News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

PiratesoftheHM

This project confuses me. Is it an attraction in name only and is more like a museum-type experience or Swiss Family Robinson?

The only cheap A or B ticket thing I could see them doing that would fit is maybe a carousel - maybe a double decker one like TDS? I don't know. And then there is an IP option or a no-IP option (Poppins?). Any other kind of traditional spinner or IP-themed flat ride would be bizarre to me.

aladdin2007

This project confuses me. Is it an attraction in name only and is more like a museum-type experience or Swiss Family Robinson?

The only cheap A or B ticket thing I could see them doing that would fit is maybe a carousel - maybe a double decker one like TDS? I don't know. And then there is an IP option or a no-IP option (Poppins?). Any other kind of traditional spinner or IP-themed flat ride would be bizarre to me.

bolded, by the sound of things.

ToTBellHop

I'm going to be purposely-vague and non-commital, but there are plenty of flats that would be fine, Disney just usually avoids flats due to capacity concerns, which would not really be an issue in World Showcase. As long as they don't market it like Frozen Ever After.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm going to be purposely-vague and non-commital, but there are plenty of flats that would be fine, Disney just usually avoids flats due to capacity concerns, which would not really be an issue in World Showcase. As long as they don't market it like Frozen Ever After.

Then they need to chose a not-so-popular IP.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks Carousel!!

SteamboatJoe

I know its been mentioned but I honestly could see them doing a Mary Poppins "carousel" where there is no roof and the horses appear to be roaming free through the English countryside. Flat, relatively quick to install, culturally appropriate, and would not seem terribly out of place. The only downside, and a big one at that, would be capacity.

maryPoppinsCarouselHorses.jpg

ToTBellHop

I know its been mentioned but I honestly could see them doing a Mary Poppins "carousel" where there is no roof and the horses appear to be roaming free through the English countryside. Flat, relatively quick to install, culturally appropriate, and would not seem terribly out of place. The only downside, and a big one at that, would be capacity.

If a carousel can work in the middle of Fantasyland, it can work in a secluded spot in World Showcase. Plenty of people never even manage to waddle all the way back there.

Princess Leia

If a carousel can work in the middle of Fantasyland, it can work in a secluded spot in World Showcase. Plenty of people never even manage to waddle all the way back there.
No rides for the kiddos back there.

For better or for worse, the addition of a French ride is going to bring a lot of people over to that corner (and not just for eating and shopping), so I'm not sure how long any UK attraction would stay hidden. Unless Disney chooses to overhype it, of course. If it is a carousel, I think we might see 60 minute waits in its first week if Disney promotes it as something more exciting.

ToTBellHop

No rides for the kiddos back there.

For better or for worse, the addition of a French ride is going to bring a lot of people over to that corner (and not just for eating and shopping), so I'm not sure how long any UK attraction would stay hidden. Unless Disney chooses to overhype it, of course. If it is a carousel, I think we might see 60 minute waits in its first week if Disney promotes it as something more exciting.
You can literally see Prince Charming's carousel through the castle that Cindy won in the divorce, and it manages.

People will only wait so long to ride a bouncy horse before they get beer instead. While their kids color a Duffy with dried-up, bacteria-coated markers, of course.

RobbinsDad

It could be a carousel of course, or another small footprint ride like a spinner, but for some reason I think the more likely attraction would be a show. Is there room for a small indoor theater in the hedge maze space?

SteamboatJoe

It could be a carousel of course, or another small footprint ride like a spinner, but for some reason I think the more likely attraction would be a show. Is there room for a small indoor theater in the hedge maze space?

There is a small children's hedge garden and a gazebo back there that I'm not sure has a lot going on.

PiratesoftheHM

There's some actual open space to work with, too. We won't mind a few more trees leaving, right?

Exactly I could see them just extending the bounds of that park-like section and make it seem like a London park. Thus, the carousel could even be non-IP, which has been hinted at here. Think of it more as an atmospheric ride than an actual attraction that every guest is going to be clamoring to ride. Something for Grandma to take the kiddies on after Ratatouille and only have to wait 1 or 2 ride cycles while the parents get schwasted.

Also, no IP would make it less likely to garner too long of lines for a flat ride. And it would be a small and pathetic bone to throw the EPCOT Center fans if one of the only new non-IP additions was a London Park Carousel, but I could see it.

TabulaRasa

Original Poster

A non-traditional Mary Poppins carousel would be pretty amazing. I love the idea of no roof, and having the horses appear to be roaming the countryside. I think it would really work in the hidden part of the UK pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom