Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

CaptainAmerica

Thanks. Well, apparently they will stick their toe in, but not much else.
You can manage it with a Meet and Greet because the character is just "visiting" the place. Like the European princesses "visiting" Tiana at Port Orleans. But an actual attraction would be bringing the place, Agrabah, to Morocco.

orky8

Aladdin is not set in Morocco. Frozen is not set in Norway. That would be ten times worse than Frozen. That would be the same as Frozen. Arendelle is a fictional place that kind of feels Norwegian-ish. Agrabah is a fictional place that kind of feels Moroccan-ish. Agrabah is not in Morocco, period. Arendelle is not in Norway, period.

Seems exactly the same to me. You didn't actually make any credible arguments.

Princess Leia

Not to get into this conversation (again), but Morocco still cares about their pavilion at Epcot. If I'm wrong, correct me, but I think that the Moroccan government still sponsors it, so unless they want an Aladdin ride, I don't see one happening.

wdrive

Which they don't.

We've been waiting for the full dining theatre since 1984 as it is.

Wasn't suggesting that they did want it.
Although in some alternate universe if Paris had built an Aladdin attraction instead of Ratatouille I'm quietly confident they'd be happy going with Aladdin too.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This almost isn't even worth a response.

If you had actually read my post, ya know, the part you didn't quote, I was speaking to far in the future when something like this would happen. Here's the verbatim quote: "by the time we get to the point where they may NEED those spots, a M&G location will likely be incredibly disposable"

That's not starting rumors, that's fact.

By the time they NEED something, then anything is on the table to go: A pavilion's extra restaurant or shops, Canada's half-used pad with a stay-off-the-grass garden; the Odyssey building; everyone's hated version of Figment and the Imagination pavilion; the empty Showcase plaza; Africa-ish land.

Sommerhus, minus the M&G, is as authentic Norwegian as any of the buildings in any of the other national pavilions are authentic representations of those countries. It'll be really really low on the list to go when the time comes that they have filled in seven (eight? nine? ten?) other spots and they NEED one more place for a new national pavilion.

And by then, you'll have a new generation crying how they grew up visiting the Sommerhus all their life and how dare Disney demolish for some new country they don't care about.

CaptainAmerica

Seems exactly the same to me. You didn't actually make any credible arguments.
Arendelle's architecture and art style was Norway-inspired. Agrabah was specifically inspired by a place that is not Morocco.

It's like Big Hero 6. Frozen in Norway would be like putting Big Hero 6 in Japan or California Adventure. Not technically correct, but thematically consistent. Aladdin in Morocco would be like putting Big Hero 6 in China. Wholly inappropriate and borderline racist.

orky8

Arendelle's architecture and art style was Norway-inspired. Agrabah was specifically inspired by a place that is not Morocco.

It's like Big Hero 6. Frozen in Norway would be like putting Big Hero 6 in Japan or California Adventure. Not technically correct, but thematically consistent. Aladdin in Morocco would be like putting Big Hero 6 in China. Wholly inappropriate and borderline racist.

I've never heard that Arendelle was inspired by Norway, specifically. Big Hero 6 was overtly based on San Francisco with a dash of Tokyo. The city was called San Fransokyo and was mapped geographically like the San Francisco Bay Area.

I would liken it more to Arendelle being Scandinavian-inspired, and Agrabah being Middle-eastern or Arabian inspired. Now, where you are 100% correct is Morocco is not in the Middle East or on the Arabian peninsula (but most Americans couldn't find the middle east on the map anyway). But Morocco in many ways resembles the the description from Arabian nights from a thematic point of view. And if Jasmine was as hot as Elsa (I mean in popularity, not feminine physique), Disney would make it happen.

Mind, you, NOT that I am advocating for this. Just saying, I fail to see how it's ten times worse than Frozen going into Norway. Maybe twice as bad, at most.

lazyboy97o

Theme is not just aesthetic and setting.

lazyboy97o

I'm not talking about theme in this case. I'm talking about cultural sensitivity.
The whole reason the Aladdin characters are in the Morocco Pavilion is because of their association with Islamic culture. It is a larger, shared culture. Morocco may not be in Arabia, but it is part of the Arab world. The country is a member of the Arab League, Arabic is an official language and the ethnic composition of the country is 99% Arab-Berber. Nothing about the Disney film specifically invokes Iraq, so your claim of cultural sensitivity is ignoring centuries old cultural connections across the Islamic world in favor of a 20th century British political boundary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom