 2,700 people in the MK each day getting a BRAND NEW GAC. That 2,700 does NOT include Guests who have gotten a GAC on a previous day at MK, or a previous day or the same day at the other 3 parks or DTD. Epcot does around 300, DHS around 250 and AK does around 150. DTD maybe 50 per day. That means on an average busy day, there are around 7,000 Guests getting NEW GACs for alternate entrance. Remember that does not include GACs from previous days!

This has FLOODED the FP queues with alternate entrance GACs, to the point that if you really stop and take notice, I would say almost half of the people entering the FP queue are doing so with GACs. [On further review I believe that the number is less than half, but still enough to cause an issue with FP distribution ratios]

GACs are the bane of the GR cast. We know that some people have a legitimate need, but so many more just have heard about them or "can't" wait in line. (Their word.) The reasons we have heard are as numerous as the people that ask for them. Peanut allergy. Pregnancy. Hemorrhoids. "My doctor said to ask for the front of the line card." "It's too hot." One of my favorites: "I have small children with me."

We as GR cast have been asked to simply write the card, by park management. Now, they are seeing the abuse and want to try to rein it in, so for the past few months we have been actively tracking the amount of GACs with Alternate Entrance we give out, and they, and the FP+ team, are shocked. It's as if they had no idea. But GR cast have known for months.

Did you know that, right along side the stolen and reused tickets sold on 192, you can BUY an "All-Day FastPass" for Disney parks?! Isn't that great! But I'm sure you can already guess what they are selling. Yes, the ticket sellers also SELL (which means another Guest SOLD) their used GAC. Disgusting.

Also, how do you think some of those "VIP tour services" that charge 1/2 what Disney's legitimate VIP tour service charge are able to provide "VIP access" to Disney attractions? Yep, the VIP tour operators have their guides get the Guests a GAC.

MK had a tour guide that had diabetes. He walked around, in the sun, all day giving the Keys to the Kingdom tour with an insulin pack strapped to him. He could not bring himself to ever write a GAC to a Guest with diabetes.

You may say I am making all this up, but I saw it, every day, for a year. It's truly disgusting what people will do and say to you to get one of these cards. I think the reason GR cast are so bitter about them is how often we know, in the bottom of our hearts, that a total stranger is lying to us about a disability, and it cheapens it for the people that really need the help. If I had a dollar for the amount of times I have heard "Yeah, hi, I need the front of the line pass for my kid who can't wait in lines" I could have retired months ago. I even had one person come up to me, say "My kid is retarded, I need a front of the line pass." WHO SAYS "MY CHILD IS RETARDED?! He couldn't keep a straight face when he said "retarded" either, which is a word I hate. Tell me this guy has a legitimate need for a GAC, go ahead and try. But, we've been taught "They ask, they get."

Disney truly does work miracles though, because I can't tell you how many times a Guest has come into GR, limping, hardly able to move, to get a GAC. And then, miraculously, as they exit the building, their debilitating condition has healed itself, as we watch them jump out and down, GAC in hand, and go meet the rest of their family.

That, folks, is magic.....

lazyboy97o

I am sure a CM or former CM can comment here, but is the benefit "unlimited" per ride? i.e. someone with an GAC could ride 1 ride as many times as they wanted (even if exiting and entering again?) I can understand 1 entrance per attraction, but do people enter multiple times per attraction per day using a GAC?
While it could be done now with the existing barcodes, I think the NextGen system could be put to help deal with the abuse situation. Instead of having physical Guest Assistance Cards, it could be a setting activated and associated with the RFID chip in the new admission media. Those in the party with the guest would all have to have their admission media tied together. So if you have an Annual Pass, it could be set for the year and set for your family members as well, but if you do not enter the park with them they will be denied the privilege. From there, this admission media could be used once for the party, so long as they are with the guest in need, to enter the attraction via the FastPass line. Rerides could be offered after a certain amount of time using some sort of formula derived from the currently offered FastPass return window, FastPass+ reservations and the current wait in the Stand-By line. This would not tackle the hurdle of those without need, but it helps prevent the privilege from becoming an unlimited front-of-line pass and removes some of the individual decision making. You get one entry and maybe a second, if you want more utilize FastPass and/or FastPass+.

Fractal514

So, out of curiosity, how does he manage to walk around the park all day? I would think the heat of just getting TO a ride would be enough of a killer. Would you use it on lines that are indoors, like Space Mountain? Just trying to get a better understanding of this particular need (to avoid heat).

InLikeFlynn

Sorry to run with the issue a bit but....Since there is someone from GR here I have always wanted to ask this about the GAC. Is there anything that can be used for people who have issues with the sun? Not a heat issue, but literally an allergy to over sun exposure...or sunscreen, we've never figured it out (not the ped, not the dermatologist, they don't know). My poor dd comes home every trip swollen and red, and we usually spend a week or two battling the ensuing eczema that follows her burns because she is allergic to all types of sunscreen, but without it she also reacts almost as badly to sun exposure. It prevents us from doing things like waiting for the daytime parade in sunny spots, waiting in character lines that aren't shaded....we also avoid summer trips (she roasts in 20 minutes) and we carry an umbrella most days to help...we'll never visit a waterpark I'm sure.
I just always wondered if there was anything offered to at least allow for shady waiting areas, or faster line access for situations where there is no shaded option. We were so bummed when characters were removed from the EMH nights because we've always had to tour the parks late for her benefit.

Part of me has always feared if we asked for anything we'd be treated rudely but it is something that is an actual problem we deal with every day.

this is typical of what she looks like after sun exposure or attempted sunscreen use.

sunexposure_zpse9174797.jpg

wr8055.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom