Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

CaptainAmerica

The whole reason the Aladdin characters are in the Morocco Pavilion is because of their association with Islamic culture. It is a larger, shared culture. Morocco may not be in Arabia, but it is part of the Arab world. The country is a member of the Arab League, Arabic is an official language and the ethnic composition of the country is 99% Arab-Berber. Nothing about the Disney film specifically invokes Iraq, so your claim of cultural sensitivity is ignoring centuries old cultural connections across the Islamic world in favor of a 20th century British political boundary.
Here's the thing... I agree with you. But most people don't understand a word of what you just said. The headlines from the Huffington Post will be abut how Disney is racist and Islamophobic because they treated Arab people as if they were all the same.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I would definitely disagree that India would be a stronger connection, either historically or culturally given the relationship of the countries. Australia would be an equal, but they'd probably just make it an outback-dingo-kangaroo fiesta which wouldn't flow as nicely.
But think of the Outback Steakhouse franchise opportunity that would present!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
In light of the current political climate there is no way Russia is ever built as long as Putin is in power.
Money talks. I would expect that if Putin & Co. ponied up some construction costs and a guaranteed sponsorship for, say, 10 years or so, they'd be welcomed with open arms, bread, salt and vodka...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Arendelle's architecture and art style was Norway-inspired. Agrabah was specifically inspired by a place that is not Morocco.

It's like Big Hero 6. Frozen in Norway would be like putting Big Hero 6 in Japan or California Adventure. Not technically correct, but thematically consistent. Aladdin in Morocco would be like putting Big Hero 6 in China. Wholly inappropriate and borderline racist.
Perhaps your microscope is focused a bit too tightly. This is a theme park, not the United Nations.

MayorLionheart

Keep reading. It's not my microscope that Disney is concerned with. It's the click-bait headlines of the Fake News media.

The purpose of my initial post had very little to do with Aladdin and more with the fact that I wouldn't be surprised if they create one larger show-building for multiple rides/attractions for the sake of money, a la Pandora. France/Morocco would be a perfect location to do so given their proximity and the empty lot(s) between them.

On the note of Aladdin, it's wrong to say Disney hasn't already incorporated the Aladdin IP into the Morocco pavilion, notably through the meet and greet and merchandise- especially pins (the World Showcase/Character pin sets almost always feature Jasmine or Aladdin representing Morocco). Whether this is good or bad with respect to the identity of the WS has been hashed out for far too long and far too unproductively ever since Frozen Ever After was announced; no one will ever agree but it is clear Disney is going forward with incorporating IP into WS. So, at this point, it might be foolish to reject any notion that Disney would be so against expanding this IP presence for the reasons you stated. Not much more to discuss here....

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The purpose of my initial post had very little to do with Aladdin and more with the fact that I wouldn't be surprised if they create one larger show-building for multiple rides/attractions for the sake of money, a la Pandora. France/Morocco would be a perfect location to do so given their proximity and the empty lot(s) between them.
And who knows -- with the historic connection between Morocco and France, maybe they'd even set up a random "cross-ride experience" where ride vehicles from the Agrabah ride would cross-over into the Ratatouille ride and vice versa... that would be interesting, wouldn't it?

Rebel_

And who knows -- with the historic connection between Morocco and France, maybe they'd even set up a random "cross-ride experience" where ride vehicles from the Agrabah ride would cross-over into the Ratatouille ride and vice versa... that would be interesting, wouldn't it?

It'll be all fun and games until the magic bands from riders on the cross-over trigger messages for the Ratatouille pax.

EricsBiscuit

Pretty cool that the planned a rear projected ballroom. My dad and I own a 50000 square foot banquet hall in Tampa and we're currently building a ballroom with rear projected walls to give the guests the feel that they're wherever They want to be. Like Paris or something. Maybe they had that idea in mind with the restraunt.

If anyone cares to see the website for the business it's here: http://theeventfactory.com

HauntedMansionFLA

Really? I always thought the other three parks could use more attractions to take some of the load off the MK.
EPCOT is the one park that could really take the stress off the MK with its size and capacity. Disney really needs to make an investment in this park and bring it back to its former glory. DAK and DHS are getting their proper investments and now it's time to focus on this park. It will be interesting to see what direction management takes in the next few years. I know there are a lot of people who are afraid it will be turned into MK 2.0. Future World really needs updating. The next D23 will be interesting.

Last edited:

theRIOT

No rides sadly. But there are plans.

I expect the buildings to a certain degree - all being well - be the wonderful, open and light spaces they used to be.

Might even get another extension too...

That would be one of the most wonderful things for Epcot.
I would to see it closer to it's opening day look.

DisneyDaver

People typically have a built-in bias against recent things. Folks don't accept that Anna and Elsa are part of the canon now. In 2040, little girls won't know that Cinderella, Ariel, and Elsa don't "go together." The films of today are the classics of tomorrow.

It may be a lot sooner than 2040. Last week my 20 month old picked out an Elsa doll at the Disney Store last week, calls her Princess Elsa and plays with her along with her Cinderella doll. I will expose her to the movies over the next year and I suspect she will grow up seeing Cinderella, Ariel, and Elsa as all going together as princesses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom