Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jencor

I say bring on the change, we will adjust to whatever the change is. My wife is handicapped and we do not get a GAC. The wheel chair she is in makes it obvious she is handicapped and on those rides where the lines use steps, we are guided to whatever entrance they have set up, otherwise we wait in line like everyone else. Those that need it I hope still have access to it, those that do not may wait in line with us.
I hate waiting in line like everyone else and planning our trip at less busy times is our way of handling it. I am more concerned on what changes they make to fastpass, because that is where we save time.

Tom Morrow

You are right it would be great if there were some hard and some of the people on here that are saying it is abused cannot provide those numbers!!!! They only make assumptions and you no what assumptions are???? This thread can keep getting bumped by us for the next ten years, but there will still be no numbers to justify their argument. Just bitter people that like to argue.
So I guess people who work first hand with this stuff every day isn't enough for you? People taking notice of the laughable number of people who have cards isn't enough for you? Maybe the article in the very post in the thread wasn't enough for you?

As if Disney is ever officially going to release the numbers and state "So it turns out that 25% (yes I made up that number) of you are using these cards and since there is no way to determine who is legitimately using the cards, we are changing our policies." Give me a break.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Changes are already rolling out. Two week windows for all Guest Assistance Cards. There's more coming too.
So far, I can get behind that but I don't think it solves the problem. It just means that the people need to keep returning to Guest relations.

SoupBone

Don't want to downplay anybodies power but, overweight people can use and access the GAC whether you like it or not. However, you will notice, based on the overwhelming commentary of how everyone in WDW is overweight, how about some props for the fact that a very few percentage of overweight people do use them.

If I live for another 100 years I will never be able to comprehend why all of you svelte, six packed bodied (yea, right) individuals have such a fixation of how fat other people are. Whatever they are or whatever they did to get that way, is of no concern of anyone else. If you think for a minute that by commenting you will be able to convince all overweight people to run for the gym, it's not going to happen. Y'all are just gonna have to be content with just feeling superior to all the "big" people.

You sure did jump on top of a rather large soapbox from my comment. I'm not a "svelte, six packed bodied" individual, nor have I ever claimed to be one, but I also do not require the use of an ECV due to obesity. I also don't have some superior feeling over overweight people either. I'm hoping this post was directed to the people you feel act like this an not my post, because if so you're really reading too much into it.

My post is to make a point (which has been made many times in this thread) that if Disney doesn't do something about the people abusing the GAC (including obese people), then the MK will begin to look like scenes from Wall-E pretty soon.

EDIT: And just for the record, I've always been for the people that truly need the GAC and I've said in this very thread that it's sad that people abuse it. My comments about obesity were really sarcasm that apparently doesn't show well through type. I've seen far more abuses of the GAC from people that were not obese. Matter of fact, I think obesity is really a whole other topic as far as the GAC is concerned. I think it's more of an ECV debate rather than a GAC card one. As you pointed out, they already have access to the GAC.

TP2000

So far, I can get behind that but I don't think it solves the problem. It just means that the people need to keep returning to Guest relations.

This change took place at Disneyland a few weeks ago too; no longer will they issue you a GAC good for several months.

What this tells me is that they are cycling out all the "old" GAC passes in preparation of rolling out a new process. They need to flush the system of all the GAC passes so that when they roll out the new system they don't have lots of people wandering around with old passes that are technically still valid.

It wouldn't surprise me if they stopped doing the two-week long passes as they get close to the implementation day for the new system. That could be a big tip-off that the new system is two weeks away once they stop issuing two-week passes in place of one-day GAC passes only. If the new system begins in August, I wouldn't be surprised to see them stop issuing two-week passes in late July as implementation day draws near.

What this also tells me is that this is a new process that will be rolled out on both coasts at the same time. The New York Post did their story on GAC abuse at WDW, but The Today Show did their broader and more impactful story on GAC abuse at Disneyland. Something is coming to both coasts, it would appear to this casual observer.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
At WDW
This change took place at Disneyland a few weeks ago too; no longer will they issue you a GAC good for several months.

What this tells me is that they are cycling out all the "old" GAC passes in preparation of rolling out a new process. They need to flush the system of all the GAC passes so that when they roll out the new system they don't have lots of people wandering around with old passes that are technically still valid.

It wouldn't surprise me if they stopped doing the two-week long passes as they get close to the implementation day for the new system. That could be a big tip-off that the new system is two weeks away once they stop issuing two-week passes in place of one-day GAC passes only. If the new system begins in August, I wouldn't be surprised to see them stop issuing two-week passes in late July as implementation day draws near.

What this also tells me is that this is a new process that will be rolled out on both coasts at the same time. The New York Post did their story on GAC abuse at WDW, but The Today Show did their broader and more impactful story on GAC abuse at Disneyland. Something is coming to both coasts, it would appear to this casual observer.

At WDW GAC passes have been limited to 14 days for a while now, can't say how long exactly but at least 18 months. I would bet in the future they will be limited to your length of stay attached to your resort pass/MYW ticket. If your ticket is non-expiring or AP, 14 days. I am willing to bet they do not want the long lines at GS every morning in every park to pass out daily GAC cards, it would be extremely time consuming for cast members and would also impact anyone that needs to use GS for anything else like purchasing Disney Dollars, etc.

Goofyernmost

You sure did jump on top of a rather large soapbox from my comment. I'm not a "svelte, six packed bodied" individual, nor have I ever claimed to be one, but I also do not require the use of an ECV due to obesity. I also don't have some superior feeling over overweight people either. I'm hoping this post was directed to the people you feel act like this an not my post, because if so you're really reading too much into it.

My post is to make a point (which has been made many times in this thread) that if Disney doesn't do something about the people abusing the GAC (including obese people), then the MK will begin to look like scenes from Wall-E pretty soon.

EDIT: And just for the record, I've always been for the people that truly need the GAC and I've said in this very thread that it's sad that people abuse it. My comments about obesity were really sarcasm that apparently doesn't show well through type. I've seen far more abuses of the GAC from people that were not obese. Matter of fact, I think obesity is really a whole other topic as far as the GAC is concerned. I think it's more of an ECV debate rather than a GAC card one. As you pointed out, they already have access to the GAC.
OK, I overreacted, but, in fairness you did single out obese people as if everyone you see use a scooter OR with a GAC card, (two completely different topics) are generally not in need.

I did read it as if you were singling out obese people as disgusting specimens unworthy of needing help with mobility. Otherwise why would you use the obese example and site it as sarcasm. Sarcasm of what? I see it as a situation where obesity is a real situation, not a made up one like so many able-bodied individuals do to get front of line entrance. It is that obesity is a real problem for a lot of people and they are acutely aware of how they are perceived by those in better physical condition. My comment was merely to take the obese factor out of the equation and bring it to a more realistic definition of people with mobility problems, whatever the reason. Also to point out that because someone is using a scooter does not automatically mean that they are carrying a GAC card.

I went to WDW with a lady that was considerably overweight and had to use a scooter because she just had back surgery and couldn't walk or stand for long periods. The back problem being a major contributor to the weight problem. She never used a GAC or even requested special treatment. Where she was able she was right in line with everyone else.

arko

At WDW

At WDW GAC passes have been limited to 14 days for a while now, can't say how long exactly but at least 18 months. I would bet in the future they will be limited to your length of stay attached to your resort pass/MYW ticket. If your ticket is non-expiring or AP, 14 days. I am willing to bet they do not want the long lines at GS every morning in every park to pass out daily GAC cards, it would be extremely time consuming for cast members and would also impact anyone that needs to use GS for anything else like purchasing Disney Dollars, etc.

This is incorrect we use a GAC for my son with autism and are AP and the last one we got in May was for 2 months. While this may have changed since it has not been 18 months

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Wow, when we were there in both December 2011 and December 2012 they made us return to GS to add the extra days beyond our first 14 days.

Maybe you were lucky or we were not...

startraveler

FYI For the last few years my GAC has been issued for length of stay. We do usually stay in the 10-12 day range. And I did have an AP. I have had the card issued in different places and that was consistent. Seems most have a unique experience when getting these things.

asianway

Looking at the larger picture as to what a cluster-%#@$ management at WDW is, once again, it took something escalating to the national press to do something about it.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
My autistic brother hasn't had an AP for several years, but when he has gone with us we have always asked for and received a length of stay GAC, we have never asked for one that would extend for additional trips. It's really just step one of our trip.

shuflemstr

When I was there in May in May, I stopped by Guest Relations to renew my TIW card and get a new GAC. The new GAC issued was for two months also

SoupBone

OK, I overreacted, but, in fairness you did single out obese people as if everyone you see use a scooter OR with a GAC card, (two completely different topics) are generally not in need.

I did read it as if you were singling out obese people as disgusting specimens unworthy of needing help with mobility. Otherwise why would you use the obese example and site it as sarcasm. Sarcasm of what? I see it as a situation where obesity is a real situation, not a made up one like so many able-bodied individuals do to get front of line entrance. It is that obesity is a real problem for a lot of people and they are acutely aware of how they are perceived by those in better physical condition. My comment was merely to take the obese factor out of the equation and bring it to a more realistic definition of people with mobility problems, whatever the reason. Also to point out that because someone is using a scooter does not automatically mean that they are carrying a GAC card.

I went to WDW with a lady that was considerably overweight and had to use a scooter because she just had back surgery and couldn't walk or stand for long periods. The back problem being a major contributor to the weight problem. She never used a GAC or even requested special treatment. Where she was able she was right in line with everyone else.

Obesity is an illness as in it creates major health issues for people. The fact is that obesity, for the most part, is a completely preventable disease (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1790820/). And let's be real, a Disney vacation is one that requires a certain amount of physical stamina. Disney kills my feet (I have high arches) so I always try and prepare myself before a vacation. After the first day of walking around the parks, I feel like I've been hit by a train. It's the cost of taking a vacation that requires certain physical demands to be met.

And again, I'm not saying obese people shouldn't be using the GAC if they truly need it, but the abuse from every single medical angle known to man is killing it for people that legitimately need the card. Those people are the ones that suffer and will continue to suffer, unless Disney makes some major changes to the GAC.

EDIT: Oh and I'm sorry if you feel like I've singled out obesity, that was not my intention. You and another poster were already on that topic, so I jumped in. Like I said, I'm against ANY abuse of the GAC, regardless of who's doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom