News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

aladdin2007

So according to insiders, it'll be something that would fit really well that is IP based.....I can only think of Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood from the list of many UK set Disney films. Those are based on real British folklore.

I think its been said somewhere here that Brave was also considered, even though its more Scottish in tone. I can't see them doing much with classic IP's anymore sadly, unless its a biggie like Poppins, or Alice I guess.

Haymarket2008

I think its been said somewhere here that Brave was also considered, even though its more Scottish in tone. I can't see them doing much with classic IP's anymore sadly, unless its a biggie like Poppins.

You're probably right. One can hope, though. I think a Brave dark ride would be gorgeous, but I don't think it would be the best aesthetic fit for the pavilion. That being said, Toad, Dalmatians, and Poppins do fit the existing aesthetic.

nickys

Premium Member
I think its been said somewhere here that Brave was also considered, even though its more Scottish in tone. I can't see them doing much with classic IP's anymore sadly, unless its a biggie like Poppins.

Eh? "More Scottish in tone". Scotland are in the UK you know! For now! Unless we vote out..... ;) So why wouldn't it fit as well? At the moment the UK is represented by Hampton Court Palace and a red phone box lol! And the shops. And a pub, cleverly designed as a 3 in 1, and very apt. But they could do with broadening the representation a bit. Brave would be great.

Capsin4

So according to insiders, it'll be something that would fit really well that is IP based.....I can only think of Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood from the list of many UK set Disney films. Those are based on real British folklore.
What does "fit well" mean? IP clearly rooted in the UK or IP that fits with the pavillion as well as the country? One of the points made about BatB vs Rat was that, although BatB might be a preffered IP, rat fits so much better in the France Pavillion. Unless changes come to the pavillion, Pary Poppins seems the best fit for the pavillion itself. A carousel in the park or an indoor attraction entered from Cherry Tree Lane.

EricsBiscuit

Maybe a walk through of a sailing ship. I always thought that adding the Columbia to WS made sense because the ship was the first American one to circumnavigate the globe. But anyway I would love a walkthrough of a sailing ship or any ship in general. An old British dreadnaught would be badass to IMO.

Princess Leia

Martin has said it won't be a carousel or a Ferris Wheel, and that the attraction is a C/D, so spinners should be out (there's still a tiny part of me that is worried, looking at how Toy Story Land is turning out).

In terms of what the general public would think of when they heard thought of British Disney movies, I think they'd be in the following order:
  1. Peter Pan
  2. Mary Poppins
  3. Alice in Wonderland (she spends most of the film in Wonderland)
  4. Brave
  5. 101 Dalmatians
And then a tie at the bottom for Mr. Toad, The Great Mouse Detective, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Sword in the Stone, and Robin Hood. Don't get me wrong, I love B&B and Robin Hood, and Robin Hood & Prince John used to roam the parks when I was little, but Disney has done very little to promote these 5 films recently. I doubt that Sword and the Stone will get anything outside of the sword pulling in MK.

Haymarket2008

What does "fit well" mean? IP clearly rooted in the UK or IP that fits with the pavillion as well as the country? One of the points made about BatB vs Rat was that, although BatB might be a preffered IP, rat fits so much better in the France Pavillion. Unless changes come to the pavillion, Pary Poppins seems the best fit for the pavillion itself. A carousel in the park or an indoor attraction entered from Cherry Tree Lane.

I mean that the IP fits into the aesthetic of the pavilion it will be housed in & actually takes place in the country. Example: Cherry Tree Lane in Mary Poppins/the London of 101 Dalmations/the London & countryside of Mr. Toad would fit beautifully. Whereas Brave might be too big a departure from the look of the pavilion. FWIW, I prefer Ratatouille over BatB in the France pavilion for a multitude of reasons. BatB really would not fit at all in Epcot. But that is a separate tangent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom