1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by doctornick, Jan 12, 2017.

1. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

Yes. Folks are giving them too much credit suggesting they opted for Rat because BatB is represented elsewhere. My understanding is that when BatB was predicted to hit $100m in its first weekend and earn $700m total, they opted for the cheaper, quicker-to-build Rat due to a contrived time constraint (my personal theory is that they picked it to help with Star Wars crowds and have tabled the Mickey LPS). The stage show at DHS would then get its planned, and very necessary upgrades. Now that BatB is a global phenomenon, perhaps priorities will change, but I admit it would take a lot of shifting and money--not only the pricier ride for Epcot with a new ride system, but they'd also have the commence the Mickey LPS at the same time. One must not ignore the operational issues at DHS if GMR closes that could be avoided by instead building an LPS a mile northeast.

As you say, if they change their minds, that change must occur quickly. Which has occurred before.

They could not possibly care less that BatB is in MK. Every decision is based upon anticipated return and which park has a need and where. The last thing MK needs is more in Fantasyland at present. Expansion, if anywhere, will occur at the west or east fringes (likely east).

2. RobotWolf

RobotWolf Active Member

Is it too early to know if the film will still exist after the "upgrade?"

3. MansionButler84

It is planned to stay.

4. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Right now it's no longer 100% safe.

More like 80.

5. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

:(

JenniferS, Kman101 and PorterRedkey like this.
  6. MichWolv

MichWolv Born Modest. Wore Off. Premium Member

I hope the film itself gets an upgrade. The France of today is not the France of 1982.

7. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

A new movie that focuses on Provence, the south of France.

This way we can learn all about a provincial town and if there's more to this provincial life.

8. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

Shhh, don't give Disney ideas about that...

9. RobotWolf

RobotWolf Active Member

Holy ... We're not allowed to swear, right? Because I feel like using some grown up words right now. It's a freaking gem!

10. MansionButler84

Let's take the more nuanced approach and have Emma Watson show us that the Paris of her childhood is gone.

French Ewan McGregor sings the theme song?

Mike S likes this.
  11. MansionButler84

Interesting. Changes afoot.

12. Bocabear

Bocabear Well-Known Member

Or how about just updating some of the film clips and leaving the heart of the movie intact...The film is about the enduring beauty and rich never-changing traditions of the French people...so while some things do change, the heart of the country is still deeply traditional...

13. MansionButler84

How does that drive sales and BRAND loyalty?

14. Bocabear

Bocabear Well-Known Member

I thought the countries were supposed to be about the countries...not brand perse...

15. Fox&Hound

Fox&Hound Well-Known Member

Wait, maybe I missed this. @MansionButler84 , are you saying that we either get Rat or Mickey, but not both? Or that Mickey will come but at a later time because they would have Rat at the moment to satisfy guests?

16. marni1971

We should get both. As it stands.

17. marni1971

Tell me about it.

18. wdwgreek

wdwgreek Well-Known Member

GIVE ME THE RAT- SAVE THE GREAT MOVIE RIDE!

19. Fox&Hound

Count me in a small minority, but I don't think they need a ride in order to do BatB justice. I love Be our Guest and Gaston's is a great little nook in NFL and we eat there every time we are in MK. I love the look of Belle's cottage and eating at Be Our Guest. I feel like the movie is well-represented. And yes, I fully understand why many adults would hate on Belle's M&G and bemoan the use of space, but if you ask my three-year-old daughter, meeting Belle and acting in that skit for her was the highlight of her trip. I like that not everything is a ride. I think by giving us the music in Philharmagic, the food options in NFL, a show in DHS, and the meet and greet, BatB has excellent representation. Wouldn't a ride just repeat the same scenarios? Of look, we ride in a teacup and get to look at the ballroom scene or ride past Gaston's (oh wait, that is literally around the corner). What can they represent that they have not already done so? What other iconic moments do you want to experience? Or does it only count if you are siting in a vehicle and driving past such scenes in an omnimover? I haven't ridden the new ride yet, obviously, but I firmly believe their are multiple ways to represent and do justice to a film and I think a ride is simply one of the ways.

20. Fox&Hound

Oh okay. Thanks!!!!!