Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

ToTBellHop

I'd assume the Rat over here would cost a bit less than it did initially, but even so, 150 million euros ($160 million would be today's US equivalent) seems reasonable for what I've seen in the videos. An E-ticket it's not, but it seems like a much, much better use of resources than hardly any of WDW's recent additions (Mine Train, Frozen, Little Mermaid) and even ones on the way (looking at you, Toy Story), on top of being a solid D-Ticket with capacity to match.

If this is what's on the way to Epcot, I honestly don't see a single negative (continued cartoonification of the park aside).
Rat isn't an E ticket? By what metric?

Jones14

Rat isn't an E ticket? By what metric?
Just my very subjective one. I've never ridden it, so my opinion is limited in terms of what I can judge, but it doesn't look like a ride that I'd put on the same level as Tower of Terror, or Splash Mountain, or American Adventure. I guess one could argue that the tech puts it up there, but the ride doesn't (to me) seem to be aimed at being a headliner. For me, an E-ticket is the ride you put on the guide map, and a ride that one would tell their friends to experience if they could only do one ride or show at a park. Rat doesn't seem to be shooting for that title to me.

I don't think that's a bad thing, though. I don't think Epcot needs a high-capacity E-ticket right now. It just needs to fix all of the ones it already has towards the front of the park, and some fun new attractions on the scale and quality levels of Ratatouille and Frozen (although in my ideal world they'd be free of IP, but who are we kidding at this point) throughout the World Showcase.

Mike S

Why is that some big caveat you care about though? It's not your money, I don't understand why so many people concern themselves with how much attractions cost.
Because the more money is wasted the less likely it is that further projects could be greenlit and not cut to shreds due to how "expensive" the previous ones were.
Because the more the attractions cost for Disney, the more the tickets, resorts and everything else will cost for guests.

As expensive as it has gotten recently, I care very much about keeping future price increases to a minimum.
Also this.
High costs reduce the willingness to invest in attractions as it skews the cost-attendance ratios on which attractions are measured.
That too.
"Little Mermaid is a terrible execution of a property that had so much potential. In no way would I consider it to be a good use of resources by the company."

Perfectly said and 100% true!
Disney itself thinks this too. How many times have they gone in to fix it since it opened at DCA?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Disney itself thinks this too. How many times have they gone in to fix it since it opened at DCA?
Something to the tune of 50% of its initial cost. It's a shame the industry as a whole is so tight lipped and afraid to honestly discuss failures. Learning why The Little Mermaid didn't work when it had so much going for it would provide valuable insights into project development and how it can go astray.

Cesar R M

Is that the Wiki price? Way too much. Roughly $150m euros in whatever exchange rate you want to use.

That included R&D and the construction of a lavish self contained area (which Epcot would not get as such) plus the inbuilt TSR (which Epcot would not get)

Assuming it came to Epcot of course.
so... technically.. it should cost way less to clone it to EPCOT (NO R&D, No big building construction, no restaurant changes.. no extra areas to build) ?

Cesar R M

I always rather enjoyed Maelstrom. I was actually surprised by the negativity towards the ride when it closed.
Well, it was badly maintained If I remember correctly. Someone mentioned heavy mold and issues with the water.
Plus the horrible capacity (didnt help that FEA was actually the same)

rle4lunch

You're right so instead of improving the ride we can just through in the hottest princess flick! Problem solved! Thanks but no thanks

I'm not advocating that Frozen is better at all. It was Disney being lazy and everyone knows it. Is it worse than its predecessor, no. Is it better, yes. Only for the reason that it's showcasing some newer tech that many legacy attractions need to be updated with. ALTHOUGH, the faces are a bit wonky and creepy on it.

Princess Leia

If this is what's on the way to Epcot, I honestly don't see a single negative (continued cartoonification of the park aside).
That side of the park needs something new (it actually needs a lot of new attractions- Imagineers, anytime you want to start working on Japan & Germany, that would be wonderful). If you start on the Canadian side of the park, you have to go past 5 pavilions (2 have movies-Canada and France) before you get to the first non-film attraction at the America pavilion. Do you have kids who are restless and want to ride something? You have to keep walking past another 3 pavilions (one with a movie) to get to Norway and Mexico. And because Norway has the newest ride, it has some of the longest wait times in all of Disney World.

Adding a ride to France would be incredibly beneficial in balancing the wait times. Yes, it would probably have some of the longest wait times in the park (like FEA and 7DMT with their 'new' factor), but it would prevent bottlenecking from happening on one side of the WS. This is incredibly optimistic, but maybe the Imagineers would finally take a look at expanding and adding other areas.

flyerjab

I shouldnt comment further at the mo, just to reiterate I was quite surprised with the proposal.

Well, maybe now we can start to surmise what Chapek meant by dream big. IF this happens in the France Pavilion, I will be interested to see if what Chapek said translates at least into rides/attractions/locations that we will really like. If anything, at least @marni1971 was surprised by the proposal (I am assuming in not quite a negative way).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom