Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

Oriolesmagic

Is that the Wiki price? Way too much. Roughly $150m euros in whatever exchange rate you want to use.

That included R&D and the construction of a lavish self contained area (which Epcot would not get as such) plus the inbuilt TSR (which Epcot would not get)

Assuming it came to Epcot of course.

I'm going to go ahead and blame the lack of coffee for this one, but I'm drawing a blank. TSR?

Oriolesmagic

Table service restaraunt....I think. I have to assume that is what it is.

I'm sure you're right. Similar to the self-contained area Marni was talking about, the existing France pavilion would render any additional restaurants rather unnecessary.

At the heart of it, I'd actually love to see Ratatouille come to EPCOT as long as it's not at the expense of Impressions.

culturenthrills

I'm sure you're right. Similar to the self-contained area Marni was talking about, the existing France pavilion would render any additional restaurants rather unnecessary.

At the heart of it, I'd actually love to see Ratatouille come to EPCOT as long as it's not at the expense of Impressions.

Yeah, I am assuming it would go in the expansion pad next to the pavillion. To me it would dumb to take out Impressions esp considering how much traffic the ride would bring into the pavillion and ruin the atmosphere.

rle4lunch

I sure as hell did. And enjoyed it every time.

I don't have to run from Test Track to Soarin.

Don't get me wrong, we make Epcot into an all day thing, but I could never bring myself to willfully ride Maelstrom (after my initial ride) on my own. I was dragged onto it by others who either a) never been on it, or b) liked it for some reason.

World Showcase is wonderful. We take it all in. We've been to DL/WDW probably close to 50 times, so we don't get bamboozled by the 'need' to be first on something. If we really want to ride something, we single rider it and then, if it merits riding as a family, then we'll do it.

Maelstrom and GF were/are blots that sullied the WS experience. Frozen isn't any different. It was an 'okay' refurb of a subpar ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Don't get me wrong, we make Epcot into an all day thing, but I could never bring myself to willfully ride Maelstrom (after my initial ride) on my own. I was dragged onto it by others who either a) never been on it, or b) liked it for some reason.

World Showcase is wonderful. We take it all in. We've been to DL/WDW probably close to 50 times, so we don't get bamboozled by the 'need' to be first on something. If we really want to ride something, we single rider it and then, if it merits riding as a family, then we'll do it.

Maelstrom and GF were/are blots that sullied the WS experience. Frozen isn't any different. It was an 'okay' refurb of a subpar ride.
That's fine. Life - and these boards - would be boring if everyone felt the same.

rle4lunch

That's fine. Life - and these boards - would be boring if everyone felt the same.

Truer words have never been spoken. Most of the time I just get my e-popcorn out and enjoy reading the fervent pitched people getting all antsy in the pantsy over a new $7 ice cream cone or how they couldn't believe how much they paid to stay at Poly (meanwhile, their countdown clock to going back to Poly clicks away)...

Kevin_W

Is that the Wiki price? Way too much. Roughly $150m euros in whatever exchange rate you want to use.

That included R&D and the construction of a lavish self contained area (which Epcot would not get as such) plus the inbuilt TSR (which Epcot would not get)

Assuming it came to Epcot of course.

Thanks for the correction. I also wondered if that was just the ride or the entire area including the ride/restaurant/guest shop. Notwithstanding the ride, that is by far the nicest area of the Studios park. That price for the total is probably reasonable.

Jones14

I'd assume the Rat over here would cost a bit less than it did initially, but even so, 150 million euros ($160 million would be today's US equivalent) seems reasonable for what I've seen in the videos. An E-ticket it's not, but it seems like a much, much better use of resources than hardly any of WDW's recent additions (Mine Train, Frozen, Little Mermaid) and even ones on the way (looking at you, Toy Story), on top of being a solid D-Ticket with capacity to match.

If this is what's on the way to Epcot, I honestly don't see a single negative (continued cartoonification of the park aside).

Ron Swanson

I'd assume the Rat over here would cost a bit less than it did initially, but even so, 150 million euros ($160 million would be today's US equivalent) seems reasonable for what I've seen in the videos. An E-ticket it's not, but it seems like a much, much better use of resources than hardly any of WDW's recent additions (Mine Train, Frozen, Little Mermaid) and even ones on the way (looking at you, Toy Story), on top of being a solid D-Ticket with capacity to match.

If this is what's on the way to Epcot, I honestly don't see a single negative (continued cartoonification of the park aside).
I agree. I prefer the rat to batb even though I assume that ride is of a higher caliber. But this is an interesting scenario I wonder what the outcome, or if they will even reach one will be.

Kevin_W

An E-ticket it's not, but it seems like a much, much better use of resources than hardly any of WDW's recent additions (Mine Train, Frozen, Little Mermaid) and even ones on the way (looking at you, Toy Story), on top of being a solid D-Ticket with capacity to match.

I'd be quite happy with it in Epcot as well, but I wouldn't put it as a better use of resources than 7DMT - I strongly prefer that ride and the aesthetics that it gives to Fantasyland. for me, it' a bout no par with the Little Mermaid if you include the mermaid ride/facade/meet-and-greet vs. just the Ratatouille ride. I haven't ridden Frozen to compare.

Jones14

I'd be quite happy with it in Epcot as well, but I wouldn't put it as a better use of resources than 7DMT - I strongly prefer that ride and the aesthetics that it gives to Fantasyland. for me, it' a bout no par with the Little Mermaid if you include the mermaid ride/facade/meet-and-greet vs. just the Ratatouille ride. I haven't ridden Frozen to compare.
I think for me, Rat gets the edge because it feels like a complete experience. The coaster is fine, but the ride abruptly ends just when it seems like it's picking up the pace. The projected faces and swinging are nice, but the former contrasts far too much with the "regular" figures at the end, and the latter feels like it sucked up the budget without adding a great deal to the experience.

Little Mermaid is a terrible execution of a property that had so much potential. In no way would I consider it to be a good use of resources by the company.

csmat99

Thats like updating the US pavilion with the imperialistic/controlling police state.. and the Japanese pavilion to include the atrocities of world war II, Mexico with its corruption and drug wars and so on...:confused:
I do think Disney since that can't stop doing upcharge events should have one that include digging yourself out of mexico all the way to the US pavilion. o_O

RoysCabin

To me not everything has to be spectacular. I'm fine with smaller simpler offerings. The one caveat is the smaller offerings have to cost like their scale. The Rat was expensive, but garnered only moderate results. I want something that is E Ticket priced to be of E Ticket Quality and scale. Adding diversity of attractions can only be looked at as a plus, so long as they're not blowing through capital (like Toy Story Land).

Yeah, to piggyback off this I think part of the reason people do wonder about how much a ride costs, whether or not it's presented as a major attraction, etc., is because it impacts your expectations of the ride going into it, which can have a major effect on your final impression once you've experienced it.

For a long time, Disney, at least on the Orlando side of things, seemed to grow their experiences, as 60s introduced Pirates and Mansion, the 80s brought about the EPCOT pavilion style rides/shows/etc. that could range from 12 to even 40 minutes (then more if there's a larger pavilion to explore, e.g. how Imagination was sometimes a 2 hour stop when I was a kid), the 90s saw some of the big shows at MGM, the '00s brought along Kilimanjaro Safaris, all that jazz.

Recently, though, it feels we're getting a lot of hype for rides that end up being very short, and often underwhelming, and seeing major changes made or major money dropped and then getting an experience that doesn't even reach 5 minutes from the time you sit down to the time you exit can be a bit jarring. Those experiences still work in certain settings; for example, it's largely what Fantasyland was built on. However, in Fantasyland it worked a bit more given the layout, the architecture, and the overall vibe that was put forward; these were simpler rides, more straightforward, and you didn't get on them expecting to be whisked away for 12-15 minutes the way you would on Horizons or Spaceship Earth. Even Maelstrom, a short ride, was still paired with the port town and the short Spirit of Norway film, making a short ride into a more complete, 15 minute-or-so experience.

In this way, it may feel like a bit of a step backwards, or at least a bit confusing given what we've had built up over the years in our expectations.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom